Long Day's Journey into Night by Eugene…

Long Day's Journey into Night (original 1955; edition 2002)

by Eugene O'Neill, Harold Bloom (Foreword)

Member:agbram
Title:Long Day's Journey into Night
Authors:Eugene O'Neill
Other authors:Harold Bloom (Foreword)
Info:Yale University Press (2002), Edition: 2nd, Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:Fiction, Drama, Literature

Long Day's Journey into Night by Eugene O'Neill (1955)

English (25)  Catalan (1)  All (26)
Multi-media version ( )
  tgamble54 | Sep 11, 2017 |
Wow, what a depressing and dull read. I cannot imagine what it would have been like to actually sit there and watch this on a stage. I appreciate the style O'Neill brought with him when it came to details. That was really unusual and interesting. However, none of the characters were even somewhat likable and the story was so depressing. After reading this I am much more grateful for my family. We have our problems but nothing like this. I think it is worthwhile to take a look at this play because O'Neill's style is so different, but don't be surprised if you hate it. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
It had been so long that nothing could blow my mind the way this play did! And I regret putting it off for some time! Long Day's Journey into Night somehow reminded me of Salinger's Franny and Zooey, the picture of a family who hopelessly struggle to find their lost self. And the fact about these two works is that you won't find any sense in them, if you never shared the same kind of desperation. ( )
  GazelleS | May 11, 2016 |
There is so much stage direction in this play that it was difficult to get into reading it. But the characters develop well and the story unfolds into a thought provoking situation. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

Eugene O'Neillprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bloom, HaroldForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siltanen, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Living room of James Tyrone's summer home on a morning in August, 1912.
This entry is for the script of the play; please do not enter any of the filmed or televised versions of the play here.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0300093055, Paperback)

This work is interesting enough for its history. Completed in 1940, Long Day's Journey Into Night is an autobiographical play Eugene O'Neill wrote that--because of the highly personal writing about his family--was not to be released until 25 years after his death, which occurred in 1953. But since O'Neill's immediate family had died in the early 1920s, his wife allowed publication of the play in 1956. Besides the history alone, the play is fascinating in its own right. It tells of the "Tyrones"--a fictional name for what is clearly the O'Neills. Theirs is not a happy tale: The youngest son (Edmond) is sent to a sanitarium to recover from tuberculosis; he despises his father for sending him; his mother is wrecked by narcotics; and his older brother by drink. In real-life these factors conspired to turn O'Neill into who he was--a tormented individual and a brilliant playwright.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:30 -0400)

James Tyrone, a semiretired actor, is vain and miserly; his wife Mary feels worthless and retreats into a morphine-induced haze. Jamie, their older son, is a bitter alcoholic.*

Yale University Press

3 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300093055, 0300046014, 0300094108

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,176,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible