I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by…

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Lauren Child, Lauren Child (Illustrator)

Member:cmendoza
Title:I Am Too Absolutely Small for School
Authors:Lauren Child
Other authors:Lauren Child (Illustrator)
Info:Perfection Learning (2005), Hardcover
Tags:school, family, special needs

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by Lauren Child (2003)

It is about that time for Charlie's little sister Lola to go to school. When Charlie expresses this to Lola is not so sure she is ready, in fact she knows she is not ready. Charlie gives Lola all the reasons why she needs to go to school but Lola finds even more reasons why she does not need school. At first she does not want to count, read or write but after Charlie convinces her why she needs those things she agrees. Although Lola wants to learn how read and count she still does not want to go to school; she does not want to be alone or dress like everyone else. Charlie assures Lola she will be okay and sure enough she was. Lola had a great first day, she made new friends and learned many new things. Going to school for the first time can be scary, this is a great book to relieve a child's fear of going to school. I really love Lauren Child's style of writing but again the text is sometimes hard to follow and can become frustrating. All in all this was a really cute book. Everyone should have a big brother like Charlie. ( )
  Jmreed1 | Mar 30, 2016 |
I picked this book because I love Charlie and Lola books and I thought it would be a good book for the first day or week of school. For this book, I would have students write or draw that they are most excited about school. ( )
  ksd011 | Mar 16, 2016 |
A great children's book for kids who are nervous about starting school.The girl Lola in the book shows them they are not alone.
  EmilyMurray | Mar 16, 2016 |
good book to be read for children, especially those who have other siblings older than them. in this book Lola is the younger sister and she bring excuse to show that she doesn't need to go to school, I am too small, I don't like uniform, I don't like school food. but her older sister re sure her that she doesn't need to eat school food or wear uniform and tel her how she can make friends and be okay.

children ages 3-5
source: Pierce College Library
  Zabdulla-mahmood | Mar 7, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about this book before and after actually reading it. When I picked it up off the shelf, I automatically recognized the characters from the television show, Charlie and Lola, I used to watch when I was younger. But after reading the book, I became uninterested. In a way, I felt like it was too juvenile. There are two main characters, Charlie and Lola and they are brother and sister, which makes them very believable. The way they act in the story may be confusing to someone who has never heard of them or watched the show before. For example, when Lola talks about pink milk, I automatically knew it was strawberry milk, but as for someone else, they may not have realized. You have to make the inference about this because the author doesn’t explain it or go over it again in the story. Their parents aren’t physically present in the story but they mention them briefly in the beginning. As for the language and writing used in the book, some of it felt scrambled and very random but I wasn’t hard to follow along with the rest of the story. I think the point of the book is to be random and to use your imagination because when Charlie talks to Lola about counting to ten, he brings up cookies, elephants and letters, which are all in different categories. The book is also told from Charlies point of view because he is convincing Lola that she’s old enough to go to school. The structure of this story is somewhat like regular stories. The problem is Lola going to school and Charlie easily gives reasons as to why she should go. She ends up going and having a great day. All of the things leading up to her going to school were random, so at times I was paying more attention to that instead of the entire story. As for the illustrations, it looks like a child drew the pictures and the author cut them out and glued them to the page. I actually enjoyed this part of the book because it wasn’t “perfect”. Some of the pictures were cartoons and some were real life pictures. I also noticed that certain words were shown by the size or shape of the actual written word. For example, the word ‘big’ is written in large print. The letters are also different sizes and aren’t all written on the same line. I feel as though this is supposed to resemble a child writing. Some of the words were written in loops and this made it harder to read those words because they were upside down. I had mixed feeling about this because in a way, it made the book interactive, but on the other hand it was hard to read. This book is definitely fiction (Modern Fiction) because of all the imaginary characters discussed in it. The book actually had a nice underlying message, which is, that you shouldn’t be nervous about something you’re about to experience because you may actually like it. ( )
  nmills3 | Feb 15, 2016 |

"The children's relationship is refreshingly noncombative, with Charlie as the protective and affectionate older brother who is appreciative of, rather than annoyed by, his sister's quirkiness." - SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL (starred review)

Lola is not so sure about school. After all, why would she need to count higher than ten when she never eats more that ten cookies at a time? Once again, it's up to ever-patient big brother Charlie to persuade Lola that school is worthwhile — and that her invisible friend, Soren Lorensen, will be welcome, too.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:35 -0400)

When Lola is worried about starting school, her older brother Charlie reassures her.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763628875, 0763624039

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,102,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible