Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of…

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain (edition 2008)

by John J. Ratey, Eric Hagerman (Contributor)

Member:andrea1303
Title:Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain
Authors:John J. Ratey
Other authors:Eric Hagerman (Contributor)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2008), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Science, Wishlist

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John J. Ratey

It's good because it got me doing more exercise - for my brain. ( )
  scottkirkwood | Dec 4, 2018 |
A book that spends the entire time telling you, through proven scientific findings, how exercise improves your physical and mental health. It is a fantastic book and I recommend reading it if you are at all interested in the benefits of exercise.

Bottom line: just exercise, preferably a type that you enjoy doing, and do it regularly. Keep physically active, your well-being depends on it. ( )
  Kronomlo | Jun 14, 2017 |
This has been sitting in my Audible library for a while. I think I started it instead of Abercrombie's Heroes because I wanted to listen to more non-fic in an "eat more broccoli" sort of way.

THIS BROCCOLI IS DELICIOUS!!!

Ratey makes the case for exercise as a therapy for many psychiatric disorders based on neuroscience, good studies, and persuasive argumentation. He's not selling a panacea. He's not against treating disorders w/ pharmaceuticals, but he does show the evidence that exercise (both aerobic and more complex movements like martial-arts or dancing) create positive changes in brain chemistry and architecture.

It is persuasive, smart, and fun to read. Highly recommended. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Excellent book! Not only does exercise help prevent anxiety and depression, but it also helps reverse the effects of aging and grows your brain. You don't have to run, walking works too. ( )
  kelli413 | Mar 25, 2014 |
this is a great book! it really inspired me to become more active. ( )
  julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |
To Kenneth Cooper, Carl Cotman, and Phil Lawler, three revolutionaries without whom this book could not have been written

A groundbreaking and fascinating investigation into the transformative effects of exercise on the brain, from the bestselling author and renowned psychiatrist John J. Ratey, MD.

Did you know you can beat stress, lift your mood, fight memory loss, sharpen your intellect, and function better than ever simply by elevating your heart rate and breaking a sweat? The evidence is incontrovertible: Aerobic exercise physically remodels our brains for peak performance.

In SPARK, John J. Ratey, M.D., embarks upon a fascinating and entertaining journey through the mind-body connection, presenting startling research to prove that exercise is truly our best defense against everything from depression to ADD to addiction to aggression to menopause to Alzheimer's. Filled with amazing case studies (such as the revolutionary fitness program in Naperville, Illinois, which has put this school district of 19,000 kids first in the world of science test scores), SPARK is the first book to explore comprehensively the connection between exercise and the brain. It will change forever the way you think about your morning run---or, for that matter, simply the way you think

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:43 -0400)

Explores the mind-body connection, presenting startling research to prove that exercise is truly our best defense against everything from depression to ADD to addiction to aggression to menopause to Alzheimer's.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,519,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible