Dark of the Moon by John Sandford

Dark of the Moon (2007)

by John Sandford

Series: Virgil Flowers (1)

1,203None6,623 (3.68)26
(5) 1 (6) 2008 (7) audio (6) audiobook (11) crime (19) crime fiction (9) detective (9) ebook (7) fiction (66) hardcover (9) HC (5) John Sandford (6) library (5) Lucas Davenport (10) Minnesota (29) murder (13) mystery (107) mystery fiction (4) own (6) police (12) police procedural (7) read (17) Sandford (6) serial killer (6) series (20) suspense (16) thriller (33) to-read (22) Virgil Flowers (46)
    Bad Blood by John Sandford (bookymouse)
    bookymouse: Same Series - Virgil Flowers
    Rough Country by John Sandford (bookymouse)
    bookymouse: Same Series - Virgil Flowers
    Heat Lightning by John Sandford (bookymouse)
    bookymouse: Same Series - Virgil Flowers

I do like this series better than the Sandford's long-running Davenport books, which has become a bit too redundant. This title is the first of the series. Virgil Flowers is with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (kind of a state FBI but with a totally weird name - it really exists.) He has has been sent by Davenport (head of the BCA who always makes cameo appearances in the Flowers' novels) to investigate the killing of a local physician and his wife. The murders have the feel of a revenge killing. On his way there, on the outskirts of town, he stops to watch a fire of the Judd residence. Judd had been hated by most everyone in the community and it's clear the fire is an arson; the amount of accelerants estimated to have been some 20 cans of gasoline used to get things going. That had me wondering. I've lit a pile of brush sprinkled with about a quart of gasoline and damn near singed my eyebrows when it went off. The idea of spreading gasoline around a house with pilot lights etc., and then lighting it makes me wonder how anyone could have done that and escaped injury.) As the investigation progresses, another man and his wife are killed and Virgil is scrambling to find a link between them.

We briefly see the killings from the point-of-view of the killer, (totally unnecessary, I thought) identified only as Moon which may be a link to a Man-on-the-Moon party that had happened many years earlier or perhaps it relates to the victims all being staged to face to the east. No one knows, but one old senile woman keeps mentioning the man-on-the-moon.

Couple all of that with the DEA and a meth-lab bust, not to mention a local church devoted to a whites only message, a sheriff who wants to get re-elected, one suspect the sheriff is dating and another Virgil is sleeping with who happens to be the sheriff's sister, and you have an explosive mix.

I listened to this. Excellently read by Eric Conger. ( )
  ecw0647 | Oct 30, 2013 |
This was the first book of John Sandford's that I have read and enjoyed it and wanna read more of his collection. This book kept me thinking and kept my mind wanting more throughout. ( )
  askum | Aug 21, 2013 |
I enjoy exploring other areas when I am reading, and the State of Minnesota is a state I have visited while reading a bakery mystery series. The Virgil Flowers series is more intense and better written than the other Minnesota series. This story has many twists and turns while Virgil attempts to solve the murders of 5 elderly people and to find the Man in the Moon. I like the character description and the setting description, but sometimes felt too at a loss as to what was happening. The ease of forming intimate relationships seems a little too simple, but then people follow strange habits. Also, I felt that Virgil's boss gave him too much free rein. ( )
  delphimo | Jul 13, 2013 |
Although I like John Sandford's Prey series, I did not enjoy this book. I almost gave up on it on several occasions. The story was slow, boring and went nowhere. I will continue reading the Prey books but will not read more from this series. ( )
  hchannell | Apr 27, 2013 |
Flowers (that eff'n) was only headed for Bluestem to take a deposition. But when the most reviled man in town burns to death after a particularly gruesome double murder, the Minnesota BCA agent finds himself neck deep in small town secrets, lies, and motives.

Sanford's heroes aren't always the most morally upright, but they're flawed in (mostly) the right directions. A good, fast, action-packed read. ( )
  SunnySD | Mar 10, 2013 |

John Sandfordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Conger, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jansen in de Wal, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Benjamin Curtis

Happy Birthday, 2007
Six garbage bags full of red cedar shavings, purchased two at a time for a dollar a bag, at midnight, at the self-serve shed at Dunstead & Daughter Custom Furniture, serving your fine cabinetry needs since 1986.

Virgil Flowers

Three murders in just as many weeks in the quiet rural town of Bluestream is unheard of. It’s also no coincidence. And it’s not over: Detective Virgil Flowers is about to be pulled into the middle of a killer’s violent personal vendetta.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:33 -0400)

"Virgil Flowers, tall, lean, late thirties, three times divorced, hair way too long for a cop's, kicked around for a while before joining the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. First it was the Army and the military police, then the police in St. Paul, and finally Lucas Davenport brought him into the BCA, promising him, "We'll only give you the hard stuff."" "He's been doing the hard stuff for three years now - but never anything like this."… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible