Bones by Jan Burke

Bones (original 1999; edition 2001)

by Jan Burke

Member:re_re_98
Title:Bones
Authors:Jan Burke
Info:Signet (2001), Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:TBR

Bones by Jan Burke (1999)

Burke does a pretty good job of maintaining the suspense of Bones, although I found the Ben Sheridan character more interesting than the protagonist Irene. This is a killer-showing-the-cops-where-the-bodies-are-buried thriller, with the standard turn-around of the villain stalking someone in that group.
The book is easy to read, and you can hurry through it. There are a couple of twists, some predictable. But the bad guy is creepy enough, and the main characters intriguing enough, that you want to finish the book. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I think that this is my favorite book. I couldn't put it down. It is a scary mystery and surprises keep happening. ( )
  ChildofGod | Dec 11, 2015 |
Read this book in one day (24 hour period that is). I liked it so much, that I could hardly put it down.
Not a book for people with a weak stomach or who are easily offended. For all others who are into thrillers is this a must read! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Nov 12, 2015 |
This book won an Edgar but I was thoroughly unimpressed. I didn't care, first of all, for the way the book jumped between first person for Irene Kelley's perspective, and third person for others, such as the psychopathic serial killer of the tale. (Nor did I like the prologue entirely in italics--I don't like how authors use that font to throw a piece of gauze over their prose--pretentious and hard to read.) I thought how the plot unfolded and the way the killer's mind was portrayed was utterly predictable. The one thing I did love was the cadaver dog, Bingle. I found him a lot more memorable and fascinating than the killer, Nicholas Parrish, or Irene Kelly, the heroine of the tale. Unfortunately, there's not enough of him to redeem this 500 page novel. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Nov 6, 2010 |
Irene Kelly - #7
  pharrm | Nov 26, 2009 |
The gate was open and the drawbridge down.
  He galloped across, but when he got to the end of the drawbridge, someone yanked the cable so abruptly that Parzival was nearly thrown, horse and all, into the moat.
  Parzival turned back to see who had done this to him. There, standing in the open gateway, was the page who had pulled the cable, shaking his fist at Parzival. "May God damn the light that falls upon your path!" the boy cried. "You fool! You wretched fool! Why didn't you ask the question?"
  "What do you mean?" Parzival shouted back. "What question?"
—PARZIVAL: The Quest of the Grail Knight
by Wolfram von Eschenbach,
as retold by Katherine Paterson
To Judy Myers Suchey and Paul Sledzik
and the AFIP Forensic Anthropology Faculty
for their compassionate work
and for teaching me to see more than bones
and
in memory of Shadow and Siri
He paid cash for the book, as he had for all the other books on this subject.

What really happened to Julia Sayre? She disappeared four years ago. A young mother of two. Sayre was more than a news story to reporter Irene Kelly. When Sayre's family sought Irene's help, the search became a personal mission-and a fruitless one. Despite Irene's best efforts, only one person knew where to find Sayre: her killer. Now, years later, one of the most notorious criminals on death row is willing to talk. Condemned for unimaginable acts of torture and murder, Nick Parrish is plea bargaining for a life sentence-by leading Irene and a select group of officials to the secluded mountain grave of his victim. Soon, in the dark isolation of the Sierra Nevadas, they will discover what really happened. But Parrish's most terrifying secret is yet to come. And he's saving it just for Irene... (back of book)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451202473, Mass Market Paperback)

Nobody writes better than Jan Burke about the real world of print journalism, and that aspect of her latest Irene Kelly mystery is as strong as ever. The tensions of being the wife of a cop and continuing to work as a crime reporter in the Southern California desert city of Las Piernas have increased with each big story Irene covers: it's almost as though her associates are waiting for her to make some mistake, to fumble a story. When an edgy, rebellious teenage girl asks her to look for her missing mother, Irene crosses the path of a very dangerous serial killer--Nicholas Parrish. He is one of those totally anonymous but enormously gifted and resourceful villains found only in fiction. Parrish kills women who happen to look like Irene (and his abusive mother), and attracts devoted disciples to his grisly cause. Because of Irene's involvement, several more lives are damaged or endangered, and the strain takes its toll on the reporter's mental stability.

Burke is such a fine, realistic writer that she can tread her way carefully across territory already well covered by Patricia Cornwell, Jeffery Deaver, Thomas Harris, et al. and still find something new to say about ritual murder and forensic science. But her real talent is bringing to full, instant life a remarkable woman--and the city she lives and works in. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

A serial killer leads authorities in Nevada to the graves of his women victims which he has secretly booby trapped. A grave explodes, killing several people and he escapes in the confusion, but reporter Irene Kelly survives and goes after him.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,508,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible