3 By Flannery O'Connor: Wise Blood, A…

3 By Flannery O'Connor: Wise Blood, A Good Man is Hard to Find, The… (edition 1962)

by Flannery O'Connor

1,120107,356 (4.18)10
Member:elisabethan
Title:3 By Flannery O'Connor: Wise Blood, A Good Man is Hard to Find, The Violent Bear it Away
Authors:Flannery O'Connor
Info:Signet (1962), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:*****

Three by Flannery O'Connor: The Violent Bear It Away, Everything That Rises Must Converge, and Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor

Feeling that I had not been open to her writing before, I recently decided to read "A Good Man is Hard to Find" but only got through this one before tossing this book aside. If you love metaphors and descriptive works that bring you to the feel of a place, this book might be for you.
It was not for me however, in that it seems only to display the lowest aspects of all human life in the story, with no positive argument whatsoever for the survival of the human race. In reading her biography, she appears to dismiss all critics who did not like her work as unsophisticated readers or (worse!) "northern readers". Having lived in the south for fifteen years and having a passing acquaintance with her hometown of Milledgeville, I am familiar with the hostility of some of her neighbors who share her views. She did win literary awards as well as fans, and there is no question that she had great talent for graphic "gothic" writing. I feel that I can always read the newspapers if I want to revel in misery and brutality though, and when I want to read something , I usually look forward to a positive experience, a scary experience, or at least an enlightening one in literature. ( )
  PhyllisHarrison | Mar 26, 2013 |
I'm not sure why I couldn't finish this. I've only ever read short stories by O'Connor before. Maybe because these were longer, so they defied my own sense of her writing as brief in length and tight in prose? I kept restarting the book in part because it's such an ugly, yellowed paperback edition, and I wanted the satisfaction of finishing it and tossing it in the recycling. I tossed it before finishing. ( )
  allison.sivak | Nov 15, 2011 |
This was a hard book to get through. O'Connor writes a lot about characters who are conflicted (especially between faith and skepticism), racist, violent and trapped. Family conflicts pay a large role in the novels and short stories included in this collection. It was hard to get a strong sense that the racism on display was offensive to the other characters in the stories (in one the reaction is violent). The sense of claustrophobia and of being trapped by circumstances made me twitchy. The book provided a window on living in poverty, in the South, and on the process of desegregation, but it was depressing (esp. the short stories, which almost all ended in death). So: well written, but not to my taste. ( )
  silentq | Oct 11, 2011 |
Drive through Georgia, off an interstate and every turnoff road seems an invitation to an O'Collor novel. Amazing characters, always worth going back to. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Aug 5, 2011 |
I never know how to rate her stuff; she's brilliant, because her characters are relentlessly real-- and at the same time, I can't stand to be exposed to them.
  KatrinkaV | Jul 20, 2011 |
There are two versions of Three (or 3); this page is for the one which contains the works Wise Blood, Everything That Rises Must Converge, and The Violent Bear it Away. If your book appears on this page but contains A Good Man Is Hard to Find instead of Everything That Rises Must Converge, please separate it from this work and combine it with the other version of Three.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451525140, Mass Market Paperback)

The quintessential Southern writer, O'Connor wrote fiercely comic, powerful fiction. This anthology includes the masterpieces Wise Blood, The Violent Bear it Away, and Everything that Rises Must Converge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:55 -0400)

Legacy Library: Flannery O'Connor

Flannery O'Connor has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Flannery O'Connor's legacy profile.

See Flannery O'Connor's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,143,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible