Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes

Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Kevin Henkes, Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)

3,1602071,771 (4.24)18
Member:LauraMcQueen
Title:Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse
Authors:Kevin Henkes
Other authors:Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (1996), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:easy, teachers, patience

Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes (1996)

I read this every year with lower grades to discuss how we are going to deal with personal items brought from home. Great conversation starter! ( )
  jkrnomad | Jul 1, 2016 |
The first paragraph of Lisa Vegan's review is an echo of my thoughts - I'm glad I read this, but even though I'd seen it often before I finally picked it up, I thought I wouldn't care for it, and I needed a special push. For me, the push is realizing how much of Henkes' work I've loved, and deciding to read his oeuvre.

I think the title and cover art told me this was going to focus on the purse - and I'm not materialistic nor can I empathize with people who are. But the purse is more than a purse, and the story is much, much more than a story about a purse. It's another sweet and wise winner by Henkes, and that's all I want to say about it today.

---------------------

reread two years later - still love it - adding a star, actually - and adding the thought that I wish for every classroom to have a Lightbulb Lab - a table in the corner 'Where Great Ideas are Born.' ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I loved this book! Many aspects of this book made me enjoy it! The illustrations made the story that much more interesting and engaging. Through these illustrations, readers are easily able to imagine the setting- a large portion of the story took place in a classroom. Many young readers have had the opportunity to be in a classroom so they are seeing a similar setting to one that they have seen once before. On page 4 there is an illustration of Lilly's teacher, Mr. Slinger, in his classroom. Seeing this classroom can allow readers to put themselves in Lilly's point of view. The overall theme of the story is something that I believe many can relate to. Sometimes we say or do things that we take back shortly after, or we never meant in the first place. On page 19, there is an illustration of Lilly's apology to Mr. Slinger and what she had originally said about him. On page 18, the fact that she put herself in time out, was something that readers can relate to and probably giggle at. The main idea or message that this story is trying to get across is to be careful of what you do/ say. Lilly wasn't thinking when she said those mean things about the teacher that she actually cares deeply about. Be careful what you do or say to avoid any repercussions! ( )
  hfetty1 | May 3, 2016 |
This book was so cute and reminded me of a great way to teach kids lessons about patience, and keeping it together. I enjoyed this book very much and look forward to using it in my classroom. ( )
  Theresa_Kieffer | May 2, 2016 |
I think this is a fun book to read, but not to use for teaching a lesson. This is about a girl named Lilly who loves her teacher in the beginning, but is hurt when he doesn't acknowledge her. I liked this book because it focuses on bullying. Children deal with this everyday.
The language is repetitive. She repeats what her teacher says. The writing is engaging because the author used descriptive words like purple purse. The characters are believable they are mice, but all portray real people. The point of view is third person, but it follows around the main character. The plot is organized and consistent. The illustrations are bright colors. The main idea is to teach children about patience and that just because someone ask them to stop doing something doesn't mean they hate them. ( )
  mgladi1 | May 2, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688128971, Hardcover)

The irrepressible mouse heroine of Chester's Way and Julius, the Baby of the World returns for another true-to-life and very funny episode. Lilly loves everything about school, especially her teacher, Mr. Slinger--until he takes away her musical purse because she can't stop playing with it in class. Lilly decides to get revenge with a nasty drawing of "Big Fat Mean Mr. Stealing Teacher!" but when she finds the kind note he put in her purse, she's filled with remorse and has to find a way to make things right again. Children will sympathize with Lilly's impulsive mistake and laugh uproariously at the witty and expressive pictures of the very human mice. In a starred review, Publisher's Weekly called this book "sympathetic and wise." (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:23 -0400)

Lilly loves everything about school, especially her teacher, but when he asks her to wait a while before showing her new purse, she does something for which she is very sorry later.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,520,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible