I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by…

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Lauren Child, Lauren Child (Illustrator)

Title:I Am Too Absolutely Small for School
Authors:Lauren Child
Other authors:Lauren Child (Illustrator)
Info:Perfection Learning (2005), Hardcover
Tags:school, family, special needs

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by Lauren Child (2003)

I really enjoy the Charlie and Lola books and Lauren Child's unique writing style. Charlie embodies everything a brother should be. He's a protective, affectionate, and patient older brother. This would be a great book to read to children just starting school because it talks about Lola's apprehensions of starting school, which a lot of children can relate to. ( )
  ashleypierce | Nov 2, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. First, I loved how the author formatted the text along with the illustrations. Each page displayed a unique text format with different font sizes and shapes. Often times the words curve around the illustrations or are hidden inside objects on the page. For example, on one page the text is arranged so it fits perfectly into the table that Charlie and Lola are sitting at. In addition, I also liked that the plot of this story is something that children can relate to. Many children get nervous when they are first starting school just like Lola did. However, after her brother Charlie lists reasons why it is important for her to go to school she begins to feel less nervous. The main message that readers can draw from this story is the importance of taking chances. At first Lola is very hesitant about starting school and keeps giving Charlie excuses why she can’t go. However, after her first day at school she has a great time. This shows how it is important to open yourself to new experiences because you never know how they might turn out. ( )
  KerryMcLaughlin | Sep 16, 2015 |
A great book to begin the year especially with Kindergartner and 1st graders. Funny read aloud, realistic fiction and relatable by students.
  cswetland | Jul 31, 2015 |
I think the book “I Am Too Absolutely Small for School” would be a really great book for a read aloud, but not a great book for young students to read on their own. I think it would be a good book for a read aloud because it is silly and teaches children some of the important reasons we go to school. For instance, Lola says, “I know lots of secrets. I don’t need to read words, and I’ve got all my books in my head. If I can’t remember, I can just make them up.” And her brother says “But Lola, what would you do if there was an ever-so-angry orge who would not go to sleep unless you read him his favorite bedtime story?” However, I do not think many young children would be able to read this book on their own because of the way the text is written. A lot of the text is small, and not in a normal font. Also, the words are sometimes scattered around the page or written in squiggly lines and loops. This type of print would be very hard for a young child to follow and read on their own, but is very interesting to look at during a read aloud. The main idea of the story is that it is normal to be nervous about going to school for the first time, but school is important so you must push through your fears. ( )
  kriley5 | May 10, 2015 |
This book is about two siblings talking about school. The younger sibling thinks shes too young to go to school because she can do only certain things and makes up excuses on why she doesn't need to go to school. Charlie the older sibling continues to tell Lola things that she might need to learn. Lola begins to understand that she might just need to go to school to learn more. Eventually, Lola goes to school and doesn't ave a problem with it at all, it was her imaginary friend that she was worried about. ( )
  kdufrene | Mar 26, 2015 |

"The children's relationship is refreshingly noncombative, with Charlie as the protective and affectionate older brother who is appreciative of, rather than annoyed by, his sister's quirkiness." - SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL (starred review)

Lola is not so sure about school. After all, why would she need to count higher than ten when she never eats more that ten cookies at a time? Once again, it's up to ever-patient big brother Charlie to persuade Lola that school is worthwhile — and that her invisible friend, Soren Lorensen, will be welcome, too.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:35 -0400)

When Lola is worried about starting school, her older brother Charlie reassures her.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763628875, 0763624039

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible