Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The…

Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of… (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Jennifer Armstrong

Member:kgeorge
Title:Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance
Authors:Jennifer Armstrong
Info:Crown Books for Young Readers (2000), Edition: 1st Pbk. Ed, Paperback, 144 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:non-fiction, biography, 900s, pps 144, 6 - 12, history

Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance by Jennifer Armstrong (1998)

Narrative telling of the ill-fated British expedition in 1914 led by Sir Earnest Shackleton to traverse the Antarctic continent, but the ship Endurance was locked and wrecked in ice. The entire crew survived, through the bravery and leadership of Shackleton and the expert navigation (pre technology of radio, radar, satellite) of captain Worsley. Photographs and motion film of the expedition also survived remarkably to tell the story.
  lrubin75 | Nov 3, 2014 |
I think the big message in this story is about perseverance. I liked this story because it was written well to keep my interest. I do not normally like historical books but this one was written well enough to keep me reading. Another thing I enjoyed about this book was the characters. They were thought out well and had depth about them. ( )
  rjayne2 | Oct 23, 2014 |
While I have not finished this book but what I have read, I have enjoyed so far. It is an inspirational story of 27 brave men and their will to stay alive. I enjoyed flipping through the pictures and reading the descriptive captions. I feel this book would be a great read for a middle school aged student. I feel this age grop would really like reading about this story. Teachers could use this informational text within their classroom for a science (discuss weather/ climate conditions), socail studies (locating areas on the map), and perhaps a character building lesson on bravery and friendship.
  dbushnell3 | May 6, 2014 |
Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World was a pretty interesting read. It tells the story of how Schackleton’s grand plans to be the first to travel the length of the Antarctic turned into a cold, wet, and miserable experience for him and his crew. Yet they managed to make the best of it and persevere, eventually being rescued. I was surprised that none of the crew died. I think it could be used in a classroom as a way to encourage creative writing pieces in students, or a lesson involving sensory language. Although I can’t say that I am in love with this book, I think that Jennifer Armstrong has a talent for descriptive writing, even from the start of the book, her just imagine section. It wasn’t always a pretty picture that she painted (it was often ugly and quite smelly too), but she did a great job of it. I did think that there were a lot of terms that students will find puzzling that could have been defined in a glossary of terms. That would have added something to the value of this book for me. I did love the pictures! I mean they really speak volumes, and I felt grateful to get such an insight into this great (mis) adventure that Shackleton and the rest of the Endurance crew had undergone. Aside from the photographs and wonderful detail, what I love best about this book was the ingenious ways that Shackleton managed to save his crew--from bordem, as well as starvation and death. ( )
  epenton | May 5, 2014 |
"Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance" is actually about three survival stories in one, involving Captain Ernest Shackleton and his expedition to Antarctica - any one of which would have been worthy of its own book. And the most amazing part is that despite the unfathomable hardships, everyone came back alive. The incredible photographic plates that the team took and then saved while they were trying to survive are what make the story come alive. ( )
  jpmeehan | May 5, 2014 |
For Jim: I'd go to the ends of the earth for you.
Just imagine yourself in the most hostile place on earth.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375810498, Paperback)

The harrowing survival story of English explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton and the ill-fated Endurance has intrigued people since the 1914 expedition--spurring astounding books such as Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage and The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition. As Shackleton and 27 sailors attempted to cross the frozen Antarctic continent from one side to the other, they were trapped in an ice pack, lost their ship to the icy depths, survived an Antarctic winter, escaped attacks from sea lions, and traversed 600 treacherous miles to the uninhabited Elephant Island. Leaving 22 men behind, Shackleton and five others sailed 800 miles across the southern Atlantic Ocean in a 20-foot open boat to tiny South George Island, where they hiked across unmapped mountains to a whaling station. In 1916, 19 months after the Endurance became icebound, Shackleton led a rescue party back to retrieve his men. Remarkably, every crew member survived.

Jennifer Armstrong, the award-winning author of Black-Eyed Susan and The Dreams of Mairhe Mehan, brings the unbelievable journey to life with delicious details: how a handsome young stowaway was discovered too late to cast him off; how the ship itself would become frost-white, looking like "another species of sparkling white iceberg as it nosed its way through the pack;" and how the ice-pack-dwelling Emperor penguins seemed to enjoy the banjo music of crew member Leonard Hussey. The true-to-life story is as thrilling as they come, and Armstrong's lively, crystal-clear writing style is just as compelling. More than 40 photographs of the expedition populate this inspiring nonfiction adventure story that young readers will devour from cover to cover. (Ages 10 to 14) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:07 -0400)

"Describes the events of the 1914 Shackleton Antarctic expedition when, after being trapped in a frozen sea for nine months, their ship, Endurance, was finally crushed, forcing Shackleton and his men to make a very long and perilous journey across ice and stormy seas to reach inhabited land."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,334,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible