The Hermit of Eyton Forest: The Fourteenth…

The Hermit of Eyton Forest: The Fourteenth Chronicle of Brother Cadfael (original 1987; edition 1989)

by Ellis Peters

Member:loriephillips
Title:The Hermit of Eyton Forest: The Fourteenth Chronicle of Brother Cadfael
Authors:Ellis Peters
Info:Mysterious Press (1989), Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Paperback, British Literature, Historical Fiction, Medieval, Religion, Series, 2012/12

The Hermit of Eyton Forest by Ellis Peters (1987)

Recently added bypapagena, private library, dpakala, agmlll, marsap, Orbasan, geneva62, sue222, Stebahnree

English (15)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (17)
10 year old Richard Ludel, a student entrusted to the abbey's care by his father, has just inherited a large estate upon his father's death. His grandmother, Dame Dionisia, insists that the boy be returned home and marry the “older” heiress to the adjoining property. Two mysterious tenants on Dame Dionisia's land, a devout hermit, Cuthred, and his young aid, Hyacinth, may in league Dionisia, who is unaware that Hyacinth is actually a runaway and that Cuthred's background is unknown. When Richard disappears from the abbey, Dame Dionisia is immediately suspect. Other events follow rapidly: an inquisitive nobleman is murdered in the forest; Hyacinth vanishes; and Cuthred is stabbed to death. Brother Cadfael must bring all his skills to solve the crimes. Though I love this series—this was not one of my favorites. I felt that character I love the most—Cadfael, was hardly part of the narrative—I found that I really wanted to see him work his “magic”—but the ending just seemed rushed. 2 ½ out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | May 20, 2016 |
As usual the Brother Cadfael stores are agreeable, but this one has a historical error --it assumes a marriage was invalid if not performed by a priest. This was not true until the Council of Trent some 400 years later. ( )
  antiquary | Sep 19, 2015 |
[re-read 2013]

Strange how a murder mystery can be comforting! I quite enjoy the mysteries in this volume -- and especially the interactions between Richard and Hiltrude, and between Cadfael and Rafe. Also the growing sense that Cadfael is aware his actions are perhaps not in keeping with his vows, giving a bit of a sense of the overall series arc.
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
Well-crafted mystery and good with the medaevel setting. I didn't figure out many of the twists and turns of the mystery and it felt authentic. A good read and a keeper.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
Six-word review: Surprise! Someone's hiding out in disguise.

Extended review:

Reading a Brother Cadfael mystery reminds me a lot of having lunch at a bookstore cafe: you know what you're getting, it won't be amazing but it's perfectly fine, you won't leave hungry, and anyway you didn't go there for the food.

I wouldn't have said this when I'd read only the first two or three in the series, but this was my fourteenth. Among the things I'm happy to give the author credit for are building a main character with enough dimensions and conflicts to be interesting, recreating a fascinating historical setting, and knowing a good formula when she finds one.

Not that everything is obvious from the beginning: it isn't. There are puzzles, red herrings, subplots, mysterious travelers, false names and false pretenses. And, dependably, there are charming young people whose threatened fortunes are championed by the worldly-wise Benedictine brother.

In this case, we have an orphaned young heir with an overbearing grandmother, a runaway serf suspected of murder, and a revered hermit caught up in a scheme to gain control of valuable lands. Somehow this is all the business of the abbey, and Cadfael is actively engaged once again in the service of truth and justice. Dependable fun, written with style and old-fashioned grace. I didn't come here for astonishment. ( )
  Meredy | Apr 15, 2014 |

Pelitti, ElsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pošustová, StanislavaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was on the eighteenth day of October of that year 1142 that Richard Ludel, hereditary tenant of the manor of Eaton, died of a debilitating weakness, left after wounds received at the battle of Lincoln, in the service of King Stephen.

Während im Jahre 1142 in England ein Bürgerkrieg tobt, ereignen sich in der Benedikterabtei von Shrewsbury beunruhigende Vorfälle. Ein Schüler des Klosters, der ein großes Vermögen erbt, verschwindet spurlos. Ein Mann wird im Wald nahe der Abtei ermordet aufgefunden. Der Verdacht fällt auf den geheimnisvollen Eremiten im Eyton Forest und seinen jungen Begleiter.

The arrival of a hermit in the neighborhood heralds misfortunes for the monks of the Abbey of St. Peter and St. Paul. Brother Cadfael investigates the murder of a recent guest and the disappearance of a young student.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,854,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible