Twelve Moons by Mary Oliver

Twelve Moons

by Mary Oliver

Twelve Moons by Mary Oliver is her fourth collection and as always nature is front and center. But above all this collection is about transformation and by extension the journey of life. Parallels are drawn between the grief humans feel and the changing seasons and the self-confidence of nature as it is seen in humans as mere glimpses or slivers of the moon.

“And sometimes, for a moment,/you feel it beginning — the sense/of escape sharp as a knife-blade/hangs over the dark field/of your body, and your soul/waits just under the skin/to leap away over the water./” (From At Blackwater Pond, page 49)

Oliver’s love of nature and awe of it transcends her lines and these pages, tapping into readers’ sense of childlike wonder about the world. It reminds us that there is a greater world beyond the meetings, the email, and the stress of our lives — a world where things can just be and live. Beyond the sense of wonderment is an air of caution about how we interact with this natural world and how we are at times the enemy.

Read the full review: http://savvyverseandwit.com/2010/08/twelve-moons-by-mary-oliver.html ( )
  sagustocox | Aug 19, 2010 |
I love Mary Oliver when I am spending too much time in the city. Her nature writing brings me into a lovely and natural world. ( )
  e_maki | Feb 14, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,660,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible