Smile by Raina Telgemeier

1,2061206,637 (4.18)34
Authors:Raina Telgemeier
Info:GRAPHIX (2010), Paperback, 224 pages

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Drama by Raina Telgemeier (kaledrina)
    Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Peanut by Ayun Halliday (kaledrina)

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes funny stories that have some sad real life adventures in them. Raina has to overcome an accident and this changes her relationship with her friends and family. This story is based on a real life situation of the author. I would recommend this to any of my friends. ( )
  RoseM30 | Oct 5, 2015 |
Even thinking about this wonderful graphic novel makes me smile. There was something about it that just brings a great amount of warmth to me. I'm not sure if this comic would be more middle grade than young adult, but I’m going to review it anyways!
Smile is about the teenage experience. It's difficult, stressful and definatly messy. Raina just has a slightly worse experience than the rest of us. She gets her two front teeth knocked out! Can you imagine the pain, the looks from others, and the struggle of having that kind of injury smack in the middle of your face? I sure can't. Raina shows a lot of strength as she gets through her terrible orthodontic experience of getting new front teeth.
Strength was exactly what I needed when I was given this book by the Child Life Specialists at the hospital my second night out of eight. I was in for some terrible stomach pain. I really sympathized with Raina and her pain. During my stressful situation in the hospital, it was hard to read novels, so this comic was perfect.
The art is fantastic. It's easy to follow and brightly colored. It's easy to tell characters apart. If you're someone who thinks comic books are lame, I highly suggest picking up this graphic novel! I can't wait to pick up more from Raina Telgemeier.
Another great aspect of this book is its memoir qualities. Smile is based on the real life stories of Raina and you can really tell through the fantastic writing. The nice storyline lingers with you far past the ending. I am hoping to re-read Smile soon, because at the hospital I may have been more than a little out of it.
This books is 100% recommended! Pick it up for your kid, or for yourself. I think this is a great book for middle graders, because in middle school, kids can develop a hatred of reading because it's 'not cool'. I even went through it! Smile is one of those books that can blossom a beautiful love for reading. Graphic novels are so unique-no art, style or flow is exactly the same. So take a few hours and fly through this great memoir or Raina Telgemeier.

This review was originally posted on Goodreads.com
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1385884033?book_show_action=false ( )
  MyBookishThoughts | Sep 20, 2015 |
"Smile"is a truthful but interesting story , because it is funny and loving and funky.It is about a young girl named Raina. Growing up with losing her 2 front teeth.She has a younger sister that she really wanted , but once it happened she did not want it to have happened.I would recommend this book to other 4th graders that like drama and violence. ( )
  RenateM5 | Sep 19, 2015 |
This is a funny story about the dental drama that happens after a trip-and-fall mishap.

Raina is a sixth grader that wants a normal life. Then she trips and falls after a girl scout meeting severely injuring her two front teeth. After that she deals with braces, headgear, surgery and a retainer.
  foleysh | Jul 28, 2015 |
Graphic Novels, Contemporary Realistic Fiction
  Jubilee22 | Jul 27, 2015 |

Raina Telgemeierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, JohnDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pelham, CassandraEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yue, StephanieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

From sixth grade through tenth, Raina copes with a variety of dental problems that affect her appearance and how she feels about herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,784,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible