Christmas Stalkings by Charlotte MacLeod
When the weather outside is frightful, curl up with New York Times -bestselling masters of holiday mystery Elizabeth Peters, Margaret Maron, and more! A New England college hosts a counterfeiting scrooge, an angelic chorister falls to earth, a tight-fisted patriarch realizes his days are numbered, and a politician presents his wife with an explosive gift. In Christmas Stalkings, bestselling mystery author Charlotte MacLeod gathers fellow partners in crime for a collection of capers that will keep you reading-and guessing-all through the night. Spend the twelve days of Christmas enjoying tales of holiday mayhem. From secrets in a snowy graveyard to schemes in the Deep South to mischief in Manhattan, this stocking full of cozy stories is to die for. This festive anthology includes thirteen stories by Charlotte MacLeod, Reginald Hill, Elizabeth Peters, Medora Sale, John Malcolm, Dorothy Cannell, Bill Crider, Patricia Moyes, Evelyn E. Smith, Eric Wright, Mickey Friedman, Robert Barnard, and Margaret Maron.… (more)

Old-timey stories, mostly good with some a touch above; those by MacLeod, Crider and for Maron an introduction to Deb'rah. ( )
  jamespurcell | Apr 5, 2018 |
Warning: Biased opinion here. I don't like crime novels and I really don't like reading British-type novels that are supposed to be scary or suspenseful because they turn out to be neither for me. Way to much propriety and beating around the bush for me. This book was in my TBR pile as a gift & I thought I'd give it a whirl. I did not like it at all but I feel that others who enjoy detective/crime novels might. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Dec 15, 2017 |
This is a collection of short stories by a variety of authors. Some of them are fairly good, but others are not so great. I have not read the author’s other collection of stories, so I cannot compare them. I also have not read other works by the authors, so I was very unfamiliar with their styles and any characters they may have included in other books or short stories. For me, the stories were okay, just not great. They lacked the suspense and excitement I have found in other similar short stories and novels. In addition, in a couple, the jargon used was very unfamiliar to me, so I had to continually stop and try to figure out what the author meant or look the term up. These cases, in particular, were very British, and I figured I just was not familiar enough to know British slang terms. However, this did not lend to my enjoyment of the story. I looked forward to this collection, as I love mysteries and enjoy themed stories, but, after reading the book, came away disappointed and unsatisfied. There were few times I was eager to read on to see what was going to happen, but, in some cases, I was more than ready to have the story end before it did (a first for me when reading this genre). I was not quite sure about the short author (I assume it was the author) introductions before each story, as I did not find that they added much to the tales. They were in italics, so at least I knew they were not part of the story and when they began and ended. Finally, I figure this is a good book to read if you are looking for something short that relates to the holiday, or if you are familiar with any of the authors or their other works. In addition, since each story is separate, you can pick up and put down the book easily, which helps during this busy season. I received this from NetGalley to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Nov 26, 2016 |
i really like these collection of short stories. i might even look up some of these authors and read their novels. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 17, 2016 |

Sale, MedoraContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, Evelyn E.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wright, EricContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hess, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deck the halls with boughs of holly,
Fa, la la la la, la la, la la. (Counterfeit Christmas)
Nettleton was a tall, tweedy man in late middle age with a face like one of those snooty dogs that rich folk crap up poor folk's parks with. (The Running of the Deer)
I did not have a hangover. (Liz Peters, PI)
Annabel Cousins looked at her watch. (Angels)
Submit to fate without unseemly wrangle
Such complications frequently occur
Life is one complicated tangle
Death is the only true unraveller
The Grand Inquisitor
The Gondoliers
by Gilbert and Sullivan
(The Only True Unraveller)
Jane was not on the stoop, nor yet on the walk. She, the dedicated house cat, was over on the green. She, the snob who shunned all lesser felines, the timid soul who wouldn't even go back across the Crescent to visit her own mother at the Enderbles', was leading a squad of racous felines in a concerted attack on the third gingerbread house. (Counterfeit Christmas)
My desk squatted there like an archaeological mound, layers-deep in the accumulated garbage of living. I had to step over a couple of bodies to get to it. There was another limp carcass on my chair. When I moved it, it bit me. (Liz Peters, PI)
Fighting my way out, I saw once respectable women coshing each other with handbags, or throttling people as they tried to hitchhike piggyback rides. (The January Sale Stowaway)
She swung her purse and hit him on the side of the head. The purse was so heavy Burns thought it might have a compact car inside it. (The Santa Claus Caper)
That effectively stopped her, as he had known it would. He was an anthropologist; he knew the customs of her tribe. If she had been married to him, she could have put her foot down, but he was her lover -- had been her lover for more years than most marriages endured in her circle -- and so she had an obligation to him that would not have devolved upon a wife. (Miss Melville Rejoices)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,923,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible