By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept: A…

By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept: A Novel of Forgiveness (1994)

by Paulo Coelho

brasil (11) Brazilian (20) Catholicism (7) Coelho (17) ebook (8) faith (11) fiction (225) forgiveness (11) inspirational (21) literatura brasileira (15) literature (19) love (48) magical realism (8) novel (43) own (11) owned (7) Paulo Coelho (20) philosophy (34) Pyrenees (8) read (23) religion (24) Roman (23) romance (11) Spain (13) Spanish (8) spiritual (19) spirituality (59) to-read (27) translation (8) unread (12)

Esta historia fue totalmente sorprendete para mi porque estaba viviendo una situación similar al personaje masculino. Estaba envuelta en el mundo religioso católico para consagrarme a una orden, pero sin más ni menos conoci a laguien y cambio todo, deje la orden y me embarque en ese romance de conocer a fondo esa nueva persona. Me pareció muy curioso leer esa historia.
A demás para mi todos los libros de Coelho son maravillosos, es mi escritor favorito. ( )
  Pamelangeles | Jul 3, 2014 |
A nice read. Stylistically, it's a quick an easy read with substance that goes beyond the explicit content. ( )
  j3745 | Feb 6, 2014 |
Es una buena historia de amor, pero se me hace algo predecible, lo que le quita encanto a ciertas partes. ( )
  MariaAlejandra | Feb 7, 2013 |
After re-reading this, my love for it did not lessen but it actually grew. I am not a fan of Paulo Coelho but this one is exceptional. It is a combination of religion and love. It is sad and happy at the same time. I really do love the ending. It had an unexpected twist in the end which I truly love. I love Pilar's character, I can easily relate to her, her insecurities, her fears and her dreams.

I recommend this to everybody. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Nov 4, 2012 |
Two childhood friends go on a journey together from Spain to the surrounding communities of the Pyrenees mountains. On their journey Pilar and her friend discuss the meaning of love, forgiveness and how to lead an adventurous life by taking risks to fulfill a dream. There is also the Pere who seems to become a mediator or advocate, a friend, between the man and woman. First of all, I thoroughly enjoyed the book, BY THE RIVER PIEDRA I SAT DOWN AND WEPT by PAULHO COELHO. I've had good conversation whether confrontational or peaceable while reading through the pages. Whatever the tone of the moment ideas flowed like good wine pass the three people to me. The transition to another world of spirituality and beauty made me see that moments in my life can be full of meaning.

I began the novel thinking one way, then, all of a sudden there was a switch in my mind. At first the male companion seemed to be the one capable and willing to teach Pilar the way to a spiritual life. I thought Pilar seemed more romantic. You know woman want romance. Man wants to pontificate about his great deeds. It is only after her male companion comes back from a time of solitude in the mountains do I see he is the one who will be changed by the woman's thoughts about forgiveness and what dream to follow in life. Oddly, when he comes from the mountaintop and meets the woman he grabs her and gives her a deep and intimate kiss. The kiss seems to say 'I want your body.' He is now willing to give up his life of spiritual growth in order to build a home with a white picket fence and do all that he thinks this woman, most women want for their lives. Here is the twisted dance. Pilar doesn't want any of the above. She wants to talk about spirituality.She wants to give her life away in service to other people. This is the walk, the journey she wants to share with her companion. I suppose both are striving to sacrifice themselves for one another in different ways.

In order that Pilar's strong spirituality is not overlooked. Paulo Coelho mentions Saint Teresa of Avila along with Bernadette of Lourdes and Of course, the Virgin Mother who understands our suffering because she experiences the death of Her Son. Broadening his points the author includes Psalm 137. I still have parts of the Psalm rushing through my head like fresh water. I will feel neglectful not to add the Psalm to the end of my book review. Most of the journey is through the French countryside. I feel the flavor of their journey will seem more lasting and real if I leave the Psalm here in the French language. Of course I can only read it in the English.

illuminatedleaves

Psalm 137
English Standard Version (ESV)
How Shall We Sing the Lord's Song?
137 By the waters of Babylon,
there we sat down and wept,
when we remembered Zion.
2 On the willows[a] there
we hung up our lyres.
3 For there our captors
required of us songs,
and our tormentors, mirth, saying,
“Sing us one of the songs of Zion!”
4 How shall we sing the Lord's song
in a foreign land?
5 If I forget you, O Jerusalem,
let my right hand forget its skill!
6 Let my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth,
if I do not remember you,
if I do not set Jerusalem
above my highest joy!
7 Remember, O Lord, against the Edomites
the day of Jerusalem,
how they said, “Lay it bare, lay it bare,
down to its foundations!”
8 O daughter of Babylon, doomed to be destroyed,
blessed shall he be who repays you
with what you have done to us!
9 Blessed shall he be who takes your little ones
and dashes them against the rock!biblegateway
  Tea58 | Aug 14, 2012 |

Paulo Coelhoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clarke, Alan R.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piippo, JaanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But wisdom is justified by all her children - Luke 7:35
For I. C. and S. B, whose loving communion made me see the feminine face of God; for Monica Antunes, my companion from the beginning, who with her love and enthusiasm spreads the fire all over the world; for Paulo Rocco, for the joy of the battles we have fought together and for the dignity of the battles we have fought between us; and for Matthew Lore, for not having forgotten a sage quotation from the I Ching: "Perseverance is favorable."
By the river Piedra I sat down and wept.
Every day, God gives us the sun - and also one moment in
which we have the ability to change everything that makes us unhappy. Every day, we try to pretend that we haven't
perceived that moment, that it doesn't exist - that today is the same as yesterday and will be the same as tomorrow. But if people really pay attention to their everyday lives, they will discover that magic moment. It may arrive in the instant when we are doing something mundane, like putting our front door key in the lock; it may lie hidden in the quiet that follows the lunch hour or in the thousand and one things that all seem the same to us. But that moment exists - a moment when all the power of the stars becomes a part of us and enables us to perfom miracles.

Tijdens een reis van een week door de Pyreneeën ontmoet Pilar, een studente uit Barcelona, een jeugdvriend van wie zij altijd is blijven houden. Deze vriend koestert gelijke gevoelens voor haar, maar zijn probleem is dat hij op het punt staat zich tot priester te laten wijden.
Via deze aangrijpende liefdesgeschiedenis toont Coelho ons de vrouwelijke kant van God. Dit prachtige boek werpt een ander licht op de kracht van de liefde en de ervaring van het spirituele. [Bol.com]

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061122092, Paperback)

This first United States paperback of By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept comes after huge worldwide sales of the novel of faith, romance, miracles, and the importance of following the heart's true path. The inspirational tale follows Pilar, a young woman from the Spanish countryside who, sparked by the teachings of a now-mysterious man she has known and loved since childhood, leaves her graduate studies and embarks on a spiritual pilgrimage through the Pyrenees Mountains and reevaluates her life and her future. Brazilian writer Paulo Coelho, author of the international bestseller The Alchemist, is considered to be one of the most widely-read Latin American writers in the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:10 -0400)

Pilar, an independent young woman, renews her relationship with a childhood friend who is now a maverick seminarian, and together they follow a spiritual path to true love.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,158,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible