The Gypsy by Steven Brust

The Gypsy (original 1992; edition 2005)

by Steven Brust

Member:cainch
Title:The Gypsy
Authors:Steven Brust
Info:Orb Books (2005), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***

The Gypsy by Steven Brust (1992)

English (10)  French (1)  All languages (11)
The first portions of the book feel like being caught in an Autumn Windstorm of book leaves, each with a disconnected fragment on which you start to notice the continuing bits of different views. I don't think the story was sufficient to remain interesting if told as a straight narrative, but since the characters are often in as much confusion as the reader the approach isn't arbitrary. As a fan of both Steven Brust and Megan Lindholm/Robin Hobb I wouldn't push this on fans of one or the other. ( )
  quondame | Sep 18, 2018 |
This story, based heavily on Hungarian folklore, has a dreamlike quality that some may dislike and that takes it a little out of the standard light-reading fantasy category. I found it fascinating once I caught on, and expect to enjoy it more with a second reading now that I know what to expect.
  janisbeth | Jun 25, 2017 |
Definitely one for the urban fantasy fans.
Co-written by Megan Lindholm (Robin Hobb) and Steven Brust, the book mixes Hungarian folkloric archetypes with a story of modern police and teens. I suspect that Lindholm wrote the folklore-inspired characters, because some of them, especially the title character, reminded me of her early book "Wizard of the Pigeons." There are a few references to tie this in to Brust's 'Taltos' series, which fans of his will likely appreciate.
Overall, though, this isn't a major work by either of these authors. It's all right, but I wanted a little more depth to it. The main villain didn't seem to have any motivation for her deeds other than that "well, she's Pure Evil," and her minions/henchmen were kinda stereotypical, like "the bullied child who turns bad due to his resentment," and "the girl who goes bad 'cause she wants to grow up too fast and be cool" It also could have done a bit more delving into actual Gypsy culture, rather than just dealing with figures of folklore.
I guess there's a companion musical album that goes with this book, which I haven't heard. The chapters all are headed with lyrics from the songs - and they all rhyme really annoyingly. Maybe they're great in their musical context, but many lyrics just do not work as written poetry.

Just thinking about urban fantasy in general.. I love the idea of myth and magic mixing with the modern world, the whole idea of gritty "faerie-punk." The Bordertown series did it particularly well. But very often, I find myself unsatisfied by many books in the genre, and I've been trying to put my finger on why. I think it's because these stories so often deal with the disenfranchised and/or troubled, and too often, one feels like it's coming from an outside, even preachy (or at least message-y) perspective. I didn't feel like the authors of this book really knew (or if they know, it didn't really come through) what it's like to live as a gypsy, always suspected of crimes. Or as a punk teen. Or as a 'reformed' prostitute. Or even as a cop.
I feel a little unfair, complaining here, because the book really isn't that bad, and I do like both of these authors - but I also really like believable, convincing characters, and stories that really let you understand someone from the inside out.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
From the first time I read about this collaboration, I had to have it. When I did eventually get my hands on it, I wasn't disappointed. I found it somewhat confusing in places, I think, but a good, absorbing read. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
This is a truly amazing urban fantasy. The characters are strongly drawn and intriguing, and while the plot is not new, it's handled well. One of the strongest elements of this book for me was the way the Gypsy/Dove character slipped involuntarily from a magical to a realistic view of his surroundings and then back again. ( )
  Jammies | Mar 31, 2013 |

Steven Brustprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lindholm, Meganmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rakeland,SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stemple, AdamContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tisse un conte comme l'araignée sa toile,
Conduis-moi par la voix et les sens.
Montre-moi les lieux où la beauté se dévoile
Et je te dirai pourquoi ils n'ont rien de réel.

Tellers of Tales
Il portait un vieux chiffon autour du crâne enroulé
Une chemise d'étoffe jaune finement tissée
Des cicatrices au visage, traces d'anciennes blessures
Et une ficelle en guise de ceinture.

The Gypsy
La justice est partout,
Elle a pouvoir sur moi ;
Sur sa nef des fous, bien sûr, on peut faire la loi
Mais personne ne dicte à la mer sa conduite.

Chanty
This book is dedicated to Corwin and Katie, with our blessings.
Doom teka teka teka doom teka tek.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812524985, Mass Market Paperback)

Cigany, a gypsy stalking a modern city with a cloud of magic, and Stepovich, a cop who discovers a series of dead bodies, share a common enemy--the Fair Lady who rules the underworld. Reprint. PW. AB.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:44 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,802,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible