Smile by Raina Telgemeier
Info:GRAPHIX (2010), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:checked out

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Drama by Raina Telgemeier (kaledrina)
    Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Peanut by Ayun Halliday (kaledrina)

Raina is just trying to be a normal 6th grader, she's in girl scouts and have great friends. One day she was running up to her house and fell and broke her tooth. The dentist fixed it with some cast but it doesn't become fixed in a snap. Her teeth looked all weird so she had to have braces to fix it. After a while her friend began making fun of her. She tolerates it for a long time. She has to go through a headgear, braces, and even a retainer with fake teeth attached to it. After she gets her braces taken off her teeth looks perfect. An earthquake hits where she lives and messes everything up. She later meets a boy that has braces too and they started to have a crush on each other. As her friend pants Raina, she has enough and refuses to be their friend anymore. She then hangs out with people who respect her.
Amazing book for kids to read it's funny with a little school-drama. Raina Telgemeier made an amazing book. The fact that that Raina has to deal with drama while being embarrassed about her teeth. It proves that even something so small like running to your house can make it so you need years to fix something. She wanted (in my opinion) to show kids that they have to be careful because they can get hurt. ( )
  CaitlynO.B1 | May 28, 2015 |
This book is about a girl who knocked out her teeth when she fell. She had to go through tons of dentist appointments. Her friends where not the best friends she was exactly looking for. She had a few crushes but later she found herself not caring what other people think but how she thinks about herself. She ended her friendship with the girls and found some new friends that liked her for her and she got to do more things that she loves. In the end she was happy with herself and the choices that she made. ( )
  tesia.rose3 | May 24, 2015 |
This was my first graphic novel, and I loved it! This was so fun to read, I flew through it. I would say I really enjoyed it mostly because I went through the same retainer/headset/braces timeline as her and could definitely relate. Makes me wish I had this book when I was in 8th grade! ( )
  taleofnight | May 17, 2015 |
Smile was adorable. It captured the essence of middle school awkwardness and worries so perfectly, and I can see why it's so popular. ( )
  photonegative | Apr 14, 2015 |
This was forced on me by Miss Boo, who picked it up at the school library yesterday and read it several times in one day. It's a great little autobiographical story about the author losing her two front teeth as a young girl (tripped while running with friends) and the subsequent long term dental treatments while having to deal with everyday life: school, boys, frenemies, and an earthquake. I'm really glad that Miss Boo enjoyed it as much as she did, I think she's the perfect age for this story with its themes of self-acceptance and growing up. ( )
  wookiebender | Apr 3, 2015 |

Raina Telgemeierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, JohnDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pelham, CassandraEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yue, StephanieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
“Smile!!”

From sixth grade through tenth, Raina copes with a variety of dental problems that affect her appearance and how she feels about herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,285,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible