Operating Instructions: A Journal of My…

Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year

by Anne Lamott

Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Son by Anne Lamott (meggyweg)
    Babyhood by Paul Reiser (meggyweg)
    The Poo Bomb: True Tales of Parental Terror by Jeff Vogel (meggyweg)
    Having Faith by Sandra Steingraber (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: These memoirs have different tones, but I found them both to be very honest, pensive accounts of the first year of motherhood.

Should be given as a present at every baby shower, but with very specific instructions for the mother-to-be not to read any of it until the baby is at least three months old. The experiences are so true to life. How can I say , "I laughed, I cried" in a new way? ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
I readily admit that I am not in the target audience for this book. I found some of it to be a bit too blunt, and Lamott to definitely be an opinionated woman. Yet, there is something intriguing in looking through another person's eyes as they experience the first year of motherhood, and everything that goes along with it. This is the kind of book that some people will really love, while others might find it questionable as to its value. Personally, I think it is probably a good choice for anyone who is expecting, and might want a small idea of what is to come. ( )
  TiffanyAK | May 8, 2015 |
If you're looking for emotional, this is it for you! This book will resonate with new mother's especially. This is a very candid look of life and it taught me many things. ( )
  mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |
You never fail, Annie. This time I was determined to give you a 4 or 41/2 stars, but no. You had to step it up in your usual dazzling way until 5 stars just isn't enough. Too many sticky bookmarks in this library book. Can't possibly copy all the great bits. Off to Amazon. Anne Lamott - wavering in her self-confidence sends us all her consequential gifts. (Read the book about your grandson first :) Love ya. ( )
  C-WHY | Jun 13, 2013 |
Entertaining, but I didn’t like it nearly as much as I had hoped. ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
This one is for Pamela Murray, and Sam Lamott
I woke up with a start at 4:00 one morning and realized that I was very, very pregnant.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044990928X, Paperback)

The most honest, wildly enjoyable book written about motherhood is surely Anne Lamott's account of her son Sam's first year. A gifted writer and teacher, Lamott (Crooked Little Heart) is a single mother and ex-alcoholic with a pleasingly warped social circle and a remarkably tolerant religion to lean on. She responds to the changes, exhaustion, and love Sam brings with aplomb or outright insanity. The book rocks from hilarious to unbearably poignant when Sam's burgeoning life is played out against a very close friend's illness. No saccharine paean to becoming a parent, this touches on the rage and befuddlement that dog sweeter emotions during this sea change in one's life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:46 -0400)

"It's not like she's the only woman to ever have a baby. At thirty-five. On her own. But Anne Lamott makes it all fresh in her now-classic account of how she and her son and numerous friends and neighbors and some strangers survived and thrived in that all important first year. From finding out that her baby is a boy (and getting used to the idea) to finding out that her best friend and greatest supporter Pam will die of cancer (and not getting used to that idea), with a generous amount of wit and faith (but very little piousness), Lamott narrates the great and small events that make up a woman s life."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,780,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible