Saint Peter's Fair by Ellis Peters

Saint Peter's Fair (1981)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Brother Cadfael (4)

Plague Land by S D Sykes (charlie68)
    charlie68: Same time period

English (30)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (35)
Consistently excellent and historically accurate reads of a Shrewsbury monk solving crimes in the middle ages. When the annual fair sets up in Shrewsbury, the local townsmen ask the church for a share of the profits after the previous year's loss in battle. When the new abbot refuses, the sons of the villagers again attempt to get recognition by approaching a wealthy merchant, a fight breaks out and later that night, the merchant ends of dead. But that isn't the end, the merchant's body and vessel is searched and happenings unfold that put the merchant's niece at risk. Brother Cadfael and sheriff's deputy and friend of Cadfael, Hugh Beringar search for answers. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Aug 6, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this Cadfael volume. Events happened quickly. Although there were a few obvious bluffs, there were still some surprises. I suppose the rivalry for the throne between two disputed heirs is not new fodder for plots, still I’ve not read too much about Steven and Maud. ( )
  kaulsu | Jul 30, 2018 |
Another good mystery about Brother Cadfael, with lots of history sprinkled about the story to give it a ring of authenticity. I thought I knew the murderer, then I wasn't sure, then I found out...love mysteries that don't make it too easy to guess. A keeper. ( )
  fuzzi | May 29, 2018 |
Another fun romp through murder and mayhem with our favorite Brother Cadfael. ( )
  MarysGirl | Nov 7, 2017 |
The only problem I'm finding is that I keep inserting things from the tv series into the book series as I read along.

And I'm not always correct.

Which makes things confusing, for me, as I'm reading along. BUT, it keeps the mystery in the book ;) ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volkovskogo, Vitalii︠a︡Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wargan, KrzysztofTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It began at the normal daily chapter in the Benedictine monastery of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, of Shrewsbury, on the thirtieth day of July, in the year of Our Lord 1139.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446403016, Mass Market Paperback)

When a merchant bound for St. Peter's Fair is found with a slender dagger piercing his heart, Brother Cadfael is on the case. Two murders later, he realizes that no one--least of all the merchant's lovely niece--is safe. "Colorful, convincing details on the workings of a medieval fair".--Kirkus Reviews.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

At the annual fair of Saint Peter, an unseemly quarrel breaks out between the local burghers and the monks, as to who shall benefit from the levies the fair provides. Afterwards a merchant is found dead and Brother Cadfael is called upon to investigate.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,925,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible