Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes

Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Kevin Henkes, Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)

3,1042051,823 (4.24)18
Member:LauraMcQueen
Title:Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse
Authors:Kevin Henkes
Other authors:Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (1996), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:easy, teachers, patience

Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes (1996)

Recently added byYardape, private library, Ollin_Santos, RachelCretella, hpldraspanish, stbartspreschool

I loved this book! Many aspects of this book made me enjoy it! The illustrations made the story that much more interesting and engaging. Through these illustrations, readers are easily able to imagine the setting- a large portion of the story took place in a classroom. Many young readers have had the opportunity to be in a classroom so they are seeing a similar setting to one that they have seen once before. On page 4 there is an illustration of Lilly's teacher, Mr. Slinger, in his classroom. Seeing this classroom can allow readers to put themselves in Lilly's point of view. The overall theme of the story is something that I believe many can relate to. Sometimes we say or do things that we take back shortly after, or we never meant in the first place. On page 19, there is an illustration of Lilly's apology to Mr. Slinger and what she had originally said about him. On page 18, the fact that she put herself in time out, was something that readers can relate to and probably giggle at. The main idea or message that this story is trying to get across is to be careful of what you do/ say. Lilly wasn't thinking when she said those mean things about the teacher that she actually cares deeply about. Be careful what you do or say to avoid any repercussions! ( )
  hfetty1 | May 3, 2016 |
This book was so cute and reminded me of a great way to teach kids lessons about patience, and keeping it together. I enjoyed this book very much and look forward to using it in my classroom. ( )
  Theresa_Kieffer | May 2, 2016 |
I think this is a fun book to read, but not to use for teaching a lesson. This is about a girl named Lilly who loves her teacher in the beginning, but is hurt when he doesn't acknowledge her. I liked this book because it focuses on bullying. Children deal with this everyday.
The language is repetitive. She repeats what her teacher says. The writing is engaging because the author used descriptive words like purple purse. The characters are believable they are mice, but all portray real people. The point of view is third person, but it follows around the main character. The plot is organized and consistent. The illustrations are bright colors. The main idea is to teach children about patience and that just because someone ask them to stop doing something doesn't mean they hate them. ( )
  mgladi1 | May 2, 2016 |
This book is about a girl named Lilly who hates her teacher, because he took away her purse during class. She draws a nasty picture of him and puts it in his bag. She soon finds out that her teacher is a nice person and feels horrible about the picture she drew. Lilly and her teacher talk and she then thinks that she wants to be a teacher one day. This book can teach children that teachers are not their enemy, but also can teach future teachers on how to make bad habits on students into good habits. ( )
  twalsh | Apr 26, 2016 |
Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse has been one of my favorite books that I have read so far. The first reason I like this book is because of the characters. Mr. Singer is an amazing teacher to Lilly, he was my favorite character in the story. Another character I liked a lot was Lilly. It was interesting to watch her mature and develop throughout the story. Once she realized she was mean to her teacher and messed up, she acted mature and apologized and listened to him during the rest of the story. Another reason I liked this book was because of the plot. I really liked the problem in the book and the climax. It made the story very interesting when Mr. Singer found the mean note that Lilly wrote about him. The way the story was resolved was perfect because Mr. Singer was not mean, he acted maturely like a teacher should and fixed the problem with Lilly. The main idea of this story is that everyone has bad days and makes mistakes but they will get forgiven. Lilly had a bad day and drew a mean picture of her teacher, but he understood and forgave her when she decided to apologize. ( )
  oliviaceresi | Apr 20, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688128971, Hardcover)

The irrepressible mouse heroine of Chester's Way and Julius, the Baby of the World returns for another true-to-life and very funny episode. Lilly loves everything about school, especially her teacher, Mr. Slinger--until he takes away her musical purse because she can't stop playing with it in class. Lilly decides to get revenge with a nasty drawing of "Big Fat Mean Mr. Stealing Teacher!" but when she finds the kind note he put in her purse, she's filled with remorse and has to find a way to make things right again. Children will sympathize with Lilly's impulsive mistake and laugh uproariously at the witty and expressive pictures of the very human mice. In a starred review, Publisher's Weekly called this book "sympathetic and wise." (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:23 -0400)

Lilly loves everything about school, especially her teacher, but when he asks her to wait a while before showing her new purse, she does something for which she is very sorry later.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,836,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible