Public Secrets by Nora Roberts

Public Secrets (1990)

by Nora Roberts

Public Secrets by Nora Roberts
Emma Parker, as a child she was told from her mom of her father, the rockstar and they lived in London.
Jane drinks, heavily and threatens to kill the child and herself after telling the TV reporters why they were abandoned by the rockstar.
was taken by her father as a child and lives with her father Brian and his pregnant girlfriend Bev. Her mom always hit her but she's happy to have money now to do what she wants.
The rockstar band travels to America and the females join them as they tour around making it big.
Story also follows Jane, a new apartment, lots of clothes, drugs, men and she thinks she sold her daughter for too low a price.
The unthinkable happens: they attempted to give the boy a shot and then kidnap him but something went wrong and Emma alerted others of the events, she fell down the stairs and broke her arm. She's never been able to talk about that night but is still holding all the secrets inside.
Bev leaves her husband and Emma and takes up with other band members but realizes it was she who had failed them.
I felt the book was way too long but it does cover a lifetime of some in the book.
Story follows Emma as she's now an adult along with members of the band. Surprised they were able to track down all the information about her toddler brothers death.
  jbarr5 | Feb 13, 2015 |
This story is about Emma McAvoy, her father brian, rock god, her junkie mother Jane who literally SOLD her at 3 years of age, & the tragedies in that family, one of which, the death of Emma's baby brother Darren, which takes over 20 years & 2 generations to finally solve. I have to admit, I didn't see the one coming. Not bad, & a relatively quick, easy, page turning read! ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 10, 2014 |
Good not great. Fairly typical contemporary romance. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 14, 2013 |
Love thisss. I couldnt put it down. ( )
  lee16 | Jan 31, 2013 |
I've been reading a lot of Nora Roberts lately and one thing I've noticed is that I like the full-length novels much better than the ones that are part of, say, trilogy collections (or maybe it's just the ones that were written for Harlequin or whichever series she started off writing for). There's much more character development, much more time for characters to actually do more than an immediate falling in love thing. Not that I mind that entirely, but perhaps I shouldn't read four 12-chapter books in a row in which the two characters see each other for the first time and are instantly smitten.

I actually started off a bit uncomfortable with this as there was a clear interest between an older teenager and a 12-yr-old. (At least I think that was her age at the time. It's been about a month since I've read the book and I've read a lot of NR books since! I seem to remember that it was my daughter's age, though, which made it that much more unsettling.) However, I've since come to recognize one of the patterns NR uses, which is to have characters meet early on, but then skip ahead a few years at a time. In this case, it made the romance that much more believable; even though it was a little frustrating that (SPOILER ALERT) it took so long for the two leads to get together, I liked that Michael basically carried a torch for Emma his whole life, even if it did start when she was a little too young.

In terms of the rest of the book, I have to admit that I skipped through a bunch of it as I simply can't deal with the particular event that created the whole suspense aspect of the book. And after spending the whole book thinking that there was a greater evil lurking in the background, the actual culprit was a bit of a letdown -- thus the 3.5. But I enjoyed all the rest of it enough to keep picking it up even when I didn't have any time to do so. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Aug 25, 2012 |

Nora Robertsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Salo, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A mon père qui fut mon premier héros
La jeune femme écrasa la pédale de frein et les pneus crissèrent dans le virage.

SOMETIMES THE BEST KEPT SECRETS ARE THE ONES EVERYBODY KNOWS...
EMMA. A frightened, lonely child, the illegitimate result of a pop music star's secret union. Until the magical day when her famous father rescues her and leads her into a very public, star-studded world of wealth and privilege.
EMMA: Happy, contented, devoted half sister to a new baby. Until the horrible night when men attempt to kidnap her brother. The night that shocks the world--and tears apart the very fabric of Emma's life.
EMMA. The overprotected child of a star, hounded by the press. Until the wonderful day when she discovers her own artistic talent and the secret fire that roars for her in the arms of a man--a fire that can burn out all too soon.
EMMA. Determined, self-sufficient career woman, her father's greatest strength. Until the chilling moment when she realizes that the darkest secret of all may be buried in her mind--a secret that someone might kill her to keep.
A novel of the passions Emma inspires--the saving love of one man ... the unremitting hatred of another.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553285785, Mass Market Paperback)

Emma.  Beautiful, intelligent, radiantly talented, she lives in a star-studded world of wealth and privilege.  But she is about to discover that fame is no protection at all when someone wants you dead....

All she has to do is close her eyes and she remembers the day Brian McAvoy swept into her life.  A frightened toddler, she didn't know then that she was his illegitimate daughter or that he was pop music's rising new star.  All she knew was that with Brian, his bandmates, and his new wife, she felt safe.  And when her baby brother arrived, Emma thought she was the luckiest girl in the world...until the night a botched kidnapping attempt shattered all their lives...and destroyed Emma's happiness.

Yet now, even though Emma is still haunted by flashes of memory from that fateful night, she has survived.  She's carved out a thrilling career and even dared to fall rapturously in love.  But the man who will become her husband isn't all that he seems.  And Emma is about to awaken to the chilling knowledge that the darkest secret of all is the one buried in her mind--a secret that someone may kill to keep.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:31 -0400)

Emma, the illegitimate child of a pop music star, is rescued from her violent, alcoholic mother by her famous father and brought into a world of glamour, wealth, and dark secrets.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,909,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible