Mini Mia and her darling uncle by Pija…

Mini Mia and her darling uncle (edition 2007)

by Pija Lindenbaum

Member:GLBTRT
Title:Mini Mia and her darling uncle
Authors:Pija Lindenbaum
Info:New York, NY : R&S, 2007.
Tags:GLBTRT, Rainbow Book List, 2008

Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle by Pija Lindenbaum

This is a great book to teach children voice in writing. The use of dialouge to depict Mia's jealousy and childishness is pure genius. Apart from that, this is a very good book to help children to be aware of homosexuality in the community without being too explicit about it.
  joshuachanyh | Nov 29, 2013 |
The book illustrates how hard it can be to share a special loved one with someone else. I thought Ella's (Mini Mia's) battle with herself here was well portrayed, and although it doesn't talk about the exact same feelings it reminded me of [b:Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse|825081|Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse|Kevin Henkes|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348951683s/825081.jpg|1223344] where resentment is handled in a mature way.

I don't share the view of those who think the book encourages bad behavior. In my opinion, being overly didactic with children often misses the mark. Even three to four year olds often understand more about social dynamics than you think they do. It was quite clear to me, but also to my 4 year old, that Ella's behavior in the book was not exemplary. After the second display of rogue behavior I turned to my son and asked "What do you think?" He quietly shook his head and said "That's not nice!" "It's hurtful to say someone's pants are ugly!" He didn't need a mommy figure in the book to step in and spell those things out. And, anyway, this was not the purpose of the story, more important here, I think, was for them to understand that they are not the only ones to experience feelings of jealousy, but that things often work out all the same.

Also, I don't honestly see the bad in portraying uncle Tommy as this cool, fun friend yet who isn't good at soccer, but who obviously is way more interesting than his three still-living-with-mother brothers. Yes, visual details give little clues about Tommy's personality: Stereotyping? Maybe, but at least it's rather in a good way. He's hip, thus ... ? And, we're all victims of stereotyping anyway. Hey, my little guy yesterday had to tell off his 4 year old girlfriend who in a spurt of jealousy for his pretty tableware lashed off: "You can't use that plate, pink is for girls only!" He told her "Get over it! I don't care. I like pink and I like flowers and that's my choice!!" Finally, I happen to think that Tommy's choice of shirts in bright color prints is his way of defeating stereotype anyway. And he's visibly very accepting of Ella being who she is too. So, let's just all accept each other, and there! ( )
  Fjola | Oct 17, 2013 |
Ella, nicknamed "Mini Mia" because she loves soccer and idolizes Mia Hamm, is always thrilled when she gets to spend time with her fun-loving Uncle Tommy. But when a strange Scotsman named Fergus appears one day at Uncle Tommy's house, and always seems to be around, Mini Mia does everything she can think of to discourage him...

This is the classic story of a child's jealousy, in which the object of jealousy just happens to be a gay uncle's new boyfriend. It is refreshing to see a picture book in which a gay couple are featured, not as the "issue," but as just one matter-of-fact aspect of a charming story. No awkward Heather Has Two Mommies here, thank goodness!

Pija Lindenbaum is a Swedish author and illustrator for children, and her engaging story is well matched by her vibrant, humorous illustrations. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 1, 2013 |
When I saw the cover I was intrigued, but it was Brian's review at BookDads that sold me on Mini Mia and her Darling Uncle.
  TheReadingTub | Jan 26, 2011 |

Ella, whose nickname is "Mini Mia" because her favorite soccer player is Mia Hamm, loves spending time with her uncle Tommy but finds herself a bit put out when she has to share him with his new boyfriend Fergus.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible