I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by…

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Lauren Child, Lauren Child (Illustrator)

Member:cmendoza
Title:I Am Too Absolutely Small for School
Authors:Lauren Child
Other authors:Lauren Child (Illustrator)
Info:Perfection Learning (2005), Hardcover
Tags:school, family, special needs

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by Lauren Child (2003)

Lauren Child did an amazing job with I Am Too Absolutely Small For School. The story is another one of her Charlie and Lola books and this time Lola is dealing with having to go to school for the first time and she doesn't want too. She is perfectly fine with knowing how to count to ten and knowing somewhat how to read and write. She doesn't want to go to school because she has a friend Soren, who is invisible. Lola comes up with lots of excuses on why she doesn't need to go to school. Of course, Charlie convinces her that she needs to go and Lola does. I think everyone didn't want to go to school and some point in their lifetimes and Lola was just like us. I think this would show kids why they need to continue to go to school because it's always better than you think. This is one of my favorite Charlie and Lola books, mostly because of the illustrations. They were awesome in this book and the message of the book is great too. I would definitely have this in my classroom library. ( )
  cmsmit12 | Apr 25, 2017 |
I found this book to be cuter than the others by Lauren Child, because I feel like most children go through a stage of not wanting to go to school for one reason or another. Lola clearly did not want to go to school but blamed it on her "friend" Soren. Soren is her invisible friend so it was made clear that it was her own insecurities shining through, however she powered through because she didn't want to let her "friend" go alone. Cute book, maybe one I would consider to have in my classroom. ( )
  MeganSchneider | Mar 6, 2017 |
In I Am too Absolutely Small for School, Lola is dealing with going to school for the first time. She gives may excuses on why she think she shouldn't go to school, including being too small, having too much to do at home, not needing to learn to count because she has 10 toes and thats all she needs to count, and not wanting to wear a uniform. Luckily, Charlie had counter arguments to all of Lola's worries that make school sound important. Charlie reassures her that she can bring her imaginary friend to school with her to help ease her mind and to feel less lonely. It's finally time for the end of Lola's first day of school and Charlie realizes that he hadn't seen Lola all day. When Charlie gets home, he sees Lola has met a new friend and tells them that he knew Lola would have a good time at school. I appreciate how Lauren Child continues to write about leal rife problems that students and children may have. Most, if not all, of the books that i have read by her so far have some sort of educational message or learning some sort of lesson. Since its told in the perspective of two young siblings, it makes the book relatable. As a child starting school for the first time, I would have loved to have this book or have someone read this book to me. Although children are generally excited to go to school for the first time, many of them are still nervous. This book would be a great as a read aloud for teachers to read to their pre-k or kindergarten students on the first day of school to ease their little minds. ( )
  CharleneMartin | Mar 6, 2017 |
In this book Lola is positive she does not want to go to school. She thinks she wont fit in and she doesnt want to count or learn to read. Later her older brother convinces her she needs to go and Lola ends up having a great first day of school. Best read to 3-4 year olds just starting school. ( )
  MeganMcCullough | Dec 1, 2016 |
Lola is saying that she is too small for school while charlie is trying to tell her how much fun she will have. Lola is worried that her imaginary friend won't be able to come with her. eventually Lola decides that she will go to school and makes a friend.
1 book
  TUCC | Oct 21, 2016 |

"The children's relationship is refreshingly noncombative, with Charlie as the protective and affectionate older brother who is appreciative of, rather than annoyed by, his sister's quirkiness." - SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL (starred review)

Lola is not so sure about school. After all, why would she need to count higher than ten when she never eats more that ten cookies at a time? Once again, it's up to ever-patient big brother Charlie to persuade Lola that school is worthwhile — and that her invisible friend, Soren Lorensen, will be welcome, too.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:35 -0400)

When Lola is worried about starting school, her older brother Charlie reassures her.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763628875, 0763624039

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible