The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F.…

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (1922)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

1,193666,721 (3.32)111

English (60)  Spanish (4)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (66)
A quick listen (as an audio book) of a curious case. Suspend your disbelief and just enjoy! ( )
  AriadneAranea | Jan 13, 2018 |
I’ve seen the movie (twice), and I’ve been looking forward to reading the short story that the movie is based for a while now. The movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button has very little in common with the book. The name is the same, and the core is the same, Benjamin Button is born old and as he grows older he grows younger both in the book and the movie. But in the book, he is raised by his father and not abandon at birth. And all the rest of the book differs also from the movie.

I liked the story, first I couldn’t help at first to compare the story with the movie and feel that the story was lacking everything the movie had, but soon I was sucked into the story and I’m glad it was different since it's more fun reading something that not exactly like the movie.

It’s a bittersweet story and in a way, a cruel story since Benjamin during all his life is met with contempt and misunderstanding. The story is set during the latter half of the 19th century but it could as well be taking place now a day since being different is something that is always going to be met with ignorance. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
I wasn't going to read this because I really, really hated the movie. But, when I found out that the book was nothing like the movie I decided to pick it up.
I'm glad I did. It was an interesting little read. It was fun to see the stereotypical male human life in reverse.
My only complaint is- what the heck? Where are the women in this book? The dad goes to pick up his son from the hospital- and it's a full grown man. I would hope that one of the first thoughts in aa/ head would be "is there a chance at all that my wife survived this?"
Nah. He didn't even need a wife. You know- you just show up at the hospital and they have a baby (or 65 year old man) waiting for you.
? Wah?
Ps, it's late and I fell asleep at the touchscreen at least twice while writing this review. Sorry if it stinks. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
I happened across this story and thought it sounded interesting. It's about a man who ages backwards -- he looks like an old man when he is born, and slowly ages back to a baby. Not too long ago I read a novel with a similar premise titled "The Confessions of Max Tivoli". I enjoyed that novel a lot, and enjoyed the story being fleshed out a bit more than it was here. But for a short story (or novella), this was enjoyable and gave you something to think about. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
How did a lady birth a full grown man?

Weird

It's a pretty depressing story. I feel bad for him. He just needs a hug.

I like the illustrations. It was hard sometimes to tell how old he was supposed to be. But that's okay. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |

F. Scott Fitzgeraldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, CalefIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As long ago as 1860 it was the proper thing to be born at home.
This is the entry for the single story. Please don't combine with any collections or adaptions!
Also, do not combine with the graphic novel, which contains an adapted text by Nunzio DeFilippis & Christina Weir.

In his short story The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, F. Scott Fitzgerald provides a humorous and touching journey that reveals what it's like to be born old and age in reverse.

With art by Calef Brown, this collector's edition presents this classic story in illustrated form for the first time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:42 -0400)

In 1860 Benjamin Button is born an old man and mysteriously begins aging backward. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," a witty and fantastical satire about aging, is one of Fitzgerald's most memorable stories.

Legacy Library: F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's legacy profile.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,664,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible