A Rare Benedictine by Ellis Peters

A Rare Benedictine (1988)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Brother Cadfael (Prequel Anthology)

1,067None7,858 (3.85)32

English (10)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (12)
Wonderful! Ellis Peters gives us a wonderful bruef background sketch of Cadfael's life and how he came to become a Benedictine munk. ( )
  SLamkin | Feb 21, 2014 |
Liked the first story best. Oh, and the cover. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
A decent introduction to Brother Cadfael, a Benedictine monk from the twelfth century who has a knack for detective work. The book was written many years after "Ellis Peters" (Edith Pargeter) had established the character, so this was an attempt to provide the background when Cadfael joined the Benedictine order. I didn't find the three short stories to be gripping enough to make me want to read more; readers who have already encountered the monk may find more enjoyment. The stories are too short to really establish any characters -- including Cadfael himself -- so it's fairly easy to guess who committed the crimes. The illustrations are quite nice but unnecessary. ( )
2 vote legallypuzzled | Oct 1, 2011 |
Angela on LT told me about this book and it intrigued me because I’ve been considering starting the Cadfael series. It contains three short stories that Peters wrote in 1988 to fill in some background on Cadfael before he became famous for solving crimes. The first story, “A Light on the Road to Woodstock,” gives a bit of history of his pre-monastery life and tells how he became a Brother at Shrewsbury Abbey. The second story, “The Price of Light” was my favorite. It takes place after he joins the Abbey and tells us a little about how the society of that age worked. It was also the best mystery in this book, even though it was not hard to guess most of the answers. The third story, “Eye Witness” was easy to solve early on but had a surprise (at least for me) twist at the end. Recommended, especially for fans ( )
  MusicMom41 | Oct 3, 2009 |
For those of us who through reading many books about Brother Cadfael have wondered about his decision to enter the Benedictine Order late in life, Ellis Peters has nicely given us background in this book. Following an active life as a soldier of the Crusades, Brother Cadfael, in a short story entitled, "On the Road to Woodstock," turns his back on a life of violence and adventure for the ordered, regulated life of a monk. Two other short stories grace this book all written with the wit and care for historical detail that we have come to expect in Ellis Peters. ( )
1 vote seoulful | Jun 18, 2009 |

Ooide, KenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelitti, ElsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pošustová-Menš… StanislavaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From the Introduction: Brother Cadfael sprang to life unexpectedly when he was already approaching sixty, mature, experienced, fully armed and seventeen years tonsured.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Consists of three short stories:

A Light on the Road to Woodstock (1120)

The Price of Light (1135)

Eye Witness

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446400882, Mass Market Paperback)

Finally, Brother Cadfael's many fans can discover the chain of events that led him into the Benedictine Order! Lavishly illustrated, these three tales show Cadfael at the height of his sleuthing form. "Three classic stories featuring Brother Cadfael . . . whose powers of deduction are practically miraculous".--Booklist.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:14 -0400)

A collection of three stories of 12th-century monastic life including a Christmas story, a tale of robbery and attempted murder, and a narrative of Brother Cadfael's early years.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible