Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Info:GRAPHIX (2010), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:reading
Rating:**

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    Drama by Raina Telgemeier (kaledrina)
    Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson (cransell)
    Peanut by Ayun Halliday (kaledrina)

I wish my junior high/high school experience had wrapped up so neatly! Really, though, I can see why this is so popular with the teens here (I actually got this from a different library, because our copies are always on hold). Telgemeier remembers her youth very well.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
This is one of my daughters favorite books and she was excited for me to read it. It gives a realistic account of what can happen to a girl as she transitions from adolescence to the teenage years. This would be a great book to recommend to any young girl as it delivers an important message about being true to yourself and not to be afraid to be an individual.
  KristenNevala | Feb 6, 2016 |
A joy of a comic to read and it reminded me of my own adventures in orthodontics. In the time-honored teen tradition, Raina is scheduled to get braces to correct an overbite. However, a fall knocks out her two front teeth, complicating the process. A series of visits to the dentist, the endodontist, orthodontist and periodontist over four years finally gets her smile back on track. (As Raina cracks: "I didn't even know there were this many kinds of 'dontists.'") Of course, being a teenager, she also endures the highs and lows of high school, friends, crushes and self-consciousness. "But the more I focused on my interests, the more it brought out things I liked about myself." ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
After being told by many elementary school students to read this book, I finally did it. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was! I did not enjoy all of the dental details but did enjoy reading about the author's life as a middle school student and surviving her accident. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
The author relates her own dental drama in this graphic novel. She was 12 when she fell and knocked out her 2 front teeth. For the next 4 years, she lived through surgery, braces, false teeth and headgear. At the same time, she was dealing with typical teen drama -- friends, mean girls and boys. Will Raina ever feel “normal” again and will she ever find a reason to smile? ( )
  MrsBarbarino | Jan 24, 2016 |

Raina Telgemeierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, JohnDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pelham, CassandraEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yue, StephanieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
“Smile!!”

From sixth grade through tenth, Raina copes with a variety of dental problems that affect her appearance and how she feels about herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,195,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible