The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

The City of Ember

by Jeanne DuPrau

Series: Books of Ember (1)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but these are similar in premise.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Bitter_Grace)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Bitter_Grace, goodiegoodie)
    The People of Sparks by Jeanne DuPrau (moongrove2)
    moongrove2: It is the sequal
    Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix (Runa, Hollerama)
    Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Z for Zachariah treats the same basic theme — the destruction of earth and what the characters must do to survive — but O'Brien's book is much more sophisticated. It's probably not the greatest for young readers, but an adult will find much to enjoy here.… (more)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (missmaddie)
    The Danger Quotient by Annabel Johnson (SunnySD)
    Devil on My Back by Monica Hughes (Shanshad)
    Redwall by Brian Jacques (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Mostly dissimilar, but the Redwall books deal with the same kinds of puzzles if that's the draw.
    The House of Power by Patrick Carman (Yehudit)
    The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas (FFortuna)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (afyfe)

ALA Notable Book. RGG: Beautifully written fantasy story of two children's efforts to save their society. A sequel is coming!
  rgruberexcel | Aug 16, 2014 |
It is Assignment Day in the City of Ember. All 12 year olds are given a job to do for the next 3 years for the good of the city. Lina is disappointed to receive the assignment of working the pipeworks. On a chance meeting, she trades her job for that of messenger so that she can run all over the city; Doon is happy to have the chance to get into the nitty gritty of the city to see if he can do something to fix the many things falling apart. When Lina discovers a forgotten box from an ancestor who was the town's mayor several decades before, Doon works with her to try to figure out if there is an answer hidden within to help the townspeople survive. This book would hold interest especially for boys, good for grades 5-8. 270 pages. ( )
  sgrame | Jul 21, 2014 |
I like this book. It was recommended to me by a student, and it has some really great themes. The ending leaves the reader wondering what will happen next for the characters (lucky for us there is a sequel?). That's the sign of a good book. :) Read it all today. I might read the sequel, The People of Sparks....but it's not a priority. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Plot: 3 1/2 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 3 1/2 stars
Pace: 3 stars

I read this because a friend was told her book had a similar style. I don't really see the connection, but it wasn't a bad book. Just predictable and a bit silly at points. I'll probably read the next one just to see if it gets better. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
While a book like ''Faerie Wars'' diverts young readers from their daily lives, one like ''The City of Ember'' encourages them to tackle the most ambitious tasks. Hard work can save the day, it promises. It's an old-fashioned lesson that is somehow easier to swallow when delivered in a futuristic setting.

Jeanne DuPrauprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riely, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks to the friends who read and commented helpfully on my manuscript: Susie Mader, Patrick Daly, Andrew Ramer, Charlotte Muse, Sara Jenkins, Mary Dederer, and Pat Carr. My gratitude to my agent, Nancy Gallt, who brought The City of Ember into the light, and my editor, Jim Thomas, who made it the best book it could be. And my love and thanks to my mother, my first and best writing teacher.
When the city of Ember was just built and not yet inhabited, the chief builder and the assistant builder, both of them weary, sat down to speak of the future.
In the city of Ember, the sky was always dark. The only light came from great floodlamps mounted on the buildings and at the top of poles in the middle of the larger squares.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375822747, Paperback)

It is always night in the city of Ember. But there is no moon, no stars. The only light during the regular twelve hours of "day" comes from floodlamps that cast a yellowish glow over the streets of the city. Beyond are the pitch-black Unknown Regions, which no one has ever explored because an understanding of fire and electricity has been lost, and with it the idea of a Moveable Light. "Besides," they tell each other, "there is nowhere but here" Among the many other things the people of Ember have forgotten is their past and a direction for their future. For 250 years they have lived pleasantly, because there has been plenty of everything in the vast storerooms. But now there are more and more empty shelves--and more and more times when the lights flicker and go out, leaving them in terrifying blackness for long minutes. What will happen when the generator finally fails?

Twelve-year-old Doon Harrow and Lina Mayfleet seem to be the only people who are worried. They have just been assigned their life jobs--Lina as a messenger, which leads her to knowledge of some unsettling secrets, and Doon as a Pipeworker, repairing the plumbing in the tunnels under the city where a river roars through the darkness. But when Lina finds a very old paper with enigmatic "Instructions for Egress," they use the advantages of their jobs to begin to puzzle out the frightening and dangerous way to the city of light of which Lina has dreamed. As they set out on their mission, the haunting setting and breathless action of this stunning first novel will have teens clamoring for a sequel. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:07 -0400)

In the year 241, twelve-year-old Lina trades jobs on Assignment Day to be a Messenger to run to new places in her decaying but beloved city, perhaps even to glimpse Unknown Regions.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,738,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible