Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics by…

Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics

by Joe Biden

So I go into this used book store on Chestnut Street near 7th and I say
I'm looking for a biography of Joe Biden
. Because, y'know, that's what I'm looking for.
And the clerk says nothing and looks at me like I crawled out from under a rock. What's up with that?

Anyway, I find a book. It's on display near the front of the store. I walked right past it!
So I buy the took and take it home. It's an OK book, but I am only reading it during daylight. It isn't a good enough book to waste candle wax on, y'know what I mean?
So my buddy sees me reading the book and says get that out of sight! I just don't get it.
When I figure this out I'll get back to you.
1 vote bertilak | Nov 14, 2012 |
Then-Senator Biden’s autobiography is an interesting read with lots of historical, as well as personal, details. In the beginning when talking about his childhood and growing up, Biden presents lots of family and personal anecdotes to the point that it feels like “Grandpa Joe” is sitting across from you in the kitchen and telling you some old-timey stories. After a while, Biden’s journey becomes less personal and more political as he talks about his days in the U.S. Senate and running for president in the 1980s. He provides an interesting look at politics from the inside (i.e., the different cafeterias in the Senate, the Senate gym, etc.) Later, he includes a long section where he intertwines two personal political battles - the long road toward passing the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) and the Bosnian genocide. This section was particularly interesting to me, although obviously heart-wrenching because of its discussion of domestic violence, rape, war, etc. Biden takes us to the then-current day with problems that are still ongoing today (e.g., wars in Afghanistan and Iraq) and his vision for the future. He's far more optimistic than me about America's prospects, but it’s nice to end on a hopeful note. Surprisingly, the audio book is not read by Biden himself, but Mark Deakins does a very good job as the narrator. Overall, this was an engrossing and informative book. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Nov 14, 2011 |
I enjoyed the Senator's (Vice-President-Elect) life journey to his present status. The book has very interesting insights into recent historical events and people. I also got to understand the Senator's political philosophy. The narrative is in an engaging style that is easy to read. The end was a presidential pitch though. ( )
1 vote stevetempo | Nov 29, 2008 |

Joe Bidenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost
For Mom and Dad, who kept their promises

This is the story of a man who faced down personal challenges and tragedy, to become a public servant who refuses to be cynical about political leadership. As a senator from Delaware since 1973, Joe Biden has been a witness to the major events of the past four decades and a relentless actor in trying to shape recent American history. Here he reveals what these experiences taught him about himself, his colleagues, and the institutions of government. He shows how the guiding principles he learned early in life--the obligation to work to make people's lives better, to honor family and faith, to get up and do the right thing no matter how hard you've been knocked down, to be honest and straightforward, and, above all, to keep your promises--are the foundations on which he has based his life's work as husband, father, and public servant.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,632,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible