King rat by James Clavell

King rat (original 1962; edition 1975)

by James Clavell

Member:TheoClarke
Title:King rat
Authors:James Clavell
Info:London : Coronet, 1975.
Collections:LT connections, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

King Rat by James Clavell (1962)

English (29)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (32)
I don't know why I didn't read "King Rat" years ago when I read "Taipan" and "Shogun." This book was suspenseful, moving, and disturbing. Great read. ( )
  NatalieSW | Dec 2, 2016 |
This is a very moving and touching story. ( )
  hredwards | Jul 4, 2016 |
2.5 really - too YA ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Like _Hiroshima Joe_, this book provides the reader with an intimate description of a Japanese prison camp during WW2. Grizzly in its detail, we can only be grateful that we only have to read about this hell. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book as a young teen. I read it in 7th grade and then again in 9th. Not sure how I'd feel about it today as a middle-aged man with years and years of reading under his belt, but I suspect it might hold up fairly well. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
There was a war. Changi and Utram Road jails in Singapore do - or did - exist. Obviously the rest of this story is fiction, and no similarity to anyone living or dead exists or is intended.
For Those Who Were There
And Are Not,
For Those Who Were There And Are.
For Him. But Most,
For Her.
Changi was set like a pearl on the eastern tip of Singapore Island, iridescent under the bowl of tropical skies.

At a Japanese prisoner camp during World War II, an American corporal seeks dominance over captives and captors alike, using courage, knowledge of human weaknesses, and willingness to exploit every opportunity to enlarge his power and corrupt or destroy anyone who stands in his way.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,765,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible