It's Not You It's Me (Red Dress Ink…

It's Not You It's Me (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback)) (edition 2004)

by Allison Rushby

Member:MissMac
Title:It's Not You It's Me (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback))
Authors:Allison Rushby
Info:James Bennett Pty Ltd (2004), Paperback, 288 pages

It's Not You, It's Me by Allison Rushby

I went through this one in an evening and a lie-in morning. I liked it a lot better than allmenarebastards.com. I found the characters rich, and I cared for them. The story arc wasn't too over-the-top, and the german (there's a fair bit of it) was well researched, and almost mistake-free! Bad German in literature is one of my favourite pet peeves. The mistakes in this book seemed to be more of a spelling nature rather than a general problem. She got the slang right, for sure. ( )
  kikilon | Mar 31, 2009 |
I really can't decide what to say about this book. I didn't like it almost from the getgo but felt I had to give it a fair shot because the author is a bookcrosser and because books I don't like but don't hate end up as a sort of personal challenge. Damn it, I will get through this book.

At the end, I still didn't like it. I skimmed through the last few pages just trying to see if it would end the way I thought it would. It did. This isn't to say it's badly written, it's not, I just don't like predictable romance/chick lit and I knew where this was going from the first chapter.

Never really warmed to Charlie, usually if I find that a character has a struggle, I feel for them. Not this time, I thought she was whiny. I also thought there were things left unclear to the reader. At one point Charlie is worrying about having to explain things to Jas but in the end doesn't have to because he "gets it". I'm glad he does because I know I didn't and that was part of why it was hard to get connected to the piece.

*Shrugs* So it's not the book, it's me. Didn't like the dig at the Americans though.Going to take this to meet-up tomorrow night in the event that there's someone who doesn't have a copy that wants it, otherwise I'll leave it at the cafe. ( )
  skinglist | Jan 11, 2009 |
  kikianika | Jun 19, 2006 |

She's heard all the lines. Now it's time for the truth!

Charlie has to keep pinching herself to believe she's leaving Australia for a trip to Europe -- a generous gift from her family, who know how tough her life has been lately. But the last person Charlie expects to bump into on the plane is Jasper Ash, international celebrity, rock-star sex-god -- and Charlie's former best friend, flatmate and . . .almost-lover!

It's been three years since Charlie impulsively jumped into bed with Jas, then a struggling student. But their nearly-one-night stand had just been warming up when Jas began the male "backing off" ritual, practically sprinting out the door with the classic excuse, "It's not you, it's me." Yeah, right. Everyone knows what that means: It is you! Not pretty enough, not successful enough -- just not enough.

Charlie has dealt with it -- and a whole lot more -- but the unanswered questions still niggle. Acting on impulse once again, she invites Jas to join her own European tour! And as they share hotel rooms, play at being tourists and dodge Jas's determined groupies, it becomes clear they're both at a crossroads in life. Before they can move on, they finally have to deal with the unfinished business between them -- starting with a serious conversation about that night.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:44 -0400)

"In January 2000, an Ambassador taxi twisted its way up the narrow road leading towards Dharamsala in the Himalayan foothills of northern India - the home-in-exile of the Dalai Lama. Inside was a fourteen-year-old boy, the 17th Gyalwa Karmapa, one of the most important figures in Tibetan Buddhism. His arrival was the culmination of an extraordinary escape that had brought him 900 miles across the Himalayas, in conditions of high danger, from the monastery in Tibet where he had lived since he was seven years old." "The Karmapas, the great wisdom teachers and miracle workers of Tibetan Buddhism, are the oldest line of identifiable reincarnates in Tibet, older even than the Dalai Lamas. When the 17th suddenly appeared in Dharamsala, everyone was taken by surprise - the global media, the Chinese government, his devotees around the world.". "Fascinated by this charismatic young figure, Mick Brown travelled to Dharamsala to meet him, and found himself drawn into the labyrinthine - not to say surreal - web of intrigue surrounding the 17th Karmapa's recognition and young life. The Karmapas traditionally leave a letter before they die, predicting exactly where their next incarnation will be found. The discovery of the 17th in 1992 shook the foundations of the Karmapa lineage, and was followed by the appearance of a contestant to his throne.". "In this feud of Byzantine complexity, Mick Brown gains unique access to both sides, following each twist in the tale with clarity and zest. Here are stories of miracles and allegations of murder, political conspiracy and the settling of two hundred-year-old scores. Piety jostles with greed, truth with falsehood, the strength of human aspiration with the frailty of human nature. And at the centre of it all is the extraordinary figure of one of the great spiritual teachers of the coming age: the 17th Karmapa."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 122,448,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible