dismiss

Der Seewolf (Roman) by Jack London

Der Seewolf (Roman) (original 1904; edition 2013)

by Jack London, Ulrich Horstmann (Übers.)

A young art critic is forced to endure the wrath of Wolf Larsen, captain of the sealing schooner which rescues him after a shipwreck.
Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Der Seewolf (Roman)
Authors:Jack London
Other authors:Ulrich Horstmann (Übers.)
Info:Anaconda Verlag GmbH (2013), Gebundene Ausgabe, 384 pages

The Sea Wolf by Jack London (Author) (1904)

English (37)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (42)
The Sea Wolf is the book I read to shreds when I was 12 and it was probably at least indirectly responsible for all the time I spent in my late teens-early twenties riding in not-particularly-seaworthy ferries, or working in fish canneries and pickle factories, or generally spending a lot of time having adventures i.e. bumming around. Even though I'm now a suburban mama of two this book totally still calls to me, I'm only partly embarrassed to admit. Its only flaw is the character of Maude Brewster, who should have stayed on dry land and entirely out of this book. ( )
1 vote poingu | Feb 22, 2020 |
Wolf Larsen rivals Hannibal Lecter as a villain. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Home of probably my favourite character in fiction. This book is a lesson in characterisation. Jack London can do so much with words. He writes description in detail but it doesn't slow you down. I would've given it five stars but the plot wasn't quite as good as I think he could've made it. Well worth a read though. ( )
  StevenJohnTait | Jul 29, 2019 |
I really liked the reflective and philosophical aspects of White Fang. In this, listening to the sea Wolf pontificate gets a little old, but it's equally interesting. I've come to appreciate how lucky i am to live in an age and society and class that is less physically base. The rich protagonist is Shanghaied and survives a dysfunctional crew and devil captain. The voyage ends much like it begins (definitely a high school talking point). You question your humanity and wonder if you could have made it through. ( )
1 vote CassandraT | Sep 23, 2018 |

BrugueraEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gannett, LewisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, FletcherIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sutherland, JohnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I scarcely know where to begin, though I sometimes facetiously place the cause of it all to Charley Furuseth’s credit. He kept a summer cottage in Mill Valley, under the shadow of Mount Tamalpais, and never occupied it except when he loafed through the winter mouths and read Nietzsche and Schopenhauer to rest his brain.
“One kiss, dear love,” I whispered. “One kiss more before they come.”

“And rescue us from ourselves,” she completed, with a most adorable smile, whimsical as I had never seen it, for it was whimsical with love.
This is the unabridged original. Please do not combine with adaptations or abridgements. Please also do not combine with editions containing other works.
This ISBN 0883017466 appears to be an abridged version, and should not be combined with the main, unabridged, work.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175749, 190917551X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,814,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible