Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Member:English_Teacher
Title:Smile
Authors:Raina Telgemeier
Info:GRAPHIX (2010), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:Graphic Novels, Realistic Fiction, Middle School, Autobiography, Comics, Female Protagonist, Braces, Awkward Teens

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    Drama by Raina Telgemeier (kaledrina)
    Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson (cransell)
    Peanut by Ayun Halliday (kaledrina)

Summary:
Smile is a book about a little girl who is playing and gets her two front teeth knocked up by hitting the concrete. The little girl has to go to the dentist multiple times for work to be done on her teeth and she even has to get braces. She deals with many people bullying her. Though in the end when she finally gets her teeth all the way fixed she just smiles in confidence and looks back on everything with a smile.

Personal Reaction:
I really liked this book because I feel like it is something that a lot of children may have to go through a situation like this at some point in their life. When I was in fifth grade I was on crutches and had to wear horrendous looking leg braces and I got made fun of all the time. Though now that I look back on it I just smile because it made me tough and part of who I am today.

Classroom Extensions:

1. The teacher can have the students point out all the times the little girl was getting bullied and then ask them how they thought she felt and do a lesson on how bullying is not nice.

2. The teacher can have tooth brushes and tooth paste and the class can brush their teeth and explain to the children that they want to have pretty teeth like the character in the book did when the dentist was done with her teeth.
  kimberlywatts94 | Apr 21, 2016 |
This is a timely and relatable story for many middle school students I'm sure. As I was reading it I wasn't drawn into the way the way I was Sunny Side Up but I know it's the most popular graphic novel at our middle school and I think it's an important book to have on the shelf. The illustrations mesh seamlessly with the story and the fact that it is autobiographical makes it that much more realistic. The agony of middle school is real is this book but so is the portrayal of figuring out that friends may not always be that friendly and sometimes you have to accept yourself and move on for others to treat you with respect. It doesn't have an "oh so happy ending" but it's a realistic.

Curricular connection - I think it would be great to include this in a girls graphic novels reading/creating club in the library. ( )
  ECrowwwley | Feb 28, 2016 |
Raina 12 year old girl with a normal life until in a running accident she broke her front teeth. Her friends make fun of her and she has to sit through painful teeth surgery everyday. when almost everything Settled into a normal life she has to go to high school were she is teased even more from her teeth eventually she rejects the friends that tease her and meets new friends that care about her and don't judge her by her appearance. In the end Raina will only try to do what makes her happy and not on the judgement from others. PS she gets her teeth fixed in the end.

The book was based on the author herself when she broke her teeth and thought "It could've been worse." She started writing down what she thought and then it became a story. I liked this story because the plot is really simple but goes so much deeper into detail. The story is also relatable to young viewers going through changes like braces and such.
the only thing I didn't like was it seemed the entire world was against her. Even the dentist. In conclusion i think this book was Comedic and realatable . ( )
  JackiF.B4 | Feb 25, 2016 |
Raina just wants to be a normal sixth grader.But one night after her Girl Scots she trips and falls, severally injuring her two front teeth.what follows a long and frustrating journey with on again off again braces, also headgear and even retainer with fake teeth attached!Also theres much more to deal with like a huge earthquake ahed. even though she finds a way to break in and smile!
  AnikaU13 | Feb 23, 2016 |
I loved this book! I can see why so many of my 4th and 5th graders are reading it. It is relate-able, funny, and shows that it's okay if you are different. Could be used to tie in with health, dental care, and body image issues, etc.. ( )
  KatBarbie | Feb 22, 2016 |

Raina Telgemeierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, JohnDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pelham, CassandraEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yue, StephanieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
“Smile!!”

From sixth grade through tenth, Raina copes with a variety of dental problems that affect her appearance and how she feels about herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible