The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex

The True Meaning of Smekday (2007)

by Adam Rex

Series: Smek (1)

Gratuity Tucci (yes, Gratuity) is a little girl who takes on big things in this story. The Boov have taken over Earth, and have asked all the people in the US to relocate to Florida. However, since her mother's abduction, she has been on her own, and she decides to take the long route to Florida. On her way there, she befriends a Boov who calls himself JLo, and they embark on the journey together. What happens is that another alien invader comes along and makes everything a whole lot more interesting, and eventually Gratuity is the one who saves the day, and finally gets to reunite with her mom.

This story was so unexpectedly fun and amazing! I didn't realize that this was the book that they based the movie 'Home' after, and by golly it is so much more amazing. I felt that concept of colonization, and understanding the different sides of a story throughout the whole book. I really would love to read this to a class, 4th or 5th grade, even though it is so long. I would definitely have to work on my Boov and Gorg voice!
  maryganderson | Nov 9, 2018 |
Everything everyone ever told me about this book is true. I adored it. Tip was fantastic and having the tale written as an essay from her point of view really let her personality shine through. J.Lo was almost just as great, as were Pig, the different BOOBs, the Chief, Tipsmom, and the rest. The illustrations and comics were important to the story and were adorable. Had I children, I'd read this to them. Since I don't, I'll most certainly be gifting it. It's fun, it's wildly entertaining, and it's rooted in the realities of the world and doesn't shy away from things like racism but makes them completely understandable and approachable for children (and anyone) to think about. So much fun!
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Our family listened to this title on tape, after I had spent some years dismissing it as too riddled with pop references for me to possibly understand it.

While the book was terrific, the recording was outstanding. The narrator enlivens the characters, braving alien sounds "sheep noise, bubble wrap bubble wrap" and J.Lo's voice is distinctive & inimitable. Initially I thought the book would rely too much on gimmicky humor and cheap, albeit funny jabs at modernity ( ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |

msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
The True Meaning of Smekday, is an essay by Gratuity Tucci, and 12 year old from Philly who has to leave because aliens invaded, abducted her mom, ordered everyone to move to Florida. She decided to load up her cat named Pig into the family car - which she can only drive with cans tied to her feet - drive down to Florida, even though the aliens are providing rocket pods.

Along the way she meets a Boov (one of the aliens who invaded earth) named J-Lo, who made a tiny little mistake that is going to make the human race go out of the frying pan and into the fire. Together they travel post invasion USA through Happy Mouse Land, Roswell, and Arizona, where all the humans have been moved to.

One of the things I really liked about the book was how the Boov are really alien. Lots of time in SF when the author wants to explain things, they try and make them make sense. But with the Boov something that looks like a tube of silly string can make your car float.

I really liked this book and, strangely, I was surprised it was "kids"/Young Adult book.

Shhsss don't tell anyone but I actually listend to the audio version of the book. The narrator nailed J-Lo and Tip perfectly. But I did eventually buy the Kindle version too, because Adam Rex is an illustrator as well as an author, and there are drawings and comics in the wordy version. Comics are high art on Boov.
  rondavis | Apr 18, 2018 |

Adam Rexprimary authorall editionscalculated
Turpin, BahniReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Home (2014IMDb)

It all starts with a school essay.

When twelve-year-old Gratuity (“Tip”) Tucci is assigned to write five pages on “The True Meaning of Smekday” for the National Time Capsule contest, she’s not sure where to begin. When her mom started telling everyone about the messages aliens were sending through a mole on the back of her neck? Maybe on Christmas Eve, when huge, bizarre spaceships descended on the Earth and the aliens – called Boov – abducted her mother? Or when the Boov declared Earth a colony, renamed it “Smekland” (in honor of glorious Captain Smek), and forced all Americans to relocate to Florida via rocketpod?

In any case, Gratuity’s story is much, much bigger than the assignment. It involves her unlikely friendship with a renegade Boov mechanic named J.Lo.; a futile journey south to find Gratuity’s mother at the Happy Mouse Kingdom; a cross-country road trip in a hovercar called Slushious; and an outrageous plan to save the Earth from yet another alien invasion.

Fully illustrated with “photos,” drawings, newspaper clippings, and comics sequences, this is a hilarious, perceptive, genre-bending novel by a remarkable new talent.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

When her mother is abducted by aliens on Christmas Eve (or "Smekday" Eve since the Boov invasion), 11 year-old Tip hops in the family car and heads south to find her and meets an alien Boov mechanic who agrees to help her and save the planet from disaster.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,621,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible