Creating Your World: The Official Guide to…

by Aimee Weber, Kimberly Rufer-Bach, Richard Platel

Member:PeterPhillips
Title:Creating Your World: The Official Guide to Advanced Content Creation for Second Life
Authors:Aimee Weber
Other authors:Kimberly Rufer-Bach, Richard Platel
Info:Sybex (2007), Paperback, 416 pages

Creating Your World: The Official Guide to Advanced Content Creation for Second Life by Aimee Weber

(Alistair) The latest in my completed non-fiction reading, this is an introduction to content creation for Second Life.

Overall, decent starting point. Be advised that it doesn't cover some of the latest techniques, inasmuch as this book was published in the earlier part of this year, and the construction facilities in SL have moved on a little since the date of publication, but really, in an evolving world, it's about as up to date as you can reasonably ask for.

I have a few quibbles with the style and format; of course, at least part of this is my lack of patience with introductions in technical books in general, since I evidently require rather less introduction than the average chap. Nevertheless, I would venture some criticism that I, personally, might have spent a little less time on the tutorials - especially on the listings which are duplicated, in effect, on the supplied CD - and provided more in the way of reference material. While indexed, reference sections, especially for the visual prim-manipulation techniques, would greatly increase the book's value as a reference after the first read-through-and-try.

I'll still have it handy to refer to, but I do think it could have been better in those respects. Or maybe I just need to find the intermediate-level equivalent text.

( http://weblog.siliconcerebrate.com/cerebrate/2008/11/creating_your_world_aimee_w... ) ( )
  libraryofus | Nov 3, 2008 |

Enrich your virtual existence by mastering the techniques and tactics the experts use to create jaw-dropping SL content—everything from buildings and vehicles to clothing, landscapes, and animations. This official, exclusive guide from a team of Second Life content-creation experts was written with the full support of Linden Lab and features in-depth instructions for creating beautiful content and putting it to work in-world. It’s both a practical, step-by-step guide and a creative session with some of the most artistic and talented minds in the Second Life community. CD included.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:06 -0400)

The book includes details on how to design and use Second Life content, covering such important skills as building, texturing, scripting, animating, and terraforming and discusses how to create scripts to communicate and interact with the world and manage data.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,515,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible