C Programming Language (2nd Edition) by…

C Programming Language (2nd Edition) (original 1988; edition 1988)

by Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie

Member:PeterPhillips
Title:C Programming Language (2nd Edition)
Authors:Brian W. Kernighan
Other authors:Dennis M. Ritchie
Info:Prentice Hall PTR (1988), Edition: 2, Paperback, 274 pages
Tags:C

The C Programming Language (2nd Edition) by Brian W. Kernighan (Author) (1988)

If you write software in C, this book needs to be on the shelf. ( )
1 vote cawilliams | Apr 11, 2016 |
I read this years ago when I was first taking C. I don't have this edition, but an earlier one. After wading through several other books, I kept coming back to this one as a reference while programming. It is deceptively short & sweet. Re-reads constantly found me more avenues to explore using their basics.

I gave a copy to my son & he came to the same conclusion. While other, larger, & more specific books come & go as C evolves, this basic work is a must for any serious programmer. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
After you have learn a little bit about C and feel somewhat comfortable, get this book. It will be the only book about C you will need on your shelf. ( )
  ManuelCaveira | May 18, 2014 |
I literally stood in line outside a bookstore, waiting for them to open, so that I could buy this book. I love the blurb on the back, referring to the first edition (aka K&R C):

The first edition of this classic book will remain in print as the original definition of the C programming language. It will remain in print until compilers based on the final ANSI Standard for C become universally available to the C programming community.

Wonder what year that finally happened?

Before I forget, in addition to writing one of the most important computer language books out there, Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie are fine and decent human beings (RIP, Dennis M. Ritchie). ( )
  Lyndatrue | Jan 17, 2014 |
-horrible language, C, no soul, undocumentable, but popular
-this book makes C as clear as possible, the best reference available
-at least it is short
-it helped me make a living as a programmer ( )
  mykl-s | Aug 28, 2013 |

Kernighan, Brian W.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ritchie, Dennis M.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Janich, ErnstTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schreiner, Axel-TobiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The computing world has undergone a revolution since the publication of The C Programming Language in 1978.
This is the second edition of "The C Programming Language", which describes "ANSI C", rather than the outdated language "K&R C" described in the first edition.

Please do not combine into or separate from this work unless you are very confident that it is the right thing to do: especially in the case of translations.

If in doubt, post a message to Combiners! K&R C, ANSI C: one work or two?.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0131103628, Paperback)

Just about every C programmer I respect learned C from this book. Unlike many of the 1,000 page doorstops stuffed with CD-ROMs that have become popular, this volume is concise and powerful (if somewhat dangerous) -- like C itself. And it was written by Kernighan himself. Need we say more?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Introduces the features of the C programming language, discusses data types, variables, operators, control flow, functions, pointers, arrays, and structures, and looks at the UNIX system interface.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,801,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible