Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Smile

by Raina Telgemeier

Other authors: Phil Falco (Designer), John Green (Designer), Cassandra Pelham (Editor), Stephanie Yue (Illustrator)

Series: Smile (1)

Drama by Raina Telgemeier (kaledrina)
    Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson (cransell)
    Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    Peanut by Ayun Halliday (kaledrina)

English (217)  Spanish (2)  All languages (219)
A graphic novel memoir that describes life in the early 90's as a sixth-through-tenth-grade girl with braces and mean friends and crushes and obnoxious siblings and braces and, well, more braces. I felt like I was reading an account of my own life as an early mouth-full-of-braces teen in the early 90's, cringeworthy in all the right places and hopeful and funny in all the right other places. Fun and funny and thoughtful and true. I loved it. ( )
  scaifea | May 12, 2019 |
This book is a little different than most books I review because it is a graphic memoir. The author recants her struggles through middle school while following her experiences with braces. Raina is just a normal sixth grader until an accidental fall severely injures her two front teeth and, for the next few years, she is forced to endure everything from braces to a retainer with two fake front teeth…while also dealing with all the other normal issues of middle school!

What I liked: the author does an amazing job of showing the trials and tribulations of trudging through middle school: awkwardness, self-consciousness, friends (who turn out to be toxic), family relationships, and secret crushes. The illustrations are fun and engaging, and the woven storyline of her orthodontia experience is humorous and relatable.

What I didn’t like: a few parts of the story seemed a little slow, but as it is a memoir, that’s quite excusable.

I would highly recommend this for any kid about to get braces, or even for any kid about to enter middle school. ( )
  AlbaArango | Apr 9, 2019 |
A great story of the ups and downs of Raina's early life, and a solid reminder to love yourself as you are. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Mar 28, 2019 |
Good story about growing up with a brace face in middle into high school. Life tales like this always seem to help with life. period. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
I enjoyed this book for a multiple of reasons. This book was a quick read that kept me wanting more. This graphic novel is a personal memoir to the author’s child hood. This book had tremendous illustrations and visuals that allowed you to see what Raina was thinking and feeling. I also enjoyed this books use of vivid language. This book puts you straight in the 1990’s. Using slang, and appearance, it allows you to go through middle and high school with the characters. Raina, the main character damages her front two teeth in the opening chapter. As she grows and enters middle and high school, she goes through a cycle of braces, surgery’s, puberty, head gear and fake teeth! Not only is Raina’s physical appearance frustrating but she has the trouble of finding out who her true friends are. This book puts any reader back into their thirteen-year-old self. This graphic novel has a great theme that reminds us to stay true to ourselves. It is not always what we look like that matters but what we have on the inside that counts. ( )
  Swin1 | Mar 5, 2019 |

Raina Telgemeierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, JohnDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pelham, CassandraEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yue, StephanieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
“Smile!!”

From sixth grade through tenth, Raina copes with a variety of dental problems that affect her appearance and how she feels about herself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,480,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible