The Pilgrim of Hate (Chronicle of Brother…

The Pilgrim of Hate (Chronicle of Brother Cadfael) (original 1984; edition 1986)

by Ellis Peters

Member:alaskabookworm
Title:The Pilgrim of Hate (Chronicle of Brother Cadfael)
Authors:Ellis Peters
Info:Fawcett (1986), Mass Market Paperback

The Pilgrim of Hate by Ellis Peters (1984)

English (11)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
bookshelves: tbr-busting-2014, series, published-1984, winter-20132014, mystery-thriller, historical-fiction, film-only, britain-england, shropshire, religion, war, medieval5c-16c, medical-eew
Read on January 19, 2014

Description: The fourth anniversary of the transfer of Saint Winifred's bones to the Abbey at Shrewsbury is a time of celebration for the 12th-century pilgrims gathering from far and wide. In distant Winchester, however, a knight has been murdered. Could it be because he was a supporter of the Empress Maud, one of numerous pretenders to the throne? It's up to herbalist, sleuth, and Benedictine monk Brother Cadfael to track down the killer in the pious throng.

Dem bones, Dem bones. Cadfael plays jigsaw to find out some facts.

Have one TV episode left in my storage box and that'll do fine for next week. Now I go back to New York to continue with The Golem and the Jinni.

3* #1 A Morbid Taste for Bones

WL A Bloody Field by Shrewsbury

5* Sunrise in the West
TR The Dragon at Noonday
TR The Hounds at Sunset
TR Afterglow and Nightfall ( )
  mimal | Jan 19, 2014 |
Six-word review: Penance and vengeance provide narrative twists.

Extended review:

While staying with a successful formula involving Brother Cadfael in solving murders and abetting young love against a backdrop of medieval politics and monastic routine, this tenth in the series introduces some fresh relationship dynamics that lend savor to the mystery. ( )
  Meredy | Jan 2, 2014 |
Pilgrim Hater of the Year.
HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
Review of The Pilgrim of Hate: The Tenth Chronicle of Brother Cadfael by Ellis Peters
Published by William Morrow & Co (1985)

I discovered Brother Cadfael by chance when PBS's Mystery ran Britain's ITV adaptations of Ellis Peter's medieval mysteries, starring Derek Jacobi as the eponymous Brother Cadfael. I was so taken with the first series (the one that co-starred the best of the Hugh Beringars, Sean Pertwee), that I began tracking down the books. Some were available at my local library, though over time I also acquired a number of the Warner Books/The Mysterious Press paperback editions for my own, and even tracked down a coveted copy of Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden by Rob Talbot & Robin Whiteman.

But a copy of The Pilgrim of Hate eluded me. And while I had no direct point of reference with which to compare it, I was less than pleased with the tone of the television adaptation of that title. There was a meanness to it, a smallness of character that seemed at odds with what I had read in the rest of the Brother Cadfael books. Oh, not with the beloved Brother Cadfael himself, but the overall tone of the screenplay was very unsatisfying. It seemed painfully skeptical, even a little hostile, toward matters of faith: of self-sacrifice, the hope of redemption, and the belief that miracles are indeed possible. And the reviews that I read online of the film adaptation confirmed that it bore no resemblance to Ellis Peter's novel of the same name, making me even more eager to read the novel for myself.

I finally was able to get a copy of the book via the inter-library loan system and settled in to read it – I confess a part of my eagerness was to read more about Cadfael's son (whose role was also excised from the film adaptation). Olivier didn't make his entrance until about midway into the story, and well before that point I knew just how hideously the screenplay had distorted Ellis Peter's wonderfully complex characters, and their intertwined tales of hatred, vengeance, despair, hope and reclamation.

Along the way my appreciation for Peter's medieval monk/detective, his friend Hugh Beringar, and his beautiful son – beautiful in both his person and his spirit – has been more firmly cemented. The experience has also reinforced my determination not to judge any story by its film adaptation. I am grateful for the TV series in that it inspired me to seek out the books – something too many people seem to think unnecessary (J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings vs Peter Jackson's films is a prime example of that particular mindset – but I digress). I cannot believe that, had the author still been alive when The Pilgrim of Hate was filmed, she would have approved it. And if that adaptation is an indication of the direction the producers would have gone with any subsequent screenplays of the Brother Cadfael mysteries, then I for one am grateful that it was the last one. Much as I admire Derek Jacobi, that particular episode has been removed from my viewing list, especially now that I have read the infinitely superior original. ( )
2 vote Edrys | Dec 1, 2011 |
I have already read this Ellis Peters novel, but so long ago that my memory was very dim, and so I decided to listen to an audio copy.

It is of course one of the Brother Cadfael series, made famous particularly by Derek Jacobi's TV series.
1. A Morbid Taste for Bones (1977)
2. One Corpse Too Many (1979)
3. Monk's Hood (1980)
4. St. Peter's Fair (1981)
5. The Leper of Saint Giles (1981)
6. The Virgin in the Ice (1982)
7. The Sanctuary Sparrow (1982)
8. The Devil's Novice (1983)
9. Dead Man's Ransom (1984)
10. The Pilgrim of Hate (1984)
11. An Excellent Mystery (1985)
12. The Raven in the Foregate (1986)
13. The Rose Rent (1986)
14. The Hermit of Eyton Forest (1987)
15. The Confession of Brother Haluin (1988)
16. The Heretic's Apprentice (1989)
17. The Potter's Field (1989)
18. The Summer of the Danes (1991)
19. The Holy Thief (1992)
20. Brother Cadfael's Penance (1994)

The setting is the Benedictine Abbey at Shrewsbury, on the eve of the installation of the casket with St. Winifred's bones into the Abbey. The political setting is the struggle between King Stephen and the Empress Maud. Will the installation of Saint Winifred's bones be accompanied by a miracle? So far Shrewsbury has not been favoured with a miracle, and certainly there are many who are hoping for her favour.

In the early hours of listening to the novel, I found myself thinking that the series had dated a little. The language is bit more formal than that of more modern writing, but then I found that as the story developed, that didn't really matter. It helps if you know a bit of the political background when you are reading the novel, and that may have been what frustrated me at the beginning - I was struggling to resurrect my history, couldn't quite remember who was vying for what. And then this is #10 in the Cadfael series, and things have been revealed about his earlier life that it helps to know about.

But if you like historical mysteries, then this is a series you will enjoy. It is not for nothing that the CWA awards for historical mystery is dedicated to Ellis Peters. And she had such a great love of this period in English history and this particular part of England. So get to a library and borrow the series, starting at the beginning. Or check out the CWA page for other historical mystery reading. ( )
  smik | Aug 20, 2010 |

Ellis Petersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fredriksson, Karl G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fredriksson, LilianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They were together in Brother Cadfael's hut in the herbarium, in the afternoon of the twenty-fifth day of May, and the talk was of high matters of state, of kings and empresses, and the unbalanced fortunes that plagued the irreconcilable contenders for thrones.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446405310, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:54 -0400)

Pilgrims are gathering from far and wide to celebrate the fourth anniversary of the translation of Saint Winifred's bones. In Winchester, a knight is murdered - not apparently an event of importance. But Brother Cadfael is puzzled.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible