Ireland -A novel by Frank Delaney

Ireland -A novel (edition 2008)

by Frank Delaney

Member:SirThomasPC
Title:Ireland -A novel
Authors:Frank Delaney
Info:Harper Collins (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Read, Own, Your library
Tags:Irish, history, fiction, myth

Ireland by Frank Delaney

Frank Delaney spins a wonderful yarn about Ireland. The story consists of a series of stories with a surprise ending. I liked reading as well as listening to it. Delaney has a lovely voice, very Irish. ( )
  Your_local_coyote | Dec 29, 2013 |
What a pleasure to read! I've read quite a few historical novels set in Ireland from the Tuatha De Danann to the Easter Rebellion and nothing put it all together as well as this. And in such a light and interesting way. Reading this book is like examining the facets which make up a beautiful diamond -- you see little minute parts of a history that gradually comes together in a wonderful story. For example, I've read complete novels about the potato famine. The 3 or 4 page story of the the doctor's anquish examing the potato leaves left me with a clearer feeling of the terror of famine than many complete books have done.

At first I wasn't sure I was going to like the chapters alternating between "plot" and "story" but it didn't take too long to begin to see the connection and then I was totally pulled in and found it hard to put the book down. This book is a delight.2005-06-15 ( )
  maryreinert | Aug 16, 2013 |
I've been recommending books to my mom to read since she retired. She read Ireland on her own and then insisted I read it. Really - she's been insisting for close to a year. She kept raving about how good it was.

So I felt bad about the unfairness of me giving suggestions but not taking them. Finally, I started working on the book. It's much longer than anything I suggested and my free time is scarce. About halfway through - I mention I'm reading it and I think it's alright, but not great. She replies, "Yes, I thought the book was just alright...but his previous book, Tipperary was really good!" Not falling for it again!

Anyway, reason it was just alright - I liked the storytelling aspect and I liked the convoluted "way leads to way" unfolding of the novel. What I didn't like was that the big revelations (one about halfway through the book and one very near the end) seemed pretty obvious way before they were actually stated. So the "aha!" moments were more like, "Yeah, I figured..." moments. Delaney IS a storyteller and his prose is good, so there's that. I can endorse this book as one to read curled up by the fire on a winter's night...enjoyable...but sorry mom, if I ever do read Tipperary, it'll be somewhere down the line. Oh - one thing I really didn't like though - it's really really rare that I don't wince when I read a poem or song within a novel. It's a bit of a pet peeve I guess and Delaney throws one in and I winced. Leave poems to poets or at least to collections of poems unless you can pull it off. ( )
  Sean191 | May 24, 2013 |
Most delightful book! History with magnificent stories. ( )
  Harrod | Apr 19, 2013 |
I just finished Ireland-A Novel, by Frank Delaney and I was sorry to see it end. Not that it had a poor ending, quite the contrary, but I will so miss this wonderful family and their friends. This book was a Christmas present from a cousin in England, and he's now my favorite cousin!

A story that spans the 1950's through the late '60/early 1970's, Mr Delaney was able to weave the whole history of a great island culture within the pages of this great escape. By writing the story of a storyteller, Mr Delaney gave us not one, but several grand stories. Unlike those who use time travel, never once is the reader lost, merely we are gently transported as if in a dream, only to wake to our own life; or in this case, our main story.

Ireland, a land of happy wars and sad love songs, is filled with history and myth; never sure which is which. Mr Delaney bares the soul of the land and does it well, even making the wounds bare able. My only twinge, and it is my own, is that I was left with the feeling that Mr Delaney seems to be no friend of the Catholic Church. I might be wrong, but it was the taste left in my mouth. Other than that, please pick up a copy and enjoy the trip across Ireland, her length and breath, and time. ( )
  SirThomasPC | Jan 7, 2013 |
Wonderfully, it was the boy who saw him first.

In the winter of 1951, a storyteller, the last practitioner of an honored, centuries-old tradition, arrives at the home of nine-year-old Ronan O'Mara in the Irish countryside. For three wonderful evenings, the old gentleman enthralls his assembled local audience with narratives of foolish kings, fabled saints, and Ireland's enduring accomplishments before moving on. But these nights change young Ronan forever, setting him on a years-long pursuit of the elusive, itinerant storyteller and the glorious tales that are no less than the saga of his tenacious and extraordinary isle.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:19 -0400)

An epic tale-within-a-tale based on the history of Ireland finds a traditional wandering Storyteller revealing his life experiences while forging a poignant new relationship in the home of an eight-year-old boy.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,343,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible