The Tortilla Curtain by T. Coraghessan Boyle

The Tortilla Curtain (1995)

by T. Coraghessan Boyle

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Theme of workers' rights
    The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Theme of workers' rights
    The Harvest Gypsies by John Steinbeck (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: These are articles Steinbeck wrote about how California has used immigrant labor in it's history. Nothing like The Tortilla Curtain, but it is interesting background and will give you something to think about.
    Coyotes: A Journey Through the Secret World of America's Illegal Aliens by Ted Conover (Mrs.Stansbury)
    Mrs.Stansbury: If you would like to read a nonfiction account of illegal immigration try "Coyotes" by Ted Conover. Both Conover and Boyle attempt to be unbiased in their writing and open eyes to all sides of the issues associated with illegal immigration.

English (72)  German (4)  All languages (76)
I'm writing this review in July of 2015, so there is still more than a year before the next US Presidential election. The issue of people crossing into the USA from Mexico has already been raised and I assume will become a subject all the candidates will talk about, especially as we move out of the primary season and into the general election. This is the reason I chose to read The Tortilla Curtain. It is the story of two couples: Delaney and Kyra Mossbacher, a writer and a real estate agent who live in Southern California, and Candido and America Rincon, two Mexican nationals who have crossed the border illegally in hopes of working where the economy is better and, in the process, improving their lives. It was published in 1995, so some parts are a bit dated, but the main issue hasn't changed.

I skimmed through other reviews before writing my own and felt most of the people who didn't like this book were on one side or the other of the political argument. That's the trouble with writing about an issue such as this. But a writer's job is to make us think and I felt T.C. Boyle did a good job of showing the problems of both the couples and in the process showing both sides of the political issue. When the problems of a couple who are trying to protect their home and lifestyle are compared with the problems of a couple who are trying to find food and shelter, the latter couple's issues seem more serious. But the Mossbachers' problems are very serious as well and include more than one situation which could result in death. All four of the people at the center of this novel have their own dreams. The people also change as the story is told, making them all seem real and flawed.

The interactions between the residents of the development where the Mossbachers live and the Mexican immigrants is the core of the story. But it isn't the only issue. Some of the immigrants react in negative ways that cause additional problems for the other immigrants. And there are disagreements among the suburban home owners as to how to deal with the issues affecting their community.

I would recommend this novel to anyone who wants a better understanding of the border issue, but also to anyone who just wants to enjoy a good read.

Steve Lindahl – author of Motherless Soul and White Horse Regressions ( )
  SteveLindahl | Jul 30, 2015 |
T. C. Boyle reminds me of a kid on the playground taunting, "made ya look." He's an emotional hijacker; he can make you look through any character's eyes at unpleasant, ironic human realities that we'd all prefer to forget. In The Tortilla Curtain, Boyle is at the top of his perspective-shifting, biting-black-humor game. This time Boyle is riffing on the immigration issue in suburban Los Angeles, making the reader look through the eyes of Mexican illegal immigrants, and then through the eyes of wealthy Californians. "Nature red in tooth and claw" is ever-present, lurking around the edges, seeking whom she may devour.

What really separates humans? Boyle forces us to address this question. Is it wealth? Race? Nationality? The luck of the draw? Work ethic? Our perception of what constitutes the "good life"? And what about the division between decent people and cold-blooded violent psychos of whatever background? Ultimately, you conclude, everybody is just trying to survive within a very chaotic, crazy-funny, heartbreakingly tragic universe. Boyle is America's Dickens and Wilde rolled into one, and this novel is genius. I recommend it with one caveat: don't go into the California desert with Boyle unless you really want him to make ya look. ( )
  JMlibrarian | Mar 3, 2015 |
Great story with contemporary social relevance. ( )
  anitatally | Feb 7, 2015 |
Here is a book that I feel I could read several times and still not get all of the many layers and themes it encompasses. It is the tale of 2 families, one affluent and White, one extremely poor and Mexican, and how their lives mixed.

Emotionally, it is a difficult read that addresses issues of homelessness, poverty, racism, rape, and other violence. It is a book I wish I could say is "total fiction", but unfortunately I cannot.

Very worthy of your time and thoughts. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Very worthy of your time and thoughts. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Boyle, T. Coraghessanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Commandeur, SjaakTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grüneis, RobertForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Häupl, MichaelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richter, WernerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They ain't human. A human being wouldn't live like they do. A human being couldn't stand it to be so dirty and miserable. — John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
Afterward, he tried to reduce it to abstract terms, an accident in a world of accidents, the collision of opposing forces - the bumper of his car and the frail scrambling hunched-over form of a dark little man with a wild look in his eye - but he wasn't very successful.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014023828X, Paperback)

Winner of the Prix Medicis Etranger

Topanga Canyon is home to two couples on a collision course. Los Angeles liberals Delaney and Kyra Mossbacher lead an ordered sushi-and-recycling existence in a newly gated hilltop community: he a sensitive nature writer, she an obsessive realtor. Mexican illegals Candido and America Rincon desperately cling to their vision of the American Dream as they fight off starvation in a makeshift camp deep in the ravine. And from the moment a freak accident brings Candido and Delaney into intimate contact, these four and their opposing worlds gradually intersect in what becomes a tragicomedy of error and misunderstanding.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:51 -0400)

The lives of two different couples-wealthy Los Angeles liberals Delaney and Kyra Mossbacher, and Candido and America Rincon, a pair of Mexican illegals--suddenly collide, in astory that unfolds from the shifting viewpoints of the various characters.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,164,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible