Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes

Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Kevin Henkes, Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)

Member:Laene
Title:Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse
Authors:Kevin Henkes
Other authors:Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (1996), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:EDLS 3100
Rating:***
Tags:Easy, teachers, Character Development

Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes (1996)

Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse is a great book for any young student who must deal with forgiveness. In this book, a mouse named Lilly becomes distracted with her new purse. Her teacher takes the purse away from her, so she writes him a mean message for him to find. In the end, he forgives her and goes back to being her favorite teacher. This book teaches a great lesson to children about forgiveness and friendship in a fun and bright way. One of my favorite parts of this book are the illustrations. The animals in the book have enough human-like qualities to make them relatable, but also maintain that aspect of "cuteness" that children love to see in books. It is written in a very child-like way, with Lilly speaking in lower vocabulary and her teacher saying more advanced words like "excellent". The colors are bright and engaging. The illustrations flow throughout the pages so the student always has something to look at when they are finished reading. ( )
  ghall6 | Apr 18, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 3, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book for many different reasons. First, for students I think that it gives them a really good lesson to think about. Students can relate to Lily because all students do something to their teacher that they eventually will regret. Another thing that I like is the way that they portray the teacher. As interns we are able to learn from the teacher in many ways. One way we can learn from him is that when Lily draws the pictures, he does not write her off as a student. I main point of this book is to give students a lesson on how to act in school. ( )
  kkrume1 | Mar 2, 2017 |
I liked this book for many reasons. First, the main character, Lilly, is well developed. She plays an elementary school student who lets her emotions get the best of her. For example, she gets angry with her teacher so she writes him a nasty letter. After she gives her teacher the letter she feels so bad that she goes home and writes him a nice letter and even brings him cookies to school the next day. I also liked the plot because it includes a lot of rising action. Lilly is so excited to show everyone her new purse that she disobeys the teachers orders and shows her classmates anyways. The teacher gives her multiple warnings but finally takes her purse away, which leads to the climax. The book ends with Lilly apologizing to her teacher. The message behind this story is to be careful what you say to people when you’re angry. Lilly felt horrible after she was mean to her teacher. ( )
  Rwatts3 | Mar 1, 2017 |
This book was great! I enjoyed reading it and plan on obtaining it for my future classroom. I really liked the language in the book. It was patterned and descriptive, allowing the reader to make a strong connection to the text and what was going on in the story. For example, the book has the repeated phrase throughout it, "Wow. And that was just about all he could say. Wow." Another reason, and perhaps the main reason I enjoyed it was for the characters. The characters were veyr believable and well developed. For example, when the teacher took Lilly's bag away, she got really sad and her sadness then turned to anger. In that anger, she drew a really mean picture of the teacher and put it in his bookbag. That is definitely something I could see a Kindergarten student doing if they were frustrated with a teacher. The main message of the book is to follow directions when they are given by a teacher or any adult and we will get to keep our things that we love. If Lilly had listened to the teacher, she would have never gotten her purse taken away. ( )
  abeach5 | Mar 1, 2017 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688128971, Hardcover)

The irrepressible mouse heroine of Chester's Way and Julius, the Baby of the World returns for another true-to-life and very funny episode. Lilly loves everything about school, especially her teacher, Mr. Slinger--until he takes away her musical purse because she can't stop playing with it in class. Lilly decides to get revenge with a nasty drawing of "Big Fat Mean Mr. Stealing Teacher!" but when she finds the kind note he put in her purse, she's filled with remorse and has to find a way to make things right again. Children will sympathize with Lilly's impulsive mistake and laugh uproariously at the witty and expressive pictures of the very human mice. In a starred review, Publisher's Weekly called this book "sympathetic and wise." (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:23 -0400)

Lilly loves everything about school, especially her teacher, but when he asks her to wait a while before showing her new purse, she does something for which she is very sorry later.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,186,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible