Literature: An Introduction to Fiction,…

Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama

by X. J. Kennedy, Dana Gioia (Editor)

Literature As Exploration by Louise M. Rosenblatt (pre20cenbooks)
    pre20cenbooks: I have the pleasure of enjoying the teachers edition...very, very good. I never new how valuable an English lit course or two could be to developing a well rounded thinking individual.

Truly, I found this a very good intro to literature, reading and comprehension takes time, and skill, and literature has been known to be a stimulus to exploring other time periods, peoples. Reading literature was not encouraged in my youth. I had poor community college literature instructor, so I was not encouraged to read literature; he wanted his students to parrot his lecturers in written papers to make the A's and B's. So I did. This book is filling in some gaps for what I missed in college and high school, helping to improve my skills or evaluate what skills I think I might have in reading and writing. ( )
  pre20cenbooks | Feb 12, 2014 |
Not high level reading, as I would expect from a college textbook, many of the short stories and poems I read in my honors english class during my freshman year of high school. I did not anticipate that I would re-read these stories my freshman year of college in English 1B: Literature and Composition. ( )
  bluecrystal248 | Oct 2, 2013 |
Please advise where to find this book on audio.
  DLCJ | Oct 27, 2010 |
A great collection of classic shortstories, plays, and poems. Great introductions of the writers. ( )
  foof2you | Oct 2, 2008 |
As one might guess from the title this is a college textbook on literature. The coverage on specific topics like "tone", "style", "character", etc. is probably about par with other textbooks on this subject.

However, I really kept this book because it has a large number of example stories and poems which I consider classics. It's a pretty thick book so as you can imagine it's got quite a few of 'em.

- Peter K. ( )
1 vote Kisners42 | Jul 14, 2007 |

X. J. Kennedyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gioia, DanaEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Literature, 7/e, the most popular introduction of its kind, is organized into three genres - Fiction, Poetry, and Drama. This edition reflects a balance of classic works along with contemporary and non-Western authors. As in past editions, the authors' collective poetic voice brings personal warmth and a human perspective to the discussion of literature, adding to students' interest in the readings. In this edition, the coverage of writing about literature is enhanced through Writing Critically sections in every major chapter.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:16 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,335,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible