Smile by Raina Telgemeier
Info:GRAPHIX (2010), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:checked out

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    Drama by Raina Telgemeier (kaledrina)
    Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson (cransell)
    Peanut by Ayun Halliday (kaledrina)

I related so much to the events in this book. Graphic novels are now my favorite to read because they are so detailed.
  madisenowen | Feb 12, 2016 |
Adolescent angst is a fantastic topic for YA books and Smile is wonderful at expressing the emotions of a six grade girl. I greatly enjoyed reading about Raina a 6th grade girl that just wants to be a normal kid, but because of an accident she loses her front teeth. In addition, Raina must deal with boy confusion, and friends who turn out to be not so friendly. A universal experience that children from all cultures can relate with the overcoming awkwardness and embarrassment is an important curriculum topic. Students could make their own comic style story about an embarrassing moment and how they overcame it as part get to know you activity.
  Adam_sundstrom | Feb 11, 2016 |
I wish my junior high/high school experience had wrapped up so neatly! Really, though, I can see why this is so popular with the teens here (I actually got this from a different library, because our copies are always on hold). Telgemeier remembers her youth very well.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
This is one of my daughters favorite books and she was excited for me to read it. It gives a realistic account of what can happen to a girl as she transitions from adolescence to the teenage years. This would be a great book to recommend to any young girl as it delivers an important message about being true to yourself and not to be afraid to be an individual.
  KristenNevala | Feb 6, 2016 |
A joy of a comic to read and it reminded me of my own adventures in orthodontics. In the time-honored teen tradition, Raina is scheduled to get braces to correct an overbite. However, a fall knocks out her two front teeth, complicating the process. A series of visits to the dentist, the endodontist, orthodontist and periodontist over four years finally gets her smile back on track. (As Raina cracks: "I didn't even know there were this many kinds of 'dontists.'") Of course, being a teenager, she also endures the highs and lows of high school, friends, crushes and self-consciousness. "But the more I focused on my interests, the more it brought out things I liked about myself." ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |

Raina Telgemeierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, JohnDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pelham, CassandraEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yue, StephanieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
“Smile!!”

From sixth grade through tenth, Raina copes with a variety of dental problems that affect her appearance and how she feels about herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,262,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible