Smile by Raina Telgemeier
    Drama by Raina Telgemeier (kaledrina)
    Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Peanut by Ayun Halliday (kaledrina)

Smile is a memoir graphic novel that centers around Telgemeier's traumatic orthodontic experience. Although this book has been making the popularity rounds on YouTube and in other YA circles, it didn't really appeal to me until a booktuber I follow, who isn't a reader of YA books, mentioned a few things that piqued my interest. Coupled with the fact that I myself have been experiencing a dental nightmare since November, I figured I was primed to appreciate this book.

First things first, you don't really need to know too much about the plot, because it really will ruin it for you. Trust me. Here are a few things that may motivate you to give this book a second glance. (1) Don't be fooled by the bright red "Scholastic" imprint on the cover. This is book that will appeal to people of all ages. In fact, it's kinda like Shrek. Anyone can appreciate it, but if you're over 21 and enjoy snarky humor, then you will love it doubly! That kind of leads to the next point. (2) If you are part of Generation Y or an aficionado of the 80s and early 90s, then you will so appreciate the trip down memory lane. The attention to fashion, technology, and pop culture was so awesome! (3) It's set in San Francisco. Hello, dream place to live. Need I say more? The good news is that Telgemeier is working on a followup to this memoir series entitled Sisters. So looking forward to it! ( )
  dreamydress48 | Dec 10, 2014 |
This graphic novel deals with many issues that older kids can relate to--braces, relationship trouble, struggling to fit in, etc. A lot of coming-of-age books have been written but I really do think this one is important because it's very relatable. It's also in the form of a comic, which makes for a more interesting read than a typical chapter book. 3-8 grade.
  sbutler9 | Dec 3, 2014 |
Raina’s teen trauma begins one dark night after the Girl Scout meeting. She trips, falls then stands up blood pouring out of her mouth with her two front teeth gone! It will be four-and-a-half years from sixth grade right into high school until she’s done with pediatric dentists, orthodontists, endodontists—who knew there were so many kinds of dentists—and meanwhile there’s school, friends, boys, annoying sisters, and, living in San Francisco, earthquakes to deal with. So who needs retainers with false teeth, headgear, and root canals to deal with at the same time?

Telgemeier’s ability to capture emotion and expression with her words and art is sharp and picture perfect in this coming of age memoir. Smile won the Eisner Award for Best Publication for Teens in 2011. ( )
  MaowangVater | Oct 18, 2014 |
This semi-autobiographical graphic novel was cute in a childish way. I loved that it centered around teeth, orthodontia, etc. and a time in a child's life where they are already feeling insecure. I can see why this would be a popular book for tweens who are dealing with body changes, hormones, braces, bullying, and crushes. The illustrations are cute, and cartoonish. Great graphic novel for the tween audience.
  recipe_addict | Sep 21, 2014 |
Great graphic novel about the author's trials with orthodontia, other dental work, friends and more. It captures the difficulty of growing up, fitting in, and standing out. ( )
  ChristianR | Sep 11, 2014 |
“Smile!!”

From sixth grade through tenth, Raina copes with a variety of dental problems that affect her appearance and how she feels about herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,369,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible