Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Series: Smile (1)

Authors:Raina Telgemeier
Info:GRAPHIX (2010), Paperback, 224 pages

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    Drama by Raina Telgemeier (kaledrina)
    Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson (cransell)
    Peanut by Ayun Halliday (kaledrina)

English (165)  Spanish (2)  All languages (167)
Raina just wants to be a normal sixth grader.She trips and falls after Girl Scouts and injures her two front teeth. Lots of adventure happens following braces, embarrassment, and boy confusion.
  Jennifer LeGault | Oct 17, 2016 |
Smile is a great book that I myself remember reading with my mom as I was preparing to leave elementary school and go onto middle school. I would recommend this book for children who are about to go into middle school or are already in middle school. ( )
  Madima6781 | Oct 16, 2016 |
I would recommend this book for children who are about to go into middle school or are already in middle school. It is a hilarious book about a girl having to deal with the daily drama of middle school and having to learn to love herself the way she is. It is written as if it is a comic strip throughout the book which makes it all the more funny.
  TaylorMcMillan | Oct 2, 2016 |
Raina is a typical pre-teen worried about things like fitting in with her friends, getting her ears pierced, attending a school dance, etc. She's also dealing with the aftermath of a fall that knocked out her front two teeth, thus requiring many, many trips to various dental experts to fix.

This is a compelling memoir set in San Francisco during the late 80s/early 90s and told in a comic book format. Telgemeier's cartoon-style illustrations are a good fit for the audience of middle school girls (and boys, I would argue). Her candor is refreshing, and I'm sure appreciated by the intended audience, who could relate to boy crushes, fake friends, and finding one's true self. (On that last point, I was glad to see Telgemeier spell out that being herself with new friends was super beneficial to her well-being, but she also doesn't beat kids over the head with a moral lesson.) The story of Telgemeier's numerous woes with braces and other dental work may be a tad scary for kids who haven't yet worn braces, but it could also be useful for kids who are currently wearing braces as an identifiable anecdote.

In short, even though I wasn't the target audience for this graphic novel, I still found it a quick and enjoyable read. I'd recommend it for tween girls and boys who are looking for realistic books to read. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Aug 31, 2016 |
This would be excellent for teenagers who want to be understood. It would spark an interest in any young woman who's been through awkward experiences and we all have!
  knoelle27 | Aug 12, 2016 |

Raina Telgemeierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, JohnDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pelham, CassandraEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yue, StephanieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

From sixth grade through tenth, Raina copes with a variety of dental problems that affect her appearance and how she feels about herself.

79 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,743,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible