I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by…

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Lauren Child, Lauren Child (Illustrator)

Member:cmendoza
Title:I Am Too Absolutely Small for School
Authors:Lauren Child
Other authors:Lauren Child (Illustrator)
Info:Perfection Learning (2005), Hardcover
Tags:school, family, special needs

I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by Lauren Child (2003)

This was a fun to read story about a little girl (Lola) and her apprehensions about starting school as told by her brother (Charlie). Lola comes up with all kinds of reasons why she does need to go to school. For every reason she comes up with Charlie is able to counter it with a reason of why she should.
The illustrations are drawings mostly which look as if they were drawn by children with some photographs added. When you put both the drawings and pictures together they make very interesting illustrations, which I believe most children will like. ( )
  ecollado | Nov 2, 2014 |
I think the book “I Am Too Absolutely Small for School” would be a really great book for a read aloud, but not a great book for young students to read on their own. I think it would be a good book for a read aloud because it is silly and teaches children some of the important reasons we go to school. For instance, Lola says, “I know lots of secrets. I don’t need to read words, and I’ve got all my books in my head. If I can’t remember, I can just make them up.” And her brother says “But Lola, what would you do if there was an ever-so-angry orge who would not go to sleep unless you read him his favorite bedtime story?” However, I do not think many young children would be able to read this book on their own because of the way the text is written. A lot of the text is small, and not in a normal font. Also, the words are sometimes scattered around the page or written in squiggly lines and loop-da-loops. This type of print would be very hard for a young child to follow and read on their own, but is very interesting to look at during a read aloud. The main idea of the story is that it is normal to be nervous about going to school for the first time, but school is important so you must push through your fears. ( )
  cschne11 | Oct 15, 2014 |
As the first day of school approaches, Lola makes up excuses as to why she cannot go to school, while her older brother, Charlie, tries to change her mind.

Another adorable story of the sweet siblings accompanied by playful pictures, this is a great read for young children who may be afraid of the first day of school. ( )
  lbblackwell | Jul 26, 2014 |
This book is great when children start school! Whether it is kindergarten or pre-k. I know children are usually nervous there first day of school! Reading them this book puts them in Lola's persepective and can maybe make the first day a little better! I would definitely use it in my class! Bravo! ( )
  CMJohnson | Apr 28, 2014 |
I thought this was a cute book for readers who are anxious about going to school for the first time. First, it was engaging because the main characters are from a popular TV show, Charlie and Lola. This would be an automatic fun read for anyone who likes the show. Second, Lola’s character is very easy to relate to for someone who is nervous about going to school. She discusses everything from a child’s perspective with immature reasoning, which is funny for me to read but would also be understandable terms for readers in the appropriate interest level. For example, on the second page Lola says, “I am absolutely not big. I am still really quite small” which is her reasoning for not being ready for school. On this page are Charlie and Lola’s characters lined up against a wall of graph paper with height labels such as “Huge, big, biggish, slightly small, tiny, and eeny weeny”. Another reason for her not wanting to go to school is because her “imaginary friend” might not be able to sit next to her. This is another hook for young readers, who at that developmental stage often do have special friends that affect their decision-making. The only feature of this book that I did not like was that some of the sentences were written in swirls rather than in straight lines. For an emerging reader, this would not be helpful to them and may take away from the story, especially if they are trying to read it independently. Other than that, I think this book pushes readers to be brave since at the end of the story the main character ends up having a great first day at school and even comes home with a friend! The message of this story is to encourage students that school is not a scary place and that they should feel excited about going to school. ( )
  Sulick1 | Mar 28, 2014 |

"The children's relationship is refreshingly noncombative, with Charlie as the protective and affectionate older brother who is appreciative of, rather than annoyed by, his sister's quirkiness." - SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL (starred review)

Lola is not so sure about school. After all, why would she need to count higher than ten when she never eats more that ten cookies at a time? Once again, it's up to ever-patient big brother Charlie to persuade Lola that school is worthwhile — and that her invisible friend, Soren Lorensen, will be welcome, too.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:00 -0400)

When Lola is worried about starting school, her older brother Charlie reassures her.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763628875, 0763624039

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,491,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible