Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Member:English_Teacher
Title:Smile
Authors:Raina Telgemeier
Info:GRAPHIX (2010), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:Graphic Novels, Realistic Fiction, Middle School, Autobiography, Comics, Female Protagonist, Braces, Awkward Teens

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    Drama by Raina Telgemeier (kaledrina)
    Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson (cransell)
    Peanut by Ayun Halliday (kaledrina)

English (159)  Spanish (1)  All languages (160)
My biggest problem with graphic novels is that they typically can't go as deep as a book with common prose. While that was still the case with this book, it covered many years in the life of the main character, which was a really cool way to get to know her. Rather than really getting to know a character at one moment in this girl's story, you get to know her through the major events in her life that shape who she is. This is also an autobiographical work, so this could lead to fun activities for students to do. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Jul 18, 2016 |
Smile is about a girl named Raina Telgemeier. She has one sister named Amara. Raina also has a younger brother named Will. Raina is about to start seventh grade. She is getting braces soon. At her friends house, Raina trips and loses her two front teeth. Some of Raina's friends start to bully her because of her teeth.

Raina starts seventh grade. She meets a sixth grader in music class and she really likes him. Raina's friends start bullying her more often. One day, she meets another boy, who she really likes. One day, as Raina is standing in line, her friends pull a really mean prank on her. They run up and pull down her pants during school. Raina makes the right choice and leaves her old friends and gets new better friends. ( )
  dannya.b4 | May 31, 2016 |
Smile is about a girl who lost her front adult teeth. She had to get a plaster seal to help them go back. When they took it off her front teeth were higher up than the others. Raina had to get braces, after that she got a retainer with false teeth, but it all turned out well in the end with almost-normal teeth and new friends. I can totally relate to Raina, a little scared to get braces but happy that my teeth would look straight. I can relate to her too because I also have younger siblings, they are annoying at times but mainly fun. ( )
  MadelynM14 | May 23, 2016 |
Raina Telgemeier's storyline, and illustrations, hit the nail on the head insofar as middle school goes!! I imagine that most of us can vividly recall a variety of "less-than-stellar" junior high moments that still have the power to make our skin crawl! Smile highlights the unforgettable "metalmouth" years to perfection. Well-written, perfectly illustrated and filled to overflowing with "easy-to-identify-with" anecdotes made this a quick read and one that prompted more than one "walk down memory lane" for this ol' grandma! It also brought to mind my seventh-grade homeroom teacher, Bertha Ireland (Lampson Intermediate School, Garden Grove, California - 1961) . . one of the kindest, sweetest, most encouraging women/teachers ever! She single-handedly made junior high bearable for so many of us! Highly recommended! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Summary:
Smile is a book about a little girl who is playing and gets her two front teeth knocked up by hitting the concrete. The little girl has to go to the dentist multiple times for work to be done on her teeth and she even has to get braces. She deals with many people bullying her. Though in the end when she finally gets her teeth all the way fixed she just smiles in confidence and looks back on everything with a smile.

Personal Reaction:
I really liked this book because I feel like it is something that a lot of children may have to go through a situation like this at some point in their life. When I was in fifth grade I was on crutches and had to wear horrendous looking leg braces and I got made fun of all the time. Though now that I look back on it I just smile because it made me tough and part of who I am today.

Classroom Extensions:

1. The teacher can have the students point out all the times the little girl was getting bullied and then ask them how they thought she felt and do a lesson on how bullying is not nice.

2. The teacher can have tooth brushes and tooth paste and the class can brush their teeth and explain to the children that they want to have pretty teeth like the character in the book did when the dentist was done with her teeth.
  kimberlywatts94 | Apr 21, 2016 |

Raina Telgemeierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, JohnDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pelham, CassandraEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yue, StephanieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
“Smile!!”

From sixth grade through tenth, Raina copes with a variety of dental problems that affect her appearance and how she feels about herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,524,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible