I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by…

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Lauren Child, Lauren Child (Illustrator)

Member:cmendoza
Title:I Am Too Absolutely Small for School
Authors:Lauren Child
Other authors:Lauren Child (Illustrator)
Info:Perfection Learning (2005), Hardcover
Tags:school, family, special needs

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by Lauren Child (2003)

This book is great when children start school! Whether it is kindergarten or pre-k. I know children are usually nervous there first day of school! Reading them this book puts them in Lola's persepective and can maybe make the first day a little better! I would definitely use it in my class! Bravo! ( )
  CMJohnson | Apr 28, 2014 |
I thought this was a cute book for readers who are anxious about going to school for the first time. First, it was engaging because the main characters are from a popular TV show, Charlie and Lola. This would be an automatic fun read for anyone who likes the show. Second, Lola’s character is very easy to relate to for someone who is nervous about going to school. She discusses everything from a child’s perspective with immature reasoning, which is funny for me to read but would also be understandable terms for readers in the appropriate interest level. For example, on the second page Lola says, “I am absolutely not big. I am still really quite small” which is her reasoning for not being ready for school. On this page are Charlie and Lola’s characters lined up against a wall of graph paper with height labels such as “Huge, big, biggish, slightly small, tiny, and eeny weeny”. Another reason for her not wanting to go to school is because her “imaginary friend” might not be able to sit next to her. This is another hook for young readers, who at that developmental stage often do have special friends that affect their decision-making. The only feature of this book that I did not like was that some of the sentences were written in swirls rather than in straight lines. For an emerging reader, this would not be helpful to them and may take away from the story, especially if they are trying to read it independently. Other than that, I think this book pushes readers to be brave since at the end of the story the main character ends up having a great first day at school and even comes home with a friend! The message of this story is to encourage students that school is not a scary place and that they should feel excited about going to school. ( )
  Sulick1 | Mar 28, 2014 |
This is a funny story about Lola who decides she is too small to go to school. Charlie then explains to Lola all the reasons she must go to school. In the end, Lola's reasoning about why she shouldn't have gone to school is pushed aside as she enjoys her first day and makes a new friend.

This story illustrates many children's concerns about starting school. I love that it's the older brother that convinces Lola of all the reasons she should go to school. And in the end, we find out that school wasn't so bad after all. I would use this book for first grade and under. I think it's a great way to get students at young ages to relax about going to school. I think it's something they can relate to very well and this would be something they would enjoy. ( )
  breksarah | Feb 26, 2014 |
This book is a wonderful book for children who are just entering school. Lola is nervous to start school but her older brother Charlie helps her understand that school is not a scary place. The book includes text that draws the reader in because it swirls and twists around some of the pages. It also includes Lola's invisible friend who is illustrated with a clear raised image which is interesting for the children as well.
  SKugle | Oct 1, 2013 |
Lola is old enough to start kindergarten, but thinks she is too small to go. She is very nervous about starting school and Charlie talks about all the great things but she is unconvinced. The first day she goes she loves it and makes a friend right away. This is a good book to read to someone who is about to start school and is nervous about it.
  aclemen1 | Apr 25, 2013 |

"The children's relationship is refreshingly noncombative, with Charlie as the protective and affectionate older brother who is appreciative of, rather than annoyed by, his sister's quirkiness." - SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL (starred review)

Lola is not so sure about school. After all, why would she need to count higher than ten when she never eats more that ten cookies at a time? Once again, it's up to ever-patient big brother Charlie to persuade Lola that school is worthwhile — and that her invisible friend, Soren Lorensen, will be welcome, too.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:00 -0400)

When Lola is worried about starting school, her older brother Charlie reassures her.

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763628875, 0763624039

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible