dismiss

The Clan of the Cave Bear (1980)

by Jean M. Auel

Series: Earth's Children (1)

The Clan of the cave bear is the first of Jean Auel's Earth's Children series. Ayla, a tall, blond, blue-eyed girl lost her family in an earthquake. She is nurtured and protected by some members of the Clan, but there are those who would cast her out because of her strange and threatening ways. Ayla's adventures 25,000 years ago include details of the world as it might have been.… (more)
    Picture Maker: A Novel by Penina Keen Spinka (GCPLreader)
    Raven : roman over een jagerszoon in het stenen tijdperk by Jan Houdijk (Smitie)
    Smitie: Dutch book about a young boy from a hunter/gatherer tribe travels to the east and discovers a whole new culture of the first farmers. A very nice tale from the historic period after the ice ages.
    The Kin by Peter Dickinson (mene)
    mene: I thought "The Kin" was a bit similar to Jean M. Auel's "Earth's Children" series (book 1 being "The Clan of the Cave Bear"), though Dickinson's book is really targeted at children and it's also written from the childrens' viewpoints. The similarities are that both books take place in the prehistory (although CotCB a LOT later, around 35.000 years ago), both have clans of people who speak and clans who don't speak (and the speaking-people debating whether the non-speaking clans are really people or just people-like animals), and in both books the characters travel through the land. Both authors also describe the landscape very well, though in a different way. The differences are the target audience and consequently the events. In Dickinson's book, it's not really a problem if someone from the speaking-clan gets a child with someone from a non-speaking-clan, but this is a big problem in Auel's books.… (more)
    Across the Face of the World by Russell Kirkpatrick (wali5905)
    Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (mcenroeucsb)
    The Inheritors by William Golding (Cecrow)

English (221)  Spanish (13)  Dutch (9)  French (5)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  All languages (251)
This is a well loved series so thought I would give it a go. This series starter was entertaining but I did find it predictable. I thought it pointed how the feminist bent of the book is so applicable today. Female hero making discoveries and teaching clan there is no particular virtue in doing things they way they have always been done. However, I did think some of the characters were right out of central casting and the progress of the story was somewhat predictable. Good if you like this sort of thing. ( )
  jldarden | Jul 13, 2020 |
This was recommended to me by one of my teachers and I really loved it. It's a pity that the rest of the books didn't live up to the standard of the original. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
1r volum de la col·lecció els fills de la terra
  stJosep | Mar 25, 2020 |
So, I picked up this book at the story right after the Venus of Hohle Fels showed up on my radar. I was craving some discourse about the Goddess, and craving some insights and ideas about these figurines with whom I identify to a very literal, surface extent. I looked up Venus worship, and there was Jean M. Auel's series. I'd heard much about it already from other folks, notably my parents, who had really enjoyed the first few books when they came out.

It's a fascinating book. I have some issues with it - it's often contrived (especially in dialogues), it suffers from a little too much "rich and beautiful description," and it's outdated (which is not Auel's fault - we didn't think Homo neandertalensis could speak until well after the book was written). But I like it for its large, sweeping vision of a time different than our own, for its wide use of female perspectives, for its parable-like qualities, for its subject matter, for its drama!

On a separate note that is less review and more shooting off at the mouth, I'm intrigued that she made the Homo neandertalensis humans (those of the Clan of the Cave Bear) were the ones who were patriarchical, while I can only assume that I will find in the next book, when I make it there, that the Homo sapiens humans (those like Ayla and modern humans) are matriarchal Goddess worshippers. Being a modern human, and firmly planted in a patriarchy makes me think it might have been the other way around, if it had been at all. And, yes, there are a few matriachical societies among modern humans, we think, and a few more are matrilineal, but this hardly makes it a trend.

I enjoyed it. It was long and arduous at times, but I'm still thinking about a few months later, so that can't be bad, right? ( )
  barrettlucero | Aug 28, 2019 |
Ayla is found by the Clan after an earthquake. They are cromagnum (I assume) and she's other, with her blond hair and blue eyes. While she's very smart, quick and curious these things are not appreciated. Women of the Clan must be meek, mild, obedient. Ayla struggles with these things and is singled out by one of the men who is suppose to be the next leader of the Clan. He torments her. This can be a hard read at times, I know women have come a long way but it can be hard to read about abuse being so accepted. The characters characterizing things in more current descriptions and medical terms was also jarring, popping me out of the story. Some of the events are graphic and may be hard for those sensitive to abuse.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |

[None]
for RAY
My worst critic
—and best friend
The naked child ran out of the hide-covered lean-to toward the rocky beach at the bend in the small river.

From the back of the book:Here is a novel of awesome beauty and power. A moving saga about people, relationships and boundaries of love. Through Jean Auel’s magnificent storytelling, we are taken back to the dawn of mankind nd swept up in the wonderful world of a very special heroine, Ayla. Her enthralling story is one we can all share. A natural disaster had left young Ayla alone, wandering, fending for herself in an unfamiliar land. One day she is discovered by the Clan of the Cave Bear, men and woman far different from her own people. The tall blond, blue eyes Ayla is a mysterious stranger to the Clan and at first they mistrust her and cast her out. But as she grows to know them and learn the ways of the clan, she is welcomes. And as she leads them in the struggles for survival, the clan comes to worship Ayla. For in her blood flows the future of humanity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,843,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible