The White Album by Joan Didion

The White Album (1979)

by Joan Didion

Fascinating reportage. An interesting collection, like reading something out of a time capsule. Possibly even more interesting for American readers, I enjoyed these essays. ( )
  essjay1 | Jan 11, 2017 |
Joan Didion really finds herself as a remarkable essayist in this collection in which she reflects in America in the 1970s. She finds topics that illuminate the era and she writes thoughtfully about what she sees and what she thinks about. A pleasure to read! ( )
  gbelik | Feb 23, 2016 |
I tend to think that people can be separated into those that like and those that don't like Didion. I like her and find her essays interesting - with some more personal and therefore [I think] more successful than others. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I read The White Album as a college freshman; it was one of my introductory selection for Book of the Month Club along with the poems of Robert Frost, the Collected Stories of John Cheever, and one of Sholom Aleichem. I am not sure why or how I singled out Didion's collection of essays. I had never run up against a writer quite like Didion. For one, the essayist I had read on my own, that is the ones that weren't straight out philosophy or literary criticism, had been "jokey" affairs, Woody Allen, Fran Leibowitz. Didion's take on what was very recent history and the fairly current state of American culture was not jaundiced and flippant as those writers were; Joan does joke around. I remember her observations as intelligent, but there was an icy edge. I would not say it was a neutrality, but a definite lack of warmth. This is a collection I would like to revisit. ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
For Earl McGrath, and for Lois Wallace
We tell ourselves stories in order to live. (The White Album)

First published in 1979, The White Album is a mosaic of the late sixties and seventies. It includes, among other bizarre artifacts and personalities, the dark journeys and impulses of the Manson family, a Balck Panther Party press conference, the story of John Paul Getty's museum, the romance of water in an arid landscape, and the swirl and confusion of the sixties. With commanding sureness of mood and language, Joan Didion exposes the realities and dreams of that age of self-discovery whose spiritual center was California.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

"The White Album is a mosaic of a time, a mosaic that includes, among other bizarre artifacts and personalities, the dark journeys and impulses of the Manson Family and the Ferguson brothers, the story of Bishop James Pike, and of John Paul Getty's museum, the biker cult, the saga of the California governor's mansions, the romance of water in an arid landscape, the swirl and confusion of th Sixties (the women's movement, the Panthers, Berkeley), and the experience of getting away--to BogotŠ, to Las Vegas, the Islands, the road or simply to bed--and coming home again"--Cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,163,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible