Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Smile

by Raina Telgemeier

Other authors: Phil Falco (Designer), John Green (Designer), Cassandra Pelham (Editor), Stephanie Yue (Illustrator)

Series: Smile (1)

1,9321963,536 (4.21)60
    Drama by Raina Telgemeier (kaledrina)
    Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson (cransell)
    Peanut by Ayun Halliday (kaledrina)

English (193)  Spanish (2)  All (195)
Smile is a fun graphic novel that follows a young girl in early adolescence, it explores the drama and embarrassments of adolescence.This book shows that it's okay to make mistakes and that ultimately we all get embarrassed from time to time and that it's really okay. ( )
  jwendy | Nov 29, 2017 |
This is a great read for middle school students. I would allow my daughters to read this book as they get older as I feel it would be good for them to understand all the struggles of middle school and how they will go through a range of emotions as their bodies, friendships, and relationships change. While I haven't taught middle school, I would recommend this to upper elementary students too before they head off into middle school.
  jschuttenhelm | Nov 17, 2017 |
I enjoyed reading this book because it made me look back on my days in junior high and realize that is exactly how my life was. I would recommend this book for junior high students, especially for the ones that feel alone and no body is there to support them. This book is about a girl in the sixth grade that recently tripped and fell. In the process of her falling, she broke two of her teeth. With that she ended up having to have multiple surgeries, braces that were on and off for a long time and even head gear. That adds a lot of trace for a preteen. Mixed in with that all, a earthquake has struck, she is going through a confusing time about relationships, and to make matters worse some of her friends are not really the friends she thought they were. This is something that most preteens go through and feel at least once in their life. This book with helping them find out who they are and where they need to be going in life. Overall, this is a great read! ( )
  Karleyk14 | Nov 14, 2017 |
In this story there is a middle school girl who is in 6th grade She ends up loosing her two front teeth after falling and busting her face. This is a graphic novel that is inspirational to young girls Raina, the young girl has to go through 4 long years of dentist appointments, braces and even surgery. In this story she is also going through puberty and is awkward with pimples. She has to go to a brand new school and make friends while going through all of her troubles. This book shows young girls that everyone goes through things especially while they are in middle school. I know when I was in middle school, I had crooked teeth and Caterpillar eye brows. In this story it shows any young adult to not worry about your appearance because the only thing that really matter is how you are on the inside. This book was short, but the message in it is truly inspirational. If I was a middle school teacher or a higher elementary school teacher, I would definitely read this to my students. ( )
  Kaitlin_villoutreix | Nov 14, 2017 |
This book is about the pain and struggles of a middle-schooled. The book is a great read because it can be related to what someone may be going through and just needs that extra support. ( )
  Jannette_M | Nov 2, 2017 |

Raina Telgemeierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, JohnDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pelham, CassandraEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yue, StephanieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
“Smile!!”

From sixth grade through tenth, Raina copes with a variety of dental problems that affect her appearance and how she feels about herself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,748,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible