The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

The City of Ember (2003)

by Jeanne DuPrau

5,798None727 (3.9)223
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but these are similar in premise.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Bitter_Grace)
    The People of Sparks by Jeanne DuPrau (moongrove2)
    moongrove2: It is the sequal
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Bitter_Grace, goodiegoodie)
    Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Z for Zachariah treats the same basic theme — the destruction of earth and what the characters must do to survive — but O'Brien's book is much more sophisticated. It's probably not the greatest for young readers, but an adult will find much to enjoy here.… (more)
    Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix (Runa, Hollerama)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (missmaddie)
    The Danger Quotient by Annabel Johnson (SunnySD)
    Devil on My Back by Monica Hughes (Shanshad)
    Redwall by Brian Jacques (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Mostly dissimilar, but the Redwall books deal with the same kinds of puzzles if that's the draw.
    The House of Power by Patrick Carman (Yehudit)
    The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas (FFortuna)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (afyfe)

I read this one out loud to Scot. He requested that we read #2 in the series next, so I guess it was a winner! ( )
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this sci/fi book. An entire city has been built underground and stocked with everything they could ever need. Including an important clue about who they are, where they came from and how to leave. But that clue has been lost and forgotten about, and now supplies are starting to run low. What will become of the City of Ember? ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book, and was disappointed I had waited so long to read it. I know there are sequels, but the ending was still a little too open ended for me. Now to see the movie I suppose! The audiobook reader did an excellent job with different voices and there were sound effects as well. ( )
  GR8inD8N | Mar 31, 2014 |
This book was about a city that was made to save humanity from humanity destroying itself. In order to do so the builders built an underground city with lots of supplies. The builders also entrusted the mayor of ember a box they didn't say what was in the box besides the fact that one day it will open and will do what it says. The third mayor took the box thinking it would contain a cure to a disease that he had caught. Years later a girl named Lina Mayfleet finds the box and it is open yet there is nothing in it but she finds that her sister had eaten the paper that was inside. She had to piece it together and she found out it was instructions to leave the city. So Lina works with her friend Doon and they figure out how to leave the city.

I thought this book was really good. I thought the book was good because the book has a lot of action and mystery. The book was interesting because there was secrets that have changed the city of ember. The main characters showed that it only takes commitment to change something. By doing this they saved all the citizens of the city of ember. The book was made a lot more interesting when Lina and Doon had to figure out the instructions after Lina's sister ate them. They did it though and I thought it was interesting how they did it.
  GarrettE1.B4 | Mar 20, 2014 |
While a book like ''Faerie Wars'' diverts young readers from their daily lives, one like ''The City of Ember'' encourages them to tackle the most ambitious tasks. Hard work can save the day, it promises. It's an old-fashioned lesson that is somehow easier to swallow when delivered in a futuristic setting.

My thanks to the friends who read and commented helpfully on my manuscript: Susie Mader, Patrick Daly, Andrew Ramer, Charlotte Muse, Sara Jenkins, Mary Dederer, and Pat Carr. My gratitude to my agent, Nancy Gallt, who brought The City of Ember into the light, and my editor, Jim Thomas, who made it the best book it could be. And my love and thanks to my mother, my first and best writing teacher.
When the city of Ember was just built and not yet inhabited, the chief builder and the assistant builder, both of them weary, sat down to speak of the future.
In the city of Ember, the sky was always dark. The only light came from great floodlamps mounted on the buildings and at the top of poles in the middle of the larger squares.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375822747, Paperback)

It is always night in the city of Ember. But there is no moon, no stars. The only light during the regular twelve hours of "day" comes from floodlamps that cast a yellowish glow over the streets of the city. Beyond are the pitch-black Unknown Regions, which no one has ever explored because an understanding of fire and electricity has been lost, and with it the idea of a Moveable Light. "Besides," they tell each other, "there is nowhere but here" Among the many other things the people of Ember have forgotten is their past and a direction for their future. For 250 years they have lived pleasantly, because there has been plenty of everything in the vast storerooms. But now there are more and more empty shelves--and more and more times when the lights flicker and go out, leaving them in terrifying blackness for long minutes. What will happen when the generator finally fails?

Twelve-year-old Doon Harrow and Lina Mayfleet seem to be the only people who are worried. They have just been assigned their life jobs--Lina as a messenger, which leads her to knowledge of some unsettling secrets, and Doon as a Pipeworker, repairing the plumbing in the tunnels under the city where a river roars through the darkness. But when Lina finds a very old paper with enigmatic "Instructions for Egress," they use the advantages of their jobs to begin to puzzle out the frightening and dangerous way to the city of light of which Lina has dreamed. As they set out on their mission, the haunting setting and breathless action of this stunning first novel will have teens clamoring for a sequel. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:07 -0400)

In the year 241, twelve-year-old Lina trades jobs on Assignment Day to be a Messenger to run to new places in her decaying but beloved city, perhaps even to glimpse Unknown Regions.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible