Broken by Karin Fossum

Broken (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Karin Fossum, Charlotte Barslund (Translator)

2261551,336 (3.41)1 / 19
Member:Hanneri
Title:Broken
Authors:Karin Fossum
Other authors:Charlotte Barslund (Translator)
Info:Mariner Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013, Norway, Mystery

Broken by Karin Fossum (2006)

English (14)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (15)
This book was listed as a mystery, but it really did not seem to fit into that genre. The author is Norwegian and evidently has written a series of popular mystery novels. This story opens as a woman wakes up to find a strange man in her bedroom. We soon find out that the woman is an author and the man is a fictional character who has been waiting in line, along with numerous others outside her home, hoping that she would write her next novel about him. She reluctantly agrees and as she writes about him, he periodically reappears in her home to comment on what is happening to him in the story. The premise is intriguing, but the character is so boring, that it is hard to get too involved in his life. In fact, all the characters are rather boring. I can't say I disliked the book. In fact, I actually rather liked it, but it still only merits three stars. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
This was an intriguing book with a very unique premise.

It also has one of the best descriptions of the feeling of anxiety I think I have ever read.

There are parts of it which do come close to becoming a bit too 'meta' and self-referencing, but overall I liked the way that the 'main' story is interspersed with the main character of that story talking with the author. It definitely gives the novel as a whole a dimension which I don;t think I've ever come across before.

I have to admit I wasn't crazy about the ending, and I did find the main character's inability to stand up for himself quite frustrating at times, but overall I really enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it. ( )
  AngeloMarcos | Jan 6, 2015 |
You start off thinking this is a book about being a writer, but somehow that balances out with being a book about the changing life of a character. The plot is really two stories in one, both deeply interwoven with each other. The author hears her character and helps him to settle his life as requested, but in the end you can see how she is also touched, if only slightly, by his interactions with her. I found the concept of the book as a whole to be unique and entertaining.

Now let's set aside the author's part of the story and talk about what she writes; the story of Alvar, who works in an art gallery. Here you have a man who does the same things, has his usual routine, lives alone and is perfectly content with that. He wants to be a good person, as do many of us, so he reaches out to a girl who has come in to the store off the streets, offering her coffee and letting her wander around a little, where it is warm. He has no idea that one small act of goodness will create complete chaos in his once very orderly life. Alvar makes many mistakes in his life, as we all do, though they are out of complete uncertainty about personal interaction, making certain situations almost difficult to read through, not because the writing is bad, but because said situation is bordering on unbelievable. Fossum never crosses that line, however, keeping things right on that edge where you still believe an event could actually be happening to Alvar, but are always wondering what the socially clumsy man is going to do with the next thing his author has thrown at him.

The characters in this book were so believable that I actually found myself thinking that Fossum herself had people lined up at the door and just recorded everything that was spoken, word for word and turned it into this book. She easily shows us what happens when good intentions become incredibly scrambled by fate and holds a mirror up for us to contemplate the possibilities in our own lives as well. There are times when you want to shout out at the book, "Don't do that, you idiot! What are you thinking?" But that only enhances the experience as a whole. Wouldn't you want to do the same for someone in your own life who had gone astray? ( )
  mirrani | Jan 28, 2014 |
A strange book. In the evocative and harrowing but believable story (which is actually a sub-story, a fiction with a fiction), Fossum never quite overreaches plausibility, and makes no judgements. It is a book about being a writer, but the characters and plots gradually displace the 'real life' narrative, which is itself fantastical. Agonisation and anguish ensue, and then it's done with, and another story maybe beginning as the book ends. Welcome to my world, says Fossum. ( )
  Mijk | Oct 19, 2013 |
To Herdis Eggen, my editor
I see them in the porch light.

Awoman wakes up in the middle of the night. A strange man is in her bedroom. She lies there in silence, paralyzed with fear.The woman is an author and the man one of her characters, one in a long line that waits in her driveway for the time when she’ll tell their stories. He is so desperate that he has resorted to breaking into her house and demanding that she begin. He, the author decides, is named Alvar Eide, forty-two years old, single,works in a gallery. He lives a quiet, orderly life and likes it that way—no demands, no unpleasantness. Until one icy winter day when a young drug addict, skinny and fragile, walks into the gallery. Alvar gives her a cup of coffee to warm her up. And then one day she appears on his doorstep. Broken is an unconventional, subtle, and disturbing mystery from a master of the form.

Awakened in the middle of the night by one of her own desperate characters, a shocked writer is compelled to envision a background and publish his story, which unfolds through the appearance of an obsessive young drug addict.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,007,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible