Curses! by Aaron J. Elkins

Curses! (1989)

by Aaron J. Elkins

Julia and Gideon are invited to a dig in Mexico where a codex mysteriously disappeared during a previous expedition. All the usual suspects return and Gideon avoids death twice before resolving the case. With substantial help from his wife. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jul 30, 2016 |
Gideon Oliver gets invited back to a dig on the Yucatan Peninsula that he was involved with 5 years before. The dig supervisor at the time ran off with a priceless Mayan codex and the dig was shut down. Now Gideon's friend Abe Lewis is in charge on the dig when a Mayan curse is found and it seems to be coming true. Not as much forensic anthropology as some books in the series but still a lot of fun. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
During the winter break, Professor Gideon Oliver and his wife Julie jump at an opportunity to join an archaeological project in Yucatán. Five years earlier, Gideon had been part of a project at the same location that went terribly wrong. After a rare Mayan codex was discovered at the site, both the codex and the project leader had disappeared. The reopening of the site gave several members of the earlier team an opportunity to redeem their reputations. One of the new team's first discoveries is a Mayan curse on those who would disturb the site. Soon, things start to go very wrong, just as the curse predicted. Do the events really have a supernatural origin, or is someone very human behind them?

I picked this one up mainly for the atmosphere and setting. I spent several days in Yucatán a few years ago, and I'm planning another trip soon. This book gave me just what I was looking for – a decent mystery mixed with adventure and a strong sense of place. Gideon successfully solved the mystery, so I won't need to worry about the curses befalling me on my next visit to Yucatán! ( )
  cbl_tn | Nov 10, 2011 |
I liked this book. It was exciting and had some interesting history of the Maya. It was interesting to see how it was finally solved. If you like Aaron Elkins books, or books that have some antropology in them you will like this book! ( )
  TracyK1 | May 26, 2009 |
This one's also fun to re-read. This time I didn't remember who (though I figured it out about the same time Gideon did); also didn't remember why, though how was kind of obvious. Rich backgrounds, interesting people, puzzling events...though Gideon is rather an idiot for a while! Unnecessary risks. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 5, 2008 |

Professor Gideon Oliver travels to the Yucatan Peninsula to inspect a skeleton in a Mayan archaeological dig. But when people begin to die mysteriously and a set of hieroglyphs describe a horrible curse, Oliver must don his thinking cap to solve an ancient riddle - and a modern mystery.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,517,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible