Nothing but Trouble: The Story of Althea…

Nothing but Trouble: The Story of Althea Gibson

by Sue Stauffacher

I liked reading this book for many reasons. I found colors of the illustrations in this book to be really interesting. Each time the main character, Althea, is shown in a picture she is surrounded by a watercolor rainbow of colors. This was not only captivating, but also symbolic of her importance to the story. In addition, I also liked the author’s use of repetition in the book. The phrase “she’s nothing but trouble” is repeated after pretty much every major life event that Althea experiences. This use of repetition creates a sense of predictability in the story. The message of this story is with hard work and determination you can achieve your dreams. Althea came from a poor urban family and had to spend years sacrificing her time and energy to become a successful tennis player. Eventually her hard work paid off when she became the first African American to win the Wimbledon Title. ( )
  KerryMcLaughlin | Nov 4, 2015 |
This is one of the best illustrated books I have seen. I love the water colouring that surrounds Althea in the whole book. It is like her intensity, love for the game and attitude perfectly visualized. I like how she was helped by a jazz musician it blended together and is a fascinating fact about her life.
I like that she is super sassy and does things her own way. She finds out how to harness those feelings to make her a better tennis player. Through that she achieved an amazing feat. ( )
  chrisriggleman | Apr 28, 2015 |
This is an excellent picture book biography. I don't know that it's subject was reflected in such a positive light, but the research was thorough and the writing was strong. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Sue Stauffacher tells the story of Althea Gibson, the first African American ever to compete for and win a Wimbledon Cup. The reader learns that as a child Althea was considered "trouble." However, she had one person that truly believed in her and encouraged her to work hard at her gift. A beautiful book that can provide encouragement and hope in all children. ( )
  AleciaDesselle | Feb 20, 2013 |
This was a great story about a woman who changed tennis so that African Americans could also be respected in the sport. More than Althea making a difference though I think that this story does a great job of showing what believing in someone can do. Buddy Walker always believed in Althea even when no one else did and that made her want to work harder and be better. I think this would be a great message to share with students that you may not be the person making the biggest difference but you can make a small difference to one person and it still means a lot. ( )
  LauraMcQueen | Feb 13, 2013 |

ALTHEA IS NOTHING BUT TROUBLE! Everyone agrees: her mama, her daddy, her teacher, even the policeman. But when Buddy Walker, the play leader on Althea's street in Harlem, watches her play paddle tennis, he sees something more: pure possibility. Buddy buys Althea her very own stringed tennis racket, and before long, she's on her way to becoming a great athlete - and to proving that she's more than just trouble.

Althea Gibson, born in 1927, was the first African American ever to compete in and win the Wimbledon Cup. Sue Stauffacher's lively text, paired with vibrant paintings by artist Greg Couch, captures the exuberance, ambition, and triumph of this remarkable woman.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:52 -0400)

A biography of Althea Gibson, the first black tennis player to ever compete in what is now known as the U.S. Open, and in the Lawn Tennis Championships in Wimbledon, England.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,892,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible