Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Smile

by Raina Telgemeier

Other authors: Phil Falco (Designer), John Green (Designer), Cassandra Pelham (Editor), Stephanie Yue (Illustrator)

Drama by Raina Telgemeier (kaledrina)
    Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Peanut by Ayun Halliday (kaledrina)

This was my first graphic novel, and I loved it! This was so fun to read, I flew through it. I would say I really enjoyed it mostly because I went through the same retainer/headset/braces timeline as her and could definitely relate. Makes me wish I had this book when I was in 8th grade! ( )
  taleofnight | May 17, 2015 |
Smile was adorable. It captured the essence of middle school awkwardness and worries so perfectly, and I can see why it's so popular. ( )
  photonegative | Apr 14, 2015 |
This was forced on me by Miss Boo, who picked it up at the school library yesterday and read it several times in one day. It's a great little autobiographical story about the author losing her two front teeth as a young girl (tripped while running with friends) and the subsequent long term dental treatments while having to deal with everyday life: school, boys, frenemies, and an earthquake. I'm really glad that Miss Boo enjoyed it as much as she did, I think she's the perfect age for this story with its themes of self-acceptance and growing up. ( )
  wookiebender | Apr 3, 2015 |
After falling and losing her two front teeth, Raina goes through some hard times. Despite her struggles she is able to find her way and be her true self.

AR level: 2.6 MG
Lexile: 410 ( )
  liblb | Dec 25, 2014 |
Smile is a memoir graphic novel that centers around Telgemeier's traumatic orthodontic experience. Although this book has been making the popularity rounds on YouTube and in other YA circles, it didn't really appeal to me until a booktuber I follow, who isn't a reader of YA books, mentioned a few things that piqued my interest. Coupled with the fact that I myself have been experiencing a dental nightmare since November, I figured I was primed to appreciate this book.

First things first, you don't really need to know too much about the plot, because it really will ruin it for you. Trust me. Here are a few things that may motivate you to give this book a second glance. (1) Don't be fooled by the bright red "Scholastic" imprint on the cover. This is book that will appeal to people of all ages. In fact, it's kinda like Shrek. Anyone can appreciate it, but if you're over 21 and enjoy snarky humor, then you will love it doubly! That kind of leads to the next point. (2) If you are part of Generation Y or an aficionado of the 80s and early 90s, then you will so appreciate the trip down memory lane. The attention to fashion, technology, and pop culture was so awesome! (3) It's set in San Francisco. Hello, dream place to live. Need I say more? The good news is that Telgemeier is working on a followup to this memoir series entitled Sisters. So looking forward to it! ( )
  dreamydress48 | Dec 10, 2014 |

Raina Telgemeierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, JohnDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pelham, CassandraEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yue, StephanieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
“Smile!!”

From sixth grade through tenth, Raina copes with a variety of dental problems that affect her appearance and how she feels about herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,146,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible