The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F.…

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (1922)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

English (55)  Spanish (4)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (61)
I've not seen the movie, but of course I knew the premise going in. I hope the movie executes the concept better than this clunker did. Lots of great ideas - but anyone who just ponders the idea of aging backwards will come up with those ideas on their own. Fitzgerald added nothing.

Ok, I admit - he added something that strongly resembles misogyny. Apparently Benjamin's mother had no influence on his up-bringing, and his wife was worthless past the age of forty. So, either FSF didn't think women's roles were worth working out in the story, or he didn't think women are worth much, period. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This quick read involved a very interesting premise; F. Scott Fitzgerald's imagination (definitely) shifted into overtime as the story line evolved! I enjoyed the quick read and very much enjoyed author Fitzgerald's ability to paint pictures with his words. The author-inspired ability to visualize the story line's progression (or regression!) made reading The Curious Case of Benjamin Button a unique experience. There's a movie version of this book; I plan to seek it out! 3.5 stars - rounded up for originality! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Having seen the movie I guess I was expecting a longer book this is more of a sketch of an idea than a novella. It wasn't a bad little read but the 30 odd pages only took me about 20 minutes and I can't say that in those 30 pages I gained any emotional investment what so ever. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
Fairly short but a bit interesting. i would have liked some more details ( )
  LaBla | Feb 6, 2016 |
Maybe my mistake with this short story is having seen the movie first. The movie was decent and while I felt it was implausible, there was still believability to the story and a worthwhile romance. I sympathized with the main character. The short story on the other hand, seemed completely absurd and Benjamin wasn't even likeable. He was actually annoying. I appreciate the creativeness of the story; it truly was imaginative, but overall I was let down. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

F. Scott Fitzgeraldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, CalefIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As long ago as 1860 it was the proper thing to be born at home.
This is the entry for the single story. Please don't combine with any collections or adaptions!
Also, do not combine with the graphic novel, which contains an adapted text by Nunzio DeFilippis & Christina Weir.

In his short story The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, F. Scott Fitzgerald provides a humorous and touching journey that reveals what it's like to be born old and age in reverse.

With art by Calef Brown, this collector's edition presents this classic story in illustrated form for the first time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:42 -0400)

In 1860 Benjamin Button is born an old man and mysteriously begins aging backward. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," a witty and fantastical satire about aging, is one of Fitzgerald's most memorable stories.

Legacy Library: F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's legacy profile.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,437,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible