I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by…

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Lauren Child, Lauren Child (Illustrator)

Member:cmendoza
Title:I Am Too Absolutely Small for School
Authors:Lauren Child
Other authors:Lauren Child (Illustrator)
Info:Perfection Learning (2005), Hardcover
Tags:school, family, special needs

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by Lauren Child (2003)

I think the book “I Am Too Absolutely Small for School” would be a really great book for a read aloud, but not a great book for young students to read on their own. I think it would be a good book for a read aloud because it is silly and teaches children some of the important reasons we go to school. For instance, Lola says, “I know lots of secrets. I don’t need to read words, and I’ve got all my books in my head. If I can’t remember, I can just make them up.” And her brother says “But Lola, what would you do if there was an ever-so-angry orge who would not go to sleep unless you read him his favorite bedtime story?” However, I do not think many young children would be able to read this book on their own because of the way the text is written. A lot of the text is small, and not in a normal font. Also, the words are sometimes scattered around the page or written in squiggly lines and loops. This type of print would be very hard for a young child to follow and read on their own, but is very interesting to look at during a read aloud. The main idea of the story is that it is normal to be nervous about going to school for the first time, but school is important so you must push through your fears. ( )
  kriley5 | May 10, 2015 |
This book is about two siblings talking about school. The younger sibling thinks shes too young to go to school because she can do only certain things and makes up excuses on why she doesn't need to go to school. Charlie the older sibling continues to tell Lola things that she might need to learn. Lola begins to understand that she might just need to go to school to learn more. Eventually, Lola goes to school and doesn't ave a problem with it at all, it was her imaginary friend that she was worried about. ( )
  kdufrene | Mar 26, 2015 |
I loved this book and believe it to be one of the more entertaining and engaging children's books I've read thus far. I recommend "I Am Too Absolutely Small for School" for three- to five-year-olds. While it may be of particular interest for the child who wil be starting school for the first time, the humor in the story and illustrations will engage the interest of young children already in school as well. Many students who may have had negative feelings toward school can relate to this, but at the end of the day it's important that children attend school and learn from their teachers. ( )
  ajohns75 | Mar 12, 2015 |
This book is great for younger children who are just entering school. Lola is a little girl whose does not want to startschool. She is afraid she won't have anyone to play with or eat lunch with. She can only count to ten and doesn't know her ABC's. Her older sister Charlie, explains to her the importance of going to school. Lola ends up making friends and liking school. ( )
  ccanizales | Mar 2, 2015 |
Very funny - I love these books. Good messages too - 'And Lola,' I say, 'don't you want to read words? Then you will be able to read your own books'.
  jon1lambert | Dec 29, 2014 |

"The children's relationship is refreshingly noncombative, with Charlie as the protective and affectionate older brother who is appreciative of, rather than annoyed by, his sister's quirkiness." - SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL (starred review)

Lola is not so sure about school. After all, why would she need to count higher than ten when she never eats more that ten cookies at a time? Once again, it's up to ever-patient big brother Charlie to persuade Lola that school is worthwhile — and that her invisible friend, Soren Lorensen, will be welcome, too.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:35 -0400)

When Lola is worried about starting school, her older brother Charlie reassures her.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763628875, 0763624039

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,411,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible