Moonheart by Charles de Lint

Moonheart (1984)

by Charles de Lint

Series: Moonheart (1), Ottawa and the Valley

1,698236,245 (4.03)1 / 117
Recently added byLarkinHS, Sammystarbuck, farmerbones, private library

This classic fantasy novel is highly enjoyable and very tense, though not flawless. It's a book with an incredible magical house (the best part of the whole book), Ottawa Mounties who investigate the paranormal, and melded Celtic and First Nations mythology. It feels like a huge, deep fantasy, and is original in so many ways.

Yet uneven in others. The shifting point of view really jolted me at the start and I never fully adjusted to the technique. There is a huge cast of characters, and I struggled to keep everyone straight. It didn't help that a large number of characters were bland stereotypes. Pretty much all of the native characters came across that way-not negative stereotypes, necessarily, but tired ones. Same with a major Celtic bard, too--he was paint-by-numbers in every way. There were two instances of insta-love that were so insta-love I was left bewildered.

That said, it's still a gripping book. There's the HOUSE! The magnificent Tamson House that straddles worlds and defends its people. And there's... well. The house is the best part. Read it for the house, as it does end up taking over the plot in a big way through the end. ( )
  ladycato | Oct 28, 2017 |
3 and a half stars. excellent, but could have used some editing towards the end when the climactic sequence goes on and on. and on. ( )
  macha | Jan 10, 2017 |
It's not perfect, it's a bit rambly, sometimes a little confusing. It's dated in places, and not always too well. The characterisation is a little uneven, and there are almost too many characters to keep track of at times. Even de Lint himself in the afterword admits it's not the book he set out to write, and not the one he'd write now, but he resists the temptation to "fix" it.

And I'm giving it 5 stars anyway, because any book that sticks with you for 25 years, and still gives as much joy to read now as it did then, has to be worth that. Even just looking at it sitting on my shelf, next to a hardcover of Greenmantle I picked up a couple of years ago, makes me happy. Now I just have to find myself another copy of Faerie Tale.

Full review @Booklikes ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
One of my all-time favorite books and one which I've read multiple times. I have another edition around here somewhere, but the one I always turn to is the paperback edition with the tree, Taliesin, and Sarah sitting underneath it. It started my tradition of bringing a book into an Irish pub when I just wanted to come in, enjoy a pint and dinner, and then go home. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
I'll be honest, I only got half way through this book. I read another book by Charles de Lint, that seemed to drag in places, but the story line was interesting enough to keep me going. This one just didn't. After 225 pages I've found I don't even care how it ends. That happens rarely with me. Even when I'm tired of the book I will often stick it out and get to the end. A few times a book got boring enough that I skipped ahead a few chapters, but only a hand full of times have I just given up completely.

So what is this book about? Sarah (I think that was her name) finds a ring that is pulling her into a non-linear timeline. There are super naturals that seem to be working a magic of sorts. We know if they are not immortal, their lives span hundreds of years.

There's an uncle Jamie in there that seems to be a connection between Sarah in the present and the past.

Beyond that I have no idea what was going on in the book because I couldn't focus on it enough to care.

Sorry for the negativity. I try to write my reviews with the same concept I have of football. I don't have the talent or skill to play, so who am I to judge? I accept I will never be an author regardless of my love of books. I don't have the talent. But this book needed an editor in the very worst way. A good editor could have eliminated enough of the drag for the book to sail. Instead it just sunk for me.

I could recommend this book to individuals that enjoy a good fantasy novel, and have the patience to work through it. ( )
  jlsimon7 | Mar 1, 2015 |

Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for
MaryAnn
who helps it happen
Sara Kendall once read somewhere that the tale of the world is like a tree.

When Sara and Jamie discovered the seemingly ordinary artifacts, they sensed the pull of a dim and distant place. A world of mists and forests, of ancient magics, mythical beings, ageless bards...and restless evil.

Now, with their friends and enemies alike--Blue, the biker; Keiran, the folk musician; the Inspector from the RCMP; and the mysterious Tom Hengyr--Sara and Jamie are drawn into this enchanted land through the portals of Tamson House, that sprawling downtown edifice that straddles two worlds.

Sweeping from ancient Wales to the streets of Ottawa today, Moonheart will entrance you with its tale of this world and the other one at the very edge of sight...and the unforgettable people caught up in the affairs of both. A tale of music, and motorcycles, and fey folk beyond the shadows of the moon. A tale of true magic; the tale of Moonheart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:30 -0400)

Sara Kendall and Kieran Foy become trapped in the midst of the eternal battle between good and evil, in a tale of magic and romance that moves from ancient Wales to modern Canada.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,686,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible