Les enfants de la Terre (1) : Le Clan de…

Les enfants de la Terre (1) : Le Clan de l'ours des cavernes (original 1980; edition 1994)

by Jean M. Auel

Member:mcv
Title:Les enfants de la Terre (1) : Le Clan de l'ours des cavernes
Authors:Jean M. Auel
Info:Traduction de : The clan of the cave bear Titre d'ensemble : Les enfants de la terre 1 Publication : Paris : Pocket, 2012 Description matérielle : 537 p. : couv. ill. en coul. ; 18 cm Collection : Pocket ; 3260 Précédemment paru sous le titre : "Ayla, l'enfant de la terre"
Rating:*****
Tags:B4, préhistoire

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel (1980)

Picture Maker: A Novel by Penina Keen Spinka (GCPLreader)
    Across the Face of the World by Russell Kirkpatrick (wali5905)
    Raven : roman over een jagerszoon in het stenen tijdperk by Jan Houdijk (Smitie)
    Smitie: Dutch book about a young boy from a hunter/gatherer tribe travels to the east and discovers a whole new culture of the first farmers. A very nice tale from the historic period after the ice ages.
    The Kin by Peter Dickinson (mene)
    mene: I thought "The Kin" was a bit similar to Jean M. Auel's "Earth's Children" series (book 1 being "The Clan of the Cave Bear"), though Dickinson's book is really targeted at children and it's also written from the childrens' viewpoints. The similarities are that both books take place in the prehistory (although CotCB a LOT later, around 35.000 years ago), both have clans of people who speak and clans who don't speak (and the speaking-people debating whether the non-speaking clans are really people or just people-like animals), and in both books the characters travel through the land. Both authors also describe the landscape very well, though in a different way. The differences are the target audience and consequently the events. In Dickinson's book, it's not really a problem if someone from the speaking-clan gets a child with someone from a non-speaking-clan, but this is a big problem in Auel's books.… (more)
    Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (mcenroeucsb)

English (203)  Spanish (10)  Dutch (9)  French (4)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  All (229)
So my ACTUAL feelings about this book are "it was okay I guess," but it was advertised to me as soothing explanations of nature things, and I am happy to report, all of this is true!

That being said: Auel explains in her notes that she spent an immense amount of time doing research for this, and I'm sure that's true, but the repeated assertion that Neanderthals were intensely patriarchal just feels very uncreative to me. Like I don't know anything about the research she did, but I don't think the Neanderthals had any idea of gender--and it would be more interesting that they did.

I also wasn't warned there were rape sequences in this book, so I want to make sure I say they exist. It felt very "what the fuck why is this in this book" (like what in her research made her go "hm I guess rape exists in this universe"--although maybe she was like "hm since they're Very Patriarchal that seems like a thing.") I guess what bothers me about these things is they don't come off as creative or interesting choices, and it posits humanity as this group that is like "better" because they're presumably less patriarchal and like not quite ma'am!

BUT, as I said: the descriptions of herb-gathering and hide-preparation was all very soothing, so if you're down with that and can ignore the weird gender stuff going on in this book, it may be really interesting to you! ( )
  aijmiller | Jun 6, 2017 |
A little slow, but very interesting. Almost lost me towards the end with the invention of rape. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
Áhrifamikil bók, miklar jurtalýsingar, ekki barnvæn,
  sonjamoso | Aug 31, 2016 |
Took me quite a while to finish reading this. I found the story too long & it dragged in many parts, so I kept putting it down to read something else before going back to it again.
Would not spend my time reading any of the sequels to this novel. ( )
  Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |

Mörling, MikaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for RAY
My worst critic
—and best friend
The naked child ran out of the hide-covered lean-to toward the rocky beach at the bend in the small river.

From the back of the book:Here is a novel of awesome beauty and power. A moving saga about people, relationships and boundaries of love. Through Jean Auel’s magnificent storytelling, we are taken back to the dawn of mankind nd swept up in the wonderful world of a very special heroine, Ayla. Her enthralling story is one we can all share. A natural disaster had left young Ayla alone, wandering, fending for herself in an unfamiliar land. One day she is discovered by the Clan of the Cave Bear, men and woman far different from her own people. The tall blond, blue eyes Ayla is a mysterious stranger to the Clan and at first they mistrust her and cast her out. But as she grows to know them and learn the ways of the clan, she is welcomes. And as she leads them in the struggles for survival, the clan comes to worship Ayla. For in her blood flows the future of humanity.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553381679, Paperback)

When her parents are killed by an earthquake, 5-year-old Ayla wanders through the forest completely alone. Cold, hungry, and badly injured by a cave lion, the little girl is as good as gone until she is discovered by a group who call themselves the Clan of the Cave Bear. This clan, left homeless by the same disaster, have little interest in the helpless girl who comes from the tribe they refer to as the "Others." Only their medicine woman sees in Ayla a fellow human, worthy of care. She painstakingly nurses her back to health--a decision that will forever alter the physical and emotional structure of the clan. Although this story takes place roughly 35,000 years ago, its cast of characters could easily slide into any modern tale. The members of the Neanderthal clan, ruled by traditions and taboos, find themselves challenged by this outsider, who represents the physically modern Cro-Magnons. And as Ayla begins to grow and mature, her natural tendencies emerge, putting her in the middle of a brutal and dangerous power struggle.

Although Jean Auel obviously takes certain liberties with the actions and motivations of all our ancestors, her extensive research into the Ice Age does shine through--especially in the detailed knowledge of plants and natural remedies used by the medicine woman and passed down to Ayla. Mostly, though, this first in the series of four is a wonderful story of survival. Ayla's personal evolution is a compelling and relevant tale. --Sara Nickerson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:08 -0400)

Twenty years ago The Clan of the Cave Bear became a blockbuster, launching a bestselling saga. Beginning April 30, 2002, its success will reach all - new heights, with Crown's hardcover publication of the fifth volume in the story, The Shelters of Stone. The new hardcover, paired with Bantam's spring mass market repackaging and repromotion effort, will ensure that a whole new generation is introduced to this incredible epic. Summer delivers trade paperback editions of this contemporary classic, available for the first time ever. That means that all readers - and all booksellers - can get the novels in their format of choice. With momentum for these epics at its highest in over a decade, readers will yearn to discover the magic of Ayla's saga, or to refresh their memory of it. And one woman's odyssey, beginning at the dawn of time, will once again capture the imagination of millions. This novel of awesome beauty and power is a moving saga about people, relationships, and the boundaries of love. Through Jean M. Auel's magnificent storytelling we are taken back to the dawn of modern humans, and with a girl named Ayla we are swept up in the harsh and beautiful Ice Age world they shared with the ones who called themselves the Clan of the Cave Bear. A natural disaster leaves the young girl wandering alone in an unfamiliar and dangerous land until she is found by a woman of the Clan, people very different from her own kind. To them, blond, blue-eyed Ayla looks peculiar and ugly - she is one of the Others, those who have moved into their ancient homeland; but Iza cannot leave the girl to die and takes her with them. Iza and Creb, the old Mog-ur, grow to love her, and as Ayla learns the ways of the Clan and Iza's way of healing, most come to accept her. But the brutal and proud youth who is destined to become their next leader sees her differences as a threat to his authority. He develops a deep and abiding hatred for the strange girl of the Others who lives in their midst, and is determined to get his revenge.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,074,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible