Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes

Chrysanthemum (original 1991; edition 2007)

by Kevin Henkes, Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)

Member:alissabecker
Title:Chrysanthemum
Authors:Kevin Henkes
Other authors:Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books
Rating:*****
Tags:Chrysanthemum, Victoria, flower, teasing, nickname, identity

Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes (1991)

This was one of my favorite books when I was was child. I loved everything about the book especially the message and the illustrations. First, the author had incredible pictures that made me want to read the book more than once. My favorite picture in the book is Chrysanthemum on her way to her first day of school. The author drew her in bright colors and it always reminds me how I felt on my first day of school - happy as the sunshine. Second, I love the message the book has to offer. The big idea of this book is that it is okay to be different, it is what makes us unique! I related to this book because I always felt that my name was out there and I endured bullying because of it. Chrysanthemum's classmates made fun of her name until they met their music teacher who has a long name that would barely fit on her name tag. When the music teacher tells the class that she's thinking about naming her daughter Chrysanthemum, suddenly everyone in the class loves her name! This book sends a wonderful message about acceptance. ( )
  Kelsey_Barrell | Feb 18, 2015 |
This book is a delightful story about a girl whose parents love her very much and name her Chrysanthemum, which she loves is her name, until kids at school begin to make fun of her. This could prompt a discussion on bullying, self worth, and how your words make people feel. I love the illustrations. I would be cautious if you have a foster student or students from freshly broken families as reading this might be upsetting, seeing whole, happy, loving families as opposed to theirs. ( )
  AmandaLK | Feb 5, 2015 |
Chrysanthemum is a story of a young girl mouse who grows up and absolutely loves her name. That is until she has to go to school. While at school Chrysanthemum is constantly bullied for having such a unique name after a flower. The children continuously bully her stating that her name is to long, it doesn't even fit on a name tag, and she's named after a flower, ew. Chrysanthemum struggles with this, but her parents constantly reassure her that her name is absolutely perfect, she doesn't think so. It isn't until a surprise visit from the music teacher where she explains that she too has a name so long that it doesn't fit on a name tag, and is also named after a flower, Delphinium, that Chrysanthemum finally feels better about her name. This book is a good representation of bullying, family support, and acceptance.

Teaching Ideas: teach children about bullying and how its bad, as well as why not to bully, also teach children about acceptance and how to love each other for how they are. ( )
  aehunter | Jan 15, 2015 |
This is a book about a little mouse named Chrysanthemum, who grows up loving her name, until she goes to school. The other students tease her all day long every day at school for having such a unique named. Every day, she puts up with the other mice ridiculing her for her name, and every evening, her parents give her love and support and reassure her that her name (and everything else about her) are "perfect." Finally, the music teacher tells the class that her first name is Delphinium, and that she's named after a flower, just like Chrysanthemum. Chrysanthemum feels better about her name, and all the other mice think that her name is cool.
This book is a good example of family support. Chrysanthemum's parents support her through her rough start to school and they do a lot to help her. On one page, you can see her father reading a book called "A Rose by Any Other Name...Understanding Identity." It's a way of reassuring kids that even though kids at school may tease you, you have people who love and cherish you. ( )
  hphipp2 | Dec 7, 2014 |
I would use this book to introduce the meaning of bullying to my classroom. It teaches us that words can hurt people's feelings. Children can learn to acknowledge and reconsider their comments before they express them to the group or to a classmate.
  emilystrong | Nov 30, 2014 |
The day she was born was the happiest day in her parents' lives.

My favorite of all the MANY Kevin Henkes books I've read recently, Chrysanthemum is the story of a little girl mouse who believes that her name is perfect... until some nasty girls at school tell her differently. Henkes resolves the story beautifully -- with a teacher who also has a long flower name -- and is sensitive throughout to the hurt that Chrysanthemum feels. Henkes' child protagonists are always supported and always found to be in the right, and the resolution always comes in a way that isn't mean-spirited.

A wonderful, comforting book for young children, with enough clever asides in the illustrations to keep parents engaged as well.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688147321, Paperback)

Until Chrysanthemum started kindergarten, she believed her parents when they said her name was perfect. But on the first day of school, Chrysanthemum begins to suspect that her name is far less than perfect, especially when her class dissolves into giggles upon hearing her name read aloud. That evening, Chrysanthemum's parents try to piece her self-esteem back together again with comfort food and a night filled "with hugs, kisses, and Parcheesi." But the next day Victoria, a particularly observant and mean-spirited classmate, announces that Chrysanthemum's name takes up 13 letters. "That's half the letters in the alphabet!" she adds. Chrysanthemum wilts. Pretty soon the girls are making playground threats to "pluck" Chrysanthemum and "smell her."

Kevin Henkes has great compassion for the victims of childhood teasing and cruelties--using fresh language, endearing pen-and-ink mouse characters, and realistic dialogue to portray real-life vulnerability. He also has great compassion for parents, offering several adult-humor jokes for anxious mommies and daddies. On the surface, the finale is overly tidy and the coincidences unbelievable. But in the end, what sustains Chrysanthemum, as well as this story, is the steadfast love and support of her family. And because of this, the closure is ultimately convincing and utterly comforting. ALA Notable Book, School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, Horn Book Fanfare Honor List. (Ages 4 to 8) --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:43 -0400)

Chrysanthemum loves her name, until she starts going to school and the other children make fun of it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,658,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible