Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes

Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Kevin Henkes, Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)

Member:LauraMcQueen
Title:Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse
Authors:Kevin Henkes
Other authors:Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (1996), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:easy, teachers, patience

Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes (1996)

Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse helps children understand that sometimes we get angry and there are consequences for angry actions. I love this book because it explains fury and anger in terms that children can understand through the story of a cute mouse who gets a treasured item taken from her.
  cgjohn3570 | Sep 25, 2016 |
Lilly loves all sorts of things. She loves school, she loves dressing up, she even grows to love her stinky baby brother, Julius. In fact, Lilly loves everything! She loses her favorite purple purse and begins to have horribles days at school. In the end, She finds her purple purse and has a great rest of her school time.
  kelseydavis | Sep 18, 2016 |
I may be biased because Kevin Henkes is one of my favorite authors, but this book is fun and worth the time in the classroom. This book is so related for the students because we have all had a crazy cool toy that we wanted to bring to class. Some of us also know what it is like to have toys taken up by the teacher. ( )
  ShelbyV | Sep 11, 2016 |
I still love this book now as much as I did as a child. I believe that the author used his writing to keep the story interesting by showing the readers who Lilly is before she got her purple purse, and how the purple purse changed her. For example, the author would write how Lilly would always go to the Lightbulb Lab because "she had a lot of good ideas." When Lilly got her purple purse taken away, she went to the Lightbulb Lab and "...thought and she thought and she thought. Then she became angry." The author was able to show the transition of her moods through the use of language. I also liked this book because Lilly is a very believable character. An elementary school child loves getting to go to school. They love when they can bring in toys or objects from home to share with the class. It is hard for them to wait to show everyone their special objects because they are so special. I think Henkes did a great job of showing what the average child endures when they have something to show to the class. I believe that the big picture of this story is if a child does a wrong, there is always a chance for them to right it. I believe that teachers should be flexible and forgiving to their students. ( )
  Becca-Friedel | Sep 3, 2016 |
I read this every year with lower grades to discuss how we are going to deal with personal items brought from home. Great conversation starter! ( )
  jkrnomad | Jul 1, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688128971, Hardcover)

The irrepressible mouse heroine of Chester's Way and Julius, the Baby of the World returns for another true-to-life and very funny episode. Lilly loves everything about school, especially her teacher, Mr. Slinger--until he takes away her musical purse because she can't stop playing with it in class. Lilly decides to get revenge with a nasty drawing of "Big Fat Mean Mr. Stealing Teacher!" but when she finds the kind note he put in her purse, she's filled with remorse and has to find a way to make things right again. Children will sympathize with Lilly's impulsive mistake and laugh uproariously at the witty and expressive pictures of the very human mice. In a starred review, Publisher's Weekly called this book "sympathetic and wise." (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:23 -0400)

Lilly loves everything about school, especially her teacher, but when he asks her to wait a while before showing her new purse, she does something for which she is very sorry later.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,277,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible