Rick Steves' Scandinavia by Rick Steves

Rick Steves' Scandinavia

by Rick Steves

Series: Rick Steves'

551214,390 (4)1

(Edition 2012) Not sure if it makes any sense to rate or review a travel book, but since I’m always recommending Rick Steves books and am a self-proclaimed Rick Steves loyalist, it seems to make sense to give it a go.

I read parts of this book, Finland, Helsinki, and Scandinavian History to be exact, in preparation for an upcoming business trip where I have no more than a few hours of free time and a new team to meet. Leave it to Rick to give me a quick tutorial on the area’s proud and rich history, at least enough to help me sound somewhat educated about their formidable past, complete with somewhat ‘musical chair’ rulers (even though Finland itself is relatively young compared to the other Scandinavian countries). As always, Rick concisely gives a simple walking tour (may or may not be a good idea given it will be 29 deg F there) around the hotel and a few highlights – enough to stretch my legs after a long flight. Thanks for always being my go-to source!

One worthy quote from the history portion, which happens to coincide with one of my favorite thought-provoking themes – that hero and villain are but two sides of the same coin:
“In 1520, Denmark invaded Sweden and – in the notorious Stockholm Bloodbath – massacred 80 rebellious Swedish nobles in the city’s main square, Stortorget. Gustav Vasa rallied the enraged Swedes and rove out Denmark’s King Christian, known as Christian II in Denmark and as Christian the Tyrant in Sweden.”

A final interesting note that Gustav Vasa was then crowned King of Sweden on June 6, 1523 – and is the origin of the name for Wasa flatbread! ( )
1 vote varwenea | Mar 13, 2013 |
Scandinavia--known for its stunning natural beauty, fun-loving cities, trend-setting design, progressive politics, high latitudes, and even higher taxes--is one of Europe's most enjoyable and most interesting corners.

With this guide, you'll set sail to Europe's most prosperous corner, a smorgasbord of Viking ships, deep green fjords, stave churches, brooding castles, and colorful farmhouses. Explore the sleek, modern capital cities of Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, and Tallinn. Cruise through Stockholm's scenic archipelago, and sample the Baltic charms of Tallinn. Delve deep into Norway's scenic Sognefjord and bike through the idyllic Danish countryside on the castaway island of Aero. And take some time out from sightseeing to get your blood pumping in a steamy Finnish sauna.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,452,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible