Zähne und Klauen: Erzählungen by Tom…

Zähne und Klauen: Erzählungen (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Tom Coraghessan Boyle, Dirk van Gunsteren, Annette Grube

Info:München Hanser 2008
Collections:Your library, Gelesen
Rating:***
Tags:Sammlung

Tooth and Claw: and Other Stories by T.C. Boyle (2005)

English (7)  German (1)  All languages (8)
The stories collected in this volume under the title Tooth and claw, and other stories did not interest me at all. I have read other work by T. C. Boyle with pleasure, and therefore really tried to like this collection of his fiction. I read some, mainly negative reviews, and went back to stories that were praised, or considered relatively good by other readers, but even those stories had no meaning for me. There was not any way, except for the first story, to create a clear meaning for individual stories, and I could not establish an overarching theme.

Nothing seems to be wrong with the writing; it is just that the stories seem to hold no interest. ( )
  edwinbcn | Oct 21, 2014 |
Had the book contained only 3 stories, it would have gotten 5 stars. But... it didn't.

Of all the stories, there were actually 3 that I liked a lot, being "When I woke up this morning, Everything I had was gone", "Chicxulub" and "Tooth and Claw". Why these? I'm not sure. They differ quite a bit when contents is compared, but the main thing is, that they kept my attention for one reason or the other while reading. I actually liked the writing and wanted more of these three, found they were too short, altough the story in itself was 'finished'.

I'm not going to retell the stories. When you're curious, read them for yourselves.
I got curious enough to want to read more of this writer, but then a novel. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Engaging stories (with the audiobook read by the author) about the interplay of humanity with nature. The title story finds a man discovering the wild in a wild cat: following this is a story about a woman's journey alone on horseback through the early US as she discovers the power of water in nature; there's a funny story about the ultimate master controlled community; lots of stories revolve around men discovering the wild power of alcohol; and the collection ends with what T. C. Boyle says is his most autobiographical story about a young man - what would today be called a slacker- who becomes a teacher merely to avoid being drafted during the Vietnam War and who discovers the wilds of both drugs and floundering high school students. ( )
1 vote Citizenjoyce | Sep 24, 2012 |
As with all his short story collection, Boyle creates many compelling worlds, characters and situations. And the beauty of short stories is that, although some may not pan out over the long haul, they are perfect for their own little niche of 15-20 pages. ( )
  Jamnjazzz | Aug 6, 2008 |
I thought "When I Woke Up...," "Jubilation," and "Chicxulub" were exceptionally good. The rest were all strong but didn't grab me quite like Boyle sometimes can. ( )
  the.walnut.falcon | Nov 20, 2007 |
The Simiadae then branched off into two great stems, the New World and the Old World monkeys; and from the latter at a remote period, Man, the wonder and the glory of the universe, proceeded. -Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man
For Rob Jordan and Valerie Wong
The man I want to tell you about, the one I met at the bar at Jimmy's Steak House, was on a tear.

Since his first collection of stories, Descent of Man, appeared in 1979, T.C. Boyle has become an acknowledged master of the form who has transformed the nature of short fiction in our time. Among the fourteen tales in his seventh collection are the comic yet lyrical title story, in which a young man wins a vicious African cat in a bar bet; "Dogology," about a suburban woman losing her identity to a pack of strays; and "The Kind Assassin," which explores the consequences of a radio shock jock's quest to set a world record for sleeplessness. Muscular, provocative, and blurring the boundaries between humans and nature, the funny and the shocking, Tooth and Claw is Boyle at his best.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:22 -0400)

A collection of 14 stories proves that Boyle has his finger firmly on the pulse of our times. They offer a vivid collage of millennial American life and include: 'Dogology; Here Comes; Kind Assassin; Jubilation, ' and 'Up Against the Wall, ' to name just a few.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible