The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford

The Pursuit of Love (original 1945; edition 2010)

by Nancy Mitford, Zoë Heller (Introduction)

Member:lisacharlotte24
Title:The Pursuit of Love
Authors:Nancy Mitford
Other authors:Zoë Heller (Introduction)
Info:Penguin (2010), Edition: Re-issue, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites

The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford (1945)

English (29)  Spanish (5)  French (1)  All languages (35)
Me hubiera gustado un montón estar en lo cuarto de los Ísimos con Fanny y Linda! ( )
  cloentrelibros | Aug 23, 2016 |
Had heard so much about it and was expecting so much of ot ( probably that is the problem)

Big Ship
May 2016 ( )
  bigship | Jun 25, 2016 |
Book Description Nancy Mitford’s most enduringly popular novel, The Pursuit of Love is a classic comedy about growing up and falling in love among the privileged and eccentric. Mitford modeled her characters on her own famously unconventional family. We are introduced to the Radletts through the eyes of their cousin Fanny, who stays with them at Alconleigh, their Gloucestershire estate. Uncle Matthew is the blustering patriarch, known to hunt his children when foxes are scarce; Aunt Sadie is the vague but doting mother; and the seven Radlett children, despite the delights of their unusual childhood, are recklessly eager to grow up. The first of three novels featuring these characters, The Pursuit of Love follows the travails of Linda, the most beautiful and wayward Radlett daughter, who falls first for a stuffy Tory politician, then an ardent Communist, and finally a French duke named Fabrice.

My Review This book was a great insight to how woman lived their lives before WWII. It delves into the themes of love, marriage and the guilelessness of a young lady when entering into a love relationship. Nancy Mitford's entertaining wit and sarcastic humor is a reminder of Jane Austen. The characters are very believable and make for a very lighthearted book. I would recommend this to everyone who enjoys a classical read. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
I wasn't sure about this at first. It took a while to get going. I found the characters too superficial and frivolous until Linda heads for France and is transformed. Then the superficiality made sense as context for such an alteration. I ended the book loving Linda. I enjoyed the way Mitford brought to life Linda's reluctant capitulation to love, and the way she becomes more solid as a result. The backdrop of the Spanish Civil War and the Second World War provide a striking relief to the intensity of Linda's personal experiences. ( )
  missizicks | Apr 21, 2016 |
Gave up on this one about halfway through. There were funny parts in it, but overall it didn't really capture my interest or my imagination.
  ImperfectCJ | Apr 17, 2016 |

Nancy Mitfordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fox, EmiliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pym, RolandIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singer, MalvinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vickers, HugoIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gaston Palewski
There is a photograph in existence of Aunt Sadie and her six children sitting round the tea-table at Alconleigh.
We worked hard, mending and making and washing, doing any chores for Nanny rather than actually look after the children ourselves. I have seen too many children brought up without Nannies to think this at all desirable. In Oxford, the wives of progressive dons did it often as a matter of principle; they would gradually become morons themselves, while the children looked like slum children and behaved like barbarians.
"Education! I was always led to suppose that no educated person ever spoke
of notepaper, and yet I hear poor Fanny asking Sadie for notepaper. What is
this education? Fanny talks about mirrors and mantelpieces, handbags and
perfume, she takes sugar in her coffee, has a tassel on her umbrella, and I
have no doubt that if she is ever fortunate enough to catch a husband she
will call his father and mother Father & Mother. Will the wonderful
education she is getting make up to the unhappy brute for all these endless
pinpricks? Fancy hearing one's wife talk about notepaper - the irritation!'

... `She'll get a husband all right, even if she does talk about lunch, and
*en*velope, and put the milk in first.'
Note: wrong product description printed below! Most likely due to erroneous ISBN. The Pursuit of Love is a humorous portrayal of an eccentric upper-class British family (a thinly-disguised version of the Mitfords) in Britain during the 1920s-40s. Narrated fondly by cousin Fanny, the novel focuses on Linda Radlett and her efforts to find true love and fulfillment.

I think this edition has the wrong ISBN -- it appears to be the same as a book called Who Has Your Heart by Emily E. Ryan.

Oh, the boredom of waiting to grow up! Longing for love, obsessed with weddings and sex, aristocratic Linda Radlett, her sisters and Cousin Fanny fantasize about the perfect lover, but Mr Right proves hard to find. Linda must face years with…

The snobbery and false values of the English country nobility are satirized in these two love stories involving the well-established Radlett and Hampton families.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,423,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible