King rat by James Clavell

King rat (original 1962; edition 1975)

by James Clavell

Title:King rat
Authors:James Clavell
Info:London : Coronet, 1975.
Collections:LT connections, Read but unowned

King Rat by James Clavell (1962)

English (23)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (26)
  Brenada | Sep 8, 2015 |
Finally I read this book. It really is a shame, that such an interesting book has stayed unread for quite some time.
But.... I simply loved it.
Of course, the subject is awful, the thought that people actually went through yeats of living as POW in camps like these under similar circumstances is really unnerving. I can't imagine either sides of the story told, to tell you the truth.
Nevertheless, it is a very intriguing book, highly recommended to those who like books by James Clavell or book on war in the Pacific. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jul 11, 2015 |
I need to re-read this one. Read it as a teenager and loved it. A story about the social dynamics in a rather harsh prisoner camp.

I'm surprised it is tagged as the first of the "Asian Saga" (which includes Shogun and Tai Pan) since it really (If I remember correctly) stays away from oriental culture and focuses mostly on the prisoners - the only exception being the final act by the Japanese commander, which echoes Shogun a little bit. ( )
  meekGee | Jul 6, 2015 |
I loved this book. The ending. I think on it quite often when I see that a person can thrive in one situation yet be useless in another, which describes all of us, really. ( )
  LynleyS | Jul 1, 2014 |
It is hard to imagine the true horror of life under Japanese occupation as a foreigner in the second world war, but this story does a good job at helping to understand that horror. The story is about more than survival in an inhumane prisoner of war (POW) camp, it is about capital, class, military hierarchy, rules and regulation, friendship and social organisations. The story is told through the lens of the fictional yet personal stories of the characters and the relationships they have between them and the situation and suffering of their loved ones. Survival is king! Amongst any group of survivors there are those that are better off because they are lucky. It is a warning and an education to learn of the rat eat rat reduction of humanity in Japanese POW camps. ( )
  agdturner | Jun 3, 2013 |
There was a war. Changi and Utram Road jails in Singapore do - or did - exist. Obviously the rest of this story is fiction, and no similarity to anyone living or dead exists or is intended.
For Those Who Were There
And Are Not,
For Those Who Were There And Are.
For Him. But Most,
For Her.
Changi was set like a pearl on the eastern tip of Singapore Island, iridescent under the bowl of tropical skies.

At a Japanese prisoner camp during World War II, an American corporal seeks dominance over captives and captors alike, using courage, knowledge of human weaknesses, and willingness to exploit every opportunity to enlarge his power and corrupt or destroy anyone who stands in his way.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,856,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible