Queen of this Realm by Victoria Holt

Queen of this Realm (1984)

by Victoria Holt

320434,663 (3.52)8

I own a copy and bookcrossed a copy.

amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
Highly recommended! Another simply magnificent work that should not be missed. ( )
  ejgrogan | Mar 20, 2011 |
I really like this historical fiction novel by Jean Plaidy. This is the second volume in Jean Plaidy's "Queens of England" series of books and it is written as a first person narrative, which makes this book highly readable. It makes Elizabeth I more relatable and more personable to the reader. The author takes the reader through Elizabeth's early years and her early and tumultous reign to the end. This is a great book for anyone interested in the period and likes historical-fiction. ( )
  Angelic55blonde | Jul 11, 2007 |
I definitely enjoyed reading this story. I know that someone less patient than I would have much trouble with the monotony of the novel. Elizabeth the I, while a fascinating historical character, becomes quite tedious throughout the book, especially as she really shows no change throughout the 400+ changes. At times the book dragged and the story became old. The constant repetition of various ideas and feelings often became frustrating. The entire book would do well to see the business end of the delete key.

Despite this I enjoyed the novel. I don't know that I would recommend it to anyone. Perhaps because I don't know anyone who would be interested in such a book. ( )
  elevesque | Sep 17, 2006 |
When I look back over the first twenty-five years of my life and consider the number of times I was in danger of losing it, I believe - as I have since that wonderful day when I rode into my capital city in a riding dress of purple velvet, beside me my Master of Horse, Robert Dudley, the most handsome man in England, and listened to the guns of the Tower greeting me, and saw the flowers strewn in my path- yes, I fervently believe that my destiny was to be a great queen.

In this "memoir" by Elizabeth I, legendary historical novelist Jean Plaidy reveals the Virgin Queen as she truly was: the bewildered, motherless child of an all-powerful father; a captive in the Tower of London; a shrewd politician; a lover of the arts; and eventually, an icon of an era. It is the story of her improbable rise to power and the great triumphs of her reign--the end of religious bloodshed, the settling of the New World, the defeat of the Spanish Armada. Brilliantly clever, a scholar with a ready wit, she was also vain, bold, and unpredictable, a queen who commanded--and won--absolute loyalty from those around her.

But in these pages, in her own voice, Elizabeth also recounts the emotional turmoil of her life: the loneliness of power; the heartbreak of her lifelong love affair with Robert Dudley, whom she could never marry; and the terrible guilt of ordering the execution of her cousin, Mary, Queen of Scots. In this unforgettable novel, Elizabeth emerges as one of the most fascinating and controversial women in history, and as England’s greatest monarch.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:37 -0400)

With her perilous path of accession to the throne behind her, Elizabeth the First, the cool-headed young British monarch, must restrain her passion for the dashing courtier Robert Dudley or risk her beloved country's welfare.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,700,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible