The devil's novice by Ellis Peters

The devil's novice (original 1983; edition 1993)

by Ellis Peters (Author), Patrick Tull (Narrator)

1,019168,334 (3.83)25
Recently added bykathytapia, diana.n, private library, dm13, DBev, fredcarbunkle, amyem58

English (13)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (16)
an easy-to-read, enjoyable mystery that felt pretty true to its time period (1100s England) ( )
  TnTexas | Oct 15, 2013 |
Six-word review:

Pleasing variant on successful mystery formula. ( )
  Meredy | Sep 28, 2013 |
Not her best. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
The language in all the Brother Cadfael novels never ceases to boggle my mind. How Peters managed to take modern English and make it sound as if it were straight out of the 12th century is nothing short of amazing. The Devil's Novice is one of the better entries in the series. The history, as always, is fascinating. One day I'll go back and read the entire series in order just so I can follow the ebb and flow of the war between Maud and Stephen. I found the characters to be quite compelling - the pride and stubbornness exhibited by several of them is exactly what I would have expected from a lord of the manor, and while the guilty party was narrowed down to a couple of people early in the story, I was never able to make out the motive until it was revealed, and at that point I felt that it fit together well. ( )
1 vote benfulton | Aug 7, 2012 |
I have finally found an Ellis Peters, Brother Cadfael mystery story that didn't quite measure up to the high standard she has set and achieved in the other Brother Cadfael mysteries. I believe the answer lies in the rather unsympathetic ancillary characters that not only don't ring true, but also do not inspire our interest. We still have the tried and true Brother Cadfael, resident monk and herbalist at the Abbey of Saint Peter and Saint Paul in Medieval Shrewsbury, England as well as Hugh Beringar, the no nonsense sheriff of the shire plus the gentle monk, Mark, who cares for the lepers and maimed at nearby St. Giles. We also have the excellent descriptions of medieval life and wonderful use of the English language from Ellis Peters to give pleasure to one of her lesser offerings. ( )
  seoulful | Apr 18, 2010 |

Menini, María AntoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zardoni, MonicaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the middle of September of that year of our Lord, 1140, two lords of Shropshire manors, one north of the town of Shrewsbury, the other south, sent envoys to the abbey of Saint Peter and Saint Paul on the same day, desiring the entry of younger sons of their houses to the Order.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

It is 1140. The Benedictine monastry at Shrewsbury finds its new novice Meriet Aspley a disturbing presence. Meek by day, his sleep is disturbed by violent nightmares that earn him the nickname of "Devil's Novice". Can he be involved with the disappearance of a superior prelate?

Suspicions abound when a young man turns up at Shrewsbury Abbey wanting to join as a novice and the half-burnt body of a missing cleric is found.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible