The Raven In The Foregate by ELLIS PETERS

The Raven In The Foregate (original 1986; edition 1987)

by ELLIS PETERS

Member:loriephillips
Title:The Raven In The Foregate
Authors:ELLIS PETERS
Info:Futura (1987), Edition: First Thus, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Medieval, Series, British Literature, Historical Fiction, Religion, 2012/12

The Raven in the Foregate by Ellis Peters (1986)

Recently added bydeborah.e.kaye, Lyttlefold, drcmg, private library, karo01, kathytapia

English (10)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (13)
Six-word review: Unlamented sudden death exposes many secrets.

Extended review:

Brother Cadfael's twelfth outing as a medieval sleuth in monastic robes combines familiar elements: mysterious death, misplaced suspicion, disguised aristocrats, young love, and natural justice played out against a vast political field and a very small Benedictine one. Plot predictability, almost inevitable within such a narrow setting featuring a distinctive, knowable character, is its virtue as well as its shortcoming; the writing is, as ever, deft and elegant.

I continue to enjoy this series, but I think it would also do to let a little more time elapse between episodes to offset a cloying sameness. Just what I needed at this juncture, however. ( )
  Meredy | Feb 22, 2014 |
the fourth in the "Brother Cadfel" mysteries. This is a taut and competent who-dunnit, an evening's entertainment. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Oct 25, 2013 |
Meh. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
In this 12th Chronicle of Brother Cadfael, Ellis Peters once more explores the fine line dividing justice and mercy. She often finds the line blurred but more often than not will shy away from legalism in favor of grace.

We find the rigid legalistic viewpoint embodied in Father Ailnoth, newly appointed priest to the church of the Foregate parish. Dismayed parishioners used to the merciful ways of the late Father Adam are among the many under suspicion when the "black" priest is found drowned Christmas morning.

Brother Cadfael, herbalist and amateur sleuth at the Abbey of Saint Peter and Saint Paul in Shrewsbury, England is summoned to apply his shrewd powers of crime detection made difficult by a close-mouthed populace.

At the conclusion of the case there are decisions to be weighed in the scales of justice and grace. Abbot Radulfus eloquently sums up the attitudes of the bearers of grace to a crowd still smarting from the injustices of Father Ailnoth warning them about thinking too highly of oneself and about judging others. "The company of the saints is not to be determined by any measure within our understanding. It cannot be made up of those without sin, for who that ever wore flesh, except one, can make so high a claim? But we, all we who share the burden of sin, it behoves us not to question or fret concerning the measure dealt out to us, or try to calculate our own merit and deserving, for we have not the tools by which to measure values concerning the soul. That is God's business. Rather it behoves us to live every day as though it were our last, to the full of such truth and kindness as is within us, and to lie down every night as though the next day were to be our first, and a new and pure beginning. The day will come when all will be made plain." ( )
  seoulful | May 20, 2010 |
One of the more genuinely suspenseful of the late Cadfael oeuvre. ( )
1 vote MuseofIre | Jul 10, 2009 |

Pošustová-Menš… StanislavaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Son, Sŏng-gyŏngTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Abbot Radulfus came to chapter, on this first day of December, with a preoccupied and frowning face, and made short work of the various trivialities brought up by his obedientiaries.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446405345, Mass Market Paperback)

It is Christmas, A.D. 1141, Abbot Radulfus returns from London, bringing with him a priest for the vacant living of Holy Cross, also known as the Foregate. The new priest is a man of presence, learning, and discipline, but he lacks humility and the common touch. When he is found drowned in the millpond, suspicion is cast upon a young man who arrived with the priest's train and was sent to work in Brother Cadfael's garden. Indeed, he is soon discovered to be an impostor. To Brother Cadfael, now falls the familiar task of sorting out the complicated strands of innocence and guilt.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:09 -0400)

When a priest is found drowned in the mill-pond, suspicion is cast upon a young man who came with the priest from London. Brother Cadfael is left with the familiar task of sorting the complicated strands which define guilt and innocence.

Eight editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,120,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible